Can you change a flat tire ??....NF

lew

Couple posts lately about tires got me thinking about something.

I was driving down hwy 28 a couple weeks back when the dashboard lit up telling me I had a soft tire. I pulled over for a look and sure enough the back right was low with a 2" wood screw in the tread. I went down the road 1/2 a mile to a donut shop at 28 & 7 and parked around back and changed the tire.

My current vehicle is an F-150 with 20" wheels so their heavy and awkward but not really that big of a deal to change. I change them twice a year for the winter tires anyway so I'm used to doing it and have for as many years as I can remember.

I carry an old sweater and gloves to keep somewhat clean while on the road plus a tarp to kneel on. I lubricate the mechanism holding the tire under the truck twice a year to make sure it always works properly plus check the spare tire pressure.

I also keep the jack lubricated, plus carry a power bar if a lug is too tight and even some short pieces of 2 x 4 to put under the jack if the ground is soft.

I do most of my driving on country roads and don't want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere because of something as simple as a flat tire. This was my 1st flat in 15 years but it was good to know I was prepared.

I mentioned to a friend that I'd changed the tire and he was amazed. Said he's never done it and wouldn't even know how, and doesn't even know where his spare tire or jack is. If he gets a flat, he calls a tow truck to change it for him.

Twice now in the last couple weeks I've seen guys parked on the side of the road with flats and just sitting in their cars as if they were waiting for help.

Just curious, can you change a tire on your vehicle on the side of the road, or do you need to call for help ??

Edited by lew

I try to do as much maintenance on my vehicles as possible. All oil changes / brakes / most suspension work etc. Google is your friend for this stuff... if you don't know you can for sure find it on YouTube.

If I get a flat on a side road or I can get to a ramp etc. I will change it myself. Anywhere on a 400 series highway / QEW / even HWY 6.... I will call CAA. Not worth getting run over.

Burt :)

Good topic Lew.

I'd bet a large percentage couldn't get their spare out of the storage if they are under the vehicle.
The mechanisms tend to seize, mostly due to salt and dirt getting into it.You are wise to lubricate it.

Also it is important to get the torque on the wheel nuts close to where it is called for. Too tight can damage the stud, wheel and nuts. Too loose is obvious.

I agree 100% on wheel torque on today's vehicles; the old adage of twist the wrench until the wheel nut barks, is a sure way of loosing a wheel, warping wheels, hubs and brake rotors.

Here at the shop I will not allow my techs to tighten wheels with their impact guns. They can zip them up; but then its a torque wrench to finish the job.

Dan.

I've got a breaker bar in the truck with sockets for both the trailer and the truck

Wonder how many folks just assume the lug nuts on a trailer are the same size as the tow vehicle. Bit of a shock when you think your prepared.

I have changed a tire in the past, but now I have a car with run flats and NO spare so it's not even an option for me.

I did get a flat once on the run flat, stopped at gas stations for air a few times and limped it home to my local tire shop to have a plug put in it.

I could switch to non-run flat tires, but I'd lose half my trunk as there's nowhere to keep a spare.

Edited by Dutch01

Of course I can change my own tire. :rolleyes:

In some pretty harsh conditions to boot!!!!

While on the way back from the lake my cabin is on I had a flat and pulled over to inspect.

If possible I use my compressor to fill up a slow leak but this was a sharp rock in the tread and not slow.

So I replace the tire with the spare no biggie.

OH, did I mention it was -50 with the wind chill? :canadian:

Another motorist stopped and asked if I needed help (I didn't) :good:

first time I changed a tire woke me up pretty quick. i was around 20 and had just worked a 12 hours shift, then started the 5 hour drive home for my days off. I blew my tire in the worst spot on the 502(highway to dryden) It was dead cold and lots of snow. I was stuck in on a corner just after a hill. I knew how to do it but I was not prepared for this situation. I called 911 to have them try to radio truckers or other traffic if possible. cops from dryden got over very quick to block the road. I was just a sitting duck prior. thank god nobody got hurt. the police brought a chain and we towed the car off to a safe area. changed the tire. and everything was fine. man was I cold though. If I had been stuck there I could have been in real danger of hypothermia. it was -32 or something like that. everything changed after that. our vehicles always have extra winter gear for the whole family, food and proper tools. i changed that tire on uneven ground too. dont do that if you can avoid it. get roadside assistance or a tow

Of course I can change my own tire. :rolleyes:

In some pretty harsh conditions to boot!!!!

While on the way back from the lake my cabin is on I had a flat and pulled over to inspect.

If possible I use my compressor to fill up a slow leak but this was a sharp rock in the tread and not slow.

So I replace the tire with the spare no biggie.

OH, did I mention it was -50 with the wind chill? :canadian:

Another motorist stopped and asked if I needed help (I didn't) :good:

drifter your a boss!

You changed a wheel, not a tire. Peeling a tire off a rim along the side of the road is a whole different ball game.

I don't even carry a spare, last flat was a desintigrated wrangler over 30 years ago but I don't go far.

If you goy a tire leaking with a screw in it, put in a bigger screw, my brother had 14 nails in a tire, with a compressor in the truck this worked fine for him untill I was driving, hit a pot hole and blew all the nails out.