Whats with the price of pork spare ribs

mr blizzard

We buy the sweet and sour spare ribs for the bbq a couple of times a month, and they are sooooooooo good.

They are plain ribs cut in 1 1/2 strips, roughly 2kg to a pack.

In the summer we were buying them at the store for $24 to $27 a pack

Now they are$58 to $61 for the same package :wallbash:

I have heard meat fish and poultry were going up 3 to 5 % but 100%?

Up till 2 or 3 months ago the prices were not that far off of Alberta.

What are prices like in your area. The kicker is the butcher admitted if they dont sell they just throw it out anyways.

Blizz

That is an absolutely ridiculous price for my area! Im not sure about NWT. I would not even think about eating ribs for that price usually back ribs are a little more pricey than side ribs, but if cooked and prepared right side ribs can be better than back ribs. That being said I haven't bought ribs in a few months, when they go on sale I load up, I food seal them and into the freezer. I usually can get 2 long racks for about 25-30 bucks at Costco. I'm not sure if there charging more because the ribs you purchase are prepared for you, if so by your own make/buy a good marinade and do it yourself. I find its always a little more expensive going to a butcher than a grocery store chain, however sometimes the best quality meats I get are from rural local farmers.

last year, there was a long winter, and a feed shortage. That forced a lot of livestock farms to seriously cull down their numbers. Pork was quite cheap last year.

Roll into 2014, and the price of beef and pork goes up considerably because there just aren't the numbers of animals available for the slaughter house. Some of the prices at the auction got kinda crazy.

I buy meat in bulk every fall. Last year I bought bulk lean ground beef at $1.29lb, this year$1.99lb. Whole pork leg went from $.99lb to $1.49lb

Edited by bigugli

When we started using all our corn to make ethanol to burn in our vehicles it drove feed prices way up and farmers reduced livestock production since there was no margin left. We are still seeing the effects of that on the livestock prices even though the grain prices have retreated to some degree. Pork has increased 65% since November 2011.

Edited by G.mech

Not sure what it cost a pound, but I always look for the sales and buy them when they are about $7-$8 a slab. I looked in the store the other day and they were $17 for a slab; no way am I paying that for the amount of meat you get off of them. I understand why the costs go up, but they are all gong to put themselves out of business if you ask me.

Thanks guys

They are called country style loin ribs, not made spaecial by the butcher just plain old ribs on the shelf wrapped in styrofoam and shrink wrap

We used to go half and half on a cow with my brother back when we were in Barrie

Just one problem there are no farms up here lol

Thank God we have whities and lakers though, I think I will go and fire up the ice auger

Cheers Blizz

Probably has more to do with the massive die off of pigglets from the virus going around.. than the price of feed.

PED has not been a major factor in pork prices and has been basically under control in Canada since early summer. It had a moderately more significant effect the US but since most (about 60%) of our pork is exported the effect here has been minimal. The single biggest cost in raising livestock is feed, you cannot discount that.

A not bad summary of the cause and effects:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/higher-meat-prices-in-store-for-consumers-1.2750441

Edited by G.mech

yes food prices have gone up, no question. I can see in Yellowknife prices being higher due to transportation. . . .Fish is a lot better, but down here we get shaft for fish.

Here I can can a difference of a $1 a lb just by going from Fortinos to NoFrills and they are owned by the same company!

Something is wrong here, just like gas prices, differ by a wide margin from a one area to another.

We do buy ribs as another member suggested when they are at around $2 a lb.

I've had a good butcher for 46 years and he keeps telling me buy ribeye steaks in the winter! :) wonder why?

We are at the mercy of the "providers" and they can set prices as they wish as long as it meets their $ needs.

I am a butcher of 15 years, beef prices have gone nuts due the harsh winter, in combination with the states buying our cattle. now, that normally wouldn't be an issue, however, farmers have been keeping animals meant for slaughter, as breeding animals, therefore reducing the number of cattle going to market.

for instance, ground beef has gone from 8.77/kg to 12.10/kg

not sure why pork has gone up, but it hasn't gone up too badly, not like the beef, but most suspect the piglet disease, as well as cost of feed.

and f course, chicken farmers seeing that beef and pork have gone up, have also increased their prices to get their'cut' of this crazyness

yes food prices have gone up, no question. I can see in Yellowknife prices being higher due to transportation. . . .Fish is a lot better, but down here we get shaft for fish.

Here I can can a difference of a $1 a lb just by going from Fortinos to NoFrills and they are owned by the same company!

Something is wrong here, just like gas prices, differ by a wide margin from a one area to another.

We do buy ribs as another member suggested when they are at around $2 a lb.

I've had a good butcher for 46 years and he keeps telling me buy ribeye steaks in the winter! :) wonder why?

We are at the mercy of the "providers" and they can set prices as they wish as long as it meets their $ needs.

just don't buy them around holidays in the winter, places cook the prime rib roasts instead of steaks

When your buying side ribs it's 1/2 bone and gristle, or more, don't buy it. And if any butcher says they throw it out they lie, that's what sausages are made of, sticky pork. Just today I saw a small piece of outside round, not inside, outside, maybe 6" long, 4" across and 1/2" thick. $5.75 at Food Town in Cayuga and we have beef farms this way. WHAT!!!! I eat that much taste testing. I don't know how a family with kids can even afford medium ground beef today buying from the grocery store. Last week whole chickens on at $1.99, bought 10. Once and a while pork loin on at $1.99, bought as many as they had in the display and waited for the butcher to package 5 more. Cut them in 3 pound pieces. When they have eye of the round on sale buy them all, add some fat I get from the butcher and make ground beef. The boys and I are splitting on a 1/2 beef next week from a local guy. Who can afford food today, veggies ain't cheap either. $3.99 for Red Peepers, anything imported is nuts, come on man. 4 bucks for rye bread??? I told my wife last month if this keeps up we will be skinny soon.

Just today a local farmer told us they are concerned with cattle rustlers believe me or not. Think about it, it might be more lucrative than selling dope and legal to have possession. I can hear it now, " Your Honor the accused was in possession of a pig with the intent to traffic".

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Here stateside our big cattle states have had drought problems, last year (2013) I guess was especially bad. Feed prices as I recall more than doubled and suitable grazing land was in short supply. There were numerous news reports on farmers selling cattle and hogs early to avoid feed costs and shortages, which also lowers the herd population for the future. Even in my area hay and corn prices as feed more than doubled, an acute shortage of it, it was a very dry summer here also.

Rustlers? I was in Florida for 5 weeks in 2009, there were a number of reports there of horses being butchered in their fields, they said black market horse meat could go for 40 bucks a pound.