New fee from the MNR!

Bill Shearer

Just saw this on FB

Logo-MNR-Watch-v3.png
HomeNative IssuesMainStream MediaOffensesOFAHOpinionMNR Press ReleasesAbout This Site- Contact Us!Navigation
Service Fee Will Support Fish and Wildlife Management

Beginning in December 2014, the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry will introduce a $2 service fee to directly support fish and wildlife management across Ontario.

All fees will be invested through the Fish and Wildlife Special Purpose Account. Fish and wildlife programs improve fishing and hunting in Ontario through licensing, enforcement, scientific research and fish stocking.

The service fee will be applied to:

• Outdoors Cards.
  • Hunting and fishing licences.
  • Draws for which a fee is charged.

The service fee will be charged across all points of purchase, including:

• Online.
  • By phone.
  • In-person at a ServiceOntario counter or private licence issuer.
Quick Facts
  • The Fish and Wildlife Special Purpose Account currently supports approximately two-thirds of fishing and hunting opportunities in Ontario.

personally a 2 dollar fee means nothing. If someone literally complains about this but then goes and buys a 400 dollar fishing rod, they should be slapped.

Personally i fees for fishing were much higher to deter poaching and overfishing. I am all for introducing the sport to as many people as possible, however there are too many "catch and kill" fishermen out there.

Edited by AKRISONER

When the fishing licence was introduced almost 30 years ago, every cent collected was to support fisheries management in Ontario . So WTH is this 2 bucks for?? :wallbash:

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/thestar/doc/435443542.html?FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=May%2007,%201986&author=John%20Power&pub=Toronto%20Star&edition=&startpage=&desc=Anglers%20welcome%20resident%20licence%20to%20help%20fisheries

Maybe the Liberals had this in the works for many months. Maybe they didn't.

But between the new charges for a Seniors license, and the new $2 "on top of everything tax".

This really is a bunch of crap.

Sure, it's only $2. An extra large Timmies. etc, etc.

But it never stops.

AND WE DON"T GET ANY THING FOR IT!

When the fishing licence was introduced almost 30 years ago, every cent collected was to support fisheries management in Ontario . So WTH is this 2 bucks for?? :wallbash:

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/thestar/doc/435443542.html?FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=May%2007,%201986&author=John%20Power&pub=Toronto%20Star&edition=&startpage=&desc=Anglers%20welcome%20resident%20licence%20to%20help%20fisheries

Yes it was promised and has been done.

What the crooks didn't tell the public was it was replacing current funding with the license fees.

So all the the original funding went elsewhere in the gubmint and the license $$$$ taken in are less than the $$$$ they took away.

When introduced all of us anglers thought "GREAT" more $$$ for the MNR "I'm in!!"

But instead of the license $$$ being added to the then current budget it replaced it. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Edited by DRIFTER_016

$2.00, $2.00, $2.00! There never seems to be an end to the amount of user fees we get charged. "User Fee" is just another way of applying a tax on top of a cost so you can tax the extra $2.00.

I guess they have to do something to replace the tax revenu they aren't collecting since gas prices are dropping and more people are quitting smoking.

I finally became a senior and got to fish for free, now they want to start charging me to fish again and if that isn't enough, they want even more $$$$.

Oh well, I spose they'll just raise my pension to offset the difference.

First of all I have long been a proponent of a standard cost for fishing licences - no breaks for conservation licences OR seniors. Sorry to those more "experienced" than I. This is coming from a guy who voluntarly used to buy a sport licence when a conservation would have done even through Uni when some years I didnt even fish.

I support that if all the funds stay within the MNR for fishing related costs and ENFORCEMENT of laws and regulations. Many years ago the MNR got away from enforcement and into management. How many threads on this board are people bellyaching about the LACK of enforcement of the regs?

This fee is a step in the right direction.

What do you "get" for it - you get to fish some of the best freshwater in the World.

I dont want Ontario to wind up like the UK where you have to pay thousands a year to private clubs to fish carp.

What if someone said the two bucks was going directly to fight Asian Carp or to hire a few new COs to enforce the regs? Thesefunds will be staying in the MNR coffers and that is a huge step forward.

Fishing in Ontario to me is worth a heck of a lot more than what I pay for my card ans sport license even with a couple more dollars tacked on.

Fishing in Ontario to me is worth a heck of a lot more than what I pay for my card ans sport license even with a couple more dollars tacked on.

X2.

I don't think anyone likes extra fee's. However I have always felt fishing is about the best bang for my buck of all my recreational choices.

lieberals are just getting warmed up boys and girls. Cupboard is bare so these fees will be on everything everywhere and believe you me the 2 bucks in this case ain't going to anything related to angling and hunting and anyone that believes that, well..........

Lew;

I don't mind paying a $2.00 fee, if it helps. However, as a seniors I / we don't need a card, or licence, so there doesn't appear to me that there is any place for the MNR to apply their $2.00 fee.

note to garry2rs

they also want to make seniors pay for a card and license

so it will be 38 bucks more for you

ouch

Lew;

I don't mind paying a $2.00 fee, if it helps. However, as a seniors I / we don't need a card, or licence, so there doesn't appear to me that there is any place for the MNR to apply their $2.00 fee.

As of 2016. It's proposed seniors pay $23.11 per year for a Sport Fishing License plus $9.36 for and Outdoors Card. So they will have the place to apply it.

Edited by Old Man

For those interested in understanding the MNR rationale for increasing fees, see the discussion paper available at http://apps.mnr.gov.on.ca/public/fil...rod_110525.pdf

The fees for all resident and non-resident angling and hunting licences and permits go into a Special Purpose Account (SPA)

Fees for Ontario resident angling and hunting licences and permits constitute 61% of the SPA

Fees for non-resident angling and hunting licences and permits constitute 33% of the SPA

The Ministry of Natural Resources fish and wildlife program costs 100 million annually. Unfortunately, the SPA only cover 67% of that annual cost. So the MNR is looking for ways to increase revenues.