Whats with the price of pork spare ribs

mr blizzard

Buying groceries wasn't too bad until 2-3 years ago when I figured out how much a pregnant and nursing mother eats. Now she's mid term with the second one and the little guy is a 19 month old eating machine. Between this and prices rising in the last couple years I have just given up on caring how much groceries cost and just hand over the card. It's even more expensive when you're choosing healthier options.

I plan on getting back into breeding rabbits for meat as they're cheaper to raise and healthier to eat when compared to chickens. At 8 weeks they'll already weigh 3.5 - 4 lbs each and the meat can be used in any dish calling for chicken and they almost taste the exact same.

I am a butcher of 15 years, beef prices have gone nuts due the harsh winter, in combination with the states buying our cattle. now, that normally wouldn't be an issue, however, farmers have been keeping animals meant for slaughter, as breeding animals, therefore reducing the number of cattle going to market.

for instance, ground beef has gone from 8.77/kg to 12.10/kg

not sure why pork has gone up, but it hasn't gone up too badly, not like the beef, but most suspect the piglet disease, as well as cost of feed.

and f course, chicken farmers seeing that beef and pork have gone up, have also increased their prices to get their'cut' of this crazyness

That's bull.the price of chicken is established from the current price of feed and chick.if the farmers or processors don't agree on price it goes to third party arbitration and they decide.

That's bull.the price of chicken is established from the current price of feed and chick.if the farmers or processors don't agree on price it goes to third party arbitration and they decide.

Chicken prices are so stupid crazy. My god. The price of wings is so stupid,I dont even bother to even look anymore. I can buy ground turkey for less and make more of a meal out of it.

Chicken prices are so stupid crazy. My god. The price of wings is so stupid,I dont even bother to even look anymore. I can buy ground turkey for less and make more of a meal out of it.

Yes wings are expensive second to breast. But that has absolutely nothing to do with what the farm gate price is. That's grocery price.farmers don't set those.

ya that to me is just plain old smart shopping. You can also buy a whole uncooked chicken for cheaper than a pack of wings.

A lot of food these days have been placed on the shelf or in the cooler pretty much ready to serve to our busy/lazy lifestyles that we live.convinience comes at a huge cost. If more people went back to the basics of smart shopping they would see a huge savings on the grocery bill.

ya that to me is just plain old smart shopping. You can also buy a whole uncooked chicken for cheaper than a pack of wings.

A lot of food these days have been placed on the shelf or in the cooler pretty much ready to serve to our busy/lazy lifestyles that we live.convinience comes at a huge cost. If more people went back to the basics of smart shopping they would see a huge savings on the grocery bill.

I do buy when they are cheap whole. I have no problem cutting it up.

I do buy when they are cheap whole. I have no problem cutting it up.

I'm a poultry producer,I receive quarterly market news and trends. We are still hot and heavy in the buffalo wing craze. Grocers cannot get enough of them,especially around football games. Can't remember the exact number but the US consumed some 1.4 billion wings last Super Bowl lol. It's crazy...

Sorry to hi jack this thread guys...

You guys need to realise that in this economy all the farmers have sell to a conglomerate that sets the prices based on marketing profiles.

In other words the days of mom and pop farms gong to market is over !

And it is not a fair market for farmers as a matter of fact its pathetic .!

The only people making enough money to retire on are the conglomerate executives.

When your buying side ribs it's 1/2 bone and gristle, or more, don't buy it. And if any butcher says they throw it out they lie, that's what sausages are made of, sticky pork. Just today I saw a small piece of outside round, not inside, outside, maybe 6" long, 4" across and 1/2" thick. $5.75 at Food Town in Cayuga and we have beef farms this way. WHAT!!!! I eat that much taste testing. I don't know how a family with kids can even afford medium ground beef today buying from the grocery store. Last week whole chickens on at $1.99, bought 10. Once and a while pork loin on at $1.99, bought as many as they had in the display and waited for the butcher to package 5 more. Cut them in 3 pound pieces. When they have eye of the round on sale buy them all, add some fat I get from the butcher and make ground beef. The boys and I are splitting on a 1/2 beef next week from a local guy. Who can afford food today, veggies ain't cheap either. $3.99 for Red Peepers, anything imported is nuts, come on man. 4 bucks for rye bread??? I told my wife last month if this keeps up we will be skinny soon.

Just today a local farmer told us they are concerned with cattle rustlers believe me or not. Think about it, it might be more lucrative than selling dope and legal to have possession. I can hear it now, " Your Honor the accused was in possession of a pig with the intent to traffic".

we use Ontario FFNR (Farm Fresh, Naturally Raised) pork butts for our sausages, we don't sell side ribs at all, not a big enough market for them, people would much rather have the nice back ribs

I'm a poultry producer,I receive quarterly market news and trends. We are still hot and heavy in the buffalo wing craze. Grocers cannot get enough of them,especially around football games. Can't remember the exact number but the US consumed some 1.4 billion wings last Super Bowl lol. It's crazy...

Sorry to hi jack this thread guys...

I remember as a kids going with my mom and grandmother to a huge market in Cleveland ( The West Side Market ), it is still there today. A conglomeration of individual sellers and booths, some indoor some outdoor.

Wing and rib prices then always seemed to be crazy low, it seemed like they couldn't give them away. Mom and my grandmother never bought any, pay for bone? The rise of sporting events, sports bars and such has changed all that!

You guys need to realise that in this economy all the farmers have sell to a conglomerate that sets the prices based on marketing profiles.

The only people making enough money to retire on are the conglomerate executives.

not true, we still buy from farms that are owner/operators, only pork is from a conglomerate. our beef comes from a single farm, chicken from a single farm, lamb from a single farm, and its all 100% ontario product, free range(not organic), no growth hormones

And if we all supported our local butchers. Or farmers directly, we save money and the the farmer is happy to have the money. It's not the conglomerates fault the average joe is lazy as a word I can't say here. There just smart and making a buck of of it.

10 years ago I could drive 20 minutes in any direction from our farm and be at a local butcher. Say about 6 in our area.

Down to 1 now. With expensive red tape regulation,the government has forced a lot of our local butchers to close the doors. It's sad. Red tape everywhere anymore

not true, we still buy from farms that are owner/operators, only pork is from a conglomerate. our beef comes from a single farm, chicken from a single farm, lamb from a single farm, and its all 100% ontario product, free range(not organic), no growth hormones

Growth hormones where banned decades ago

Not all farmers participate in the factory system. There are still a lot of independent family farms turning a good business. They are doing OK because they do not participate in the "conglomerate" as you call it. Being independent of that system also means having to work harder, and being more creative.

we buy shares into a local farm. one of the best purchases we've ever made.

chickens, beef and pork every year.

we got all the produce we want every saturday or sunday through the season

they grow tons of herbs as well.

they also teach locals to can etc...

local farms can go above and beyond and we appreciate it greatly...

no doubt its saved us thousands in food cost in the last two years, and the food is unreal good

our kids have fun too cause they let us go out and even pick food if we choose

When I don't have any in the freezer we shop here. Again buy in bulk when it's on sale. Always a nice steak on sale, that top sirloin at 6.99 a lb. Ain't to shabby. Tbones are often on at 6 bucks as well as sew York strips. Best part they cut it to your liking.

http://www.dipietros.ca/#!dipietros-weekly-flyer/c1e6k

Edited by Freshtrax