Ram 1500 Diesel - Mileage Post (NF)

hutch4113

Do you think that will continue with the price drop in oil? Diesel seems much more right now. Another handy site to see the trends on Ontario gasoline/Diesel prices:

Gas: http://www.energy.gov.on.ca/en/fuel-prices/fuel-price-data/?fuel=reg&yr=2014

Diesel: http://www.energy.gov.on.ca/en/fuel-prices/fuel-price-data/?fuel=DSL&yr=2014

I don't see why not, they are both oil based and fluctuate with the price per barrell. Diesel demand fluctuates seasonally due to it also being used as heating oil.

The links you provided illustrate the gaps summer vs winter.

Historically diesel was cheaper for many years here. The new sulfur content marked the change over to more $ for diesel. It is not that the process warrants the price it is just because they can. Most of the oil companies profits are made on diesel and heating oil due to the laws of economics and the gas crowd makes more noise than the diesel consumers. With the introduction of the Eco Boost and other more efficent gas engines it makes the US move even further from being major diesel consumers.

Art

Art, what is your mileage in the ecoboost F150?.. I had a cop at a ride check call me a .... ...... after sticking his head in and reading my 5.0 coyote fuel read out that was sitting at 11.8 l / 100 km when he stopped me, as his ecobust (as he called it) was going through 18+ / 100 km.

Since then, now 2 years, mine has crept up to using about 13 / 100 km on average highway city. Highway only is still about 11.9.. pulling the 2150 Lund Leah keeps it below 16 l / 100 km. I can't do it.. but she always seems to.

The thing with a boosted vehicle is the power is great - but it comes at a price. I traded in a Car that was a turbo - when I just cruised it had great mileage - but what is the fun in that?

If I had the Ecoboost Truck - I know my mileage would suck, because of the way I drive. In Truth - there really is no "Eco" in the Boost - unless driving style is changed. Even the Diesel does not get the best mileage if it is driven aggressively.

Case in point - the Truck I am driving now, gets about the same mileage as the Car I traded in, when comparing only City driving. It may have something to do with my acceleration from stop lights.... :clapping: .

I am averageing 11.5 in the last 6 months in my 2014 5.3 Silverado. I drive very conseratively @ just over the speed limit and have only towed a few times. The milage drops to 15.5 l per 100 while towing a 17' bassboat. Lately with the sub zero temps it is difficult to stay below 12l

The only milage surprise I have found is that accelerating very slowly in city driving actually uses more fuel. It is best to accelerate about the same rate as average car drivers do, then let off as you approach the speed limit. This way the tranny shifts to high gear sooner and I get better milage than when I feather the throttle right from a start.

I am averageing 11.5 in the last 6 months in my 2014 5.3 Silverado. I drive very conseratively @ just over the speed limit and have only towed a few times. The milage drops to 15.5 l per 100 while towing a 17' bassboat. Lately with the sub zero temps it is difficult to stay below 12l

The only milage surprise I have found is that accelerating very slowly in city driving actually uses more fuel. It is best to accelerate about the same rate as average car drivers do, then let off as you approach the speed limit. This way the tranny shifts to high gear sooner and I get better milage than when I feather the throttle right from a start.

But how is it when your husband drives it??? :rofl2: Just kidding barrysts; I couldn't resist!

My last 2 F-150's both had 5.4 Tritons and neither could do better than 15.0 L/100km when babied and were over 20 L/100km towing my 18' boat. They didn't however use much fuel when they were in for repairs which was a good thing because they were there often; thank god for extended warranties. I have driven 8 Ford trucks over the last 20 years and couldn't have been happier but the last two are the end for me so I bought the new Laramie diesel. Hopefully I'm not disappointed...... time will tell. Also, when I traded in the F-150 the Dodge dude told me they would not accept it on trade if it had the Ecoboost; not sure why exactly but that's what I was told.

Edited by G.mech

Wayne I am getting 13.8L per 100 kilometers mpg combined and 13L per 100 kilometers highway. The towing of 6000 lbs gets me 16.8L per kilometer mpg when I run to Canada but remember we are doing 65-85 mph all the way. I am very happy with the Eco Boost and so far have had 0 issues with it. For the people who say they blow up or have issues usually it is the way they are driven rather than the engine having a design flaw. All companies have an off day on the build but so far Ford has always stood behind any of their products and made things right for me at least. Premium gas is not needed if you are driving it normally so it is not an additional expense that I have. I also have a 3.72 gearset instead of the normal 3.31 so I run 500 rpms more at highway speeds than the stock units. I have a new Transit van coming in the next few weeks so I will be the owner of 2 Eco Boosts now. I am for the most part a Ford man rather than a Dodge person because I have over the years made friends with the auto shop and the dealer so I get treated better than average. Once you decide to spend 40-50 thousand on a vehicle for towing the cost of fuel really does not make or break the deal of getting it. I have motorcycles that can burn up to 10 l per 100 kilometers and a few boats that get between 1.5 and 3 MPG so to grump about my truck would be foolish lol.

Art

Can't wait for the Canyon in 2016 with the baby Duramax.

or the colorado...ive been waiting for this truck for years...

although now i have the TDI it might be a bit...

Forget 100 a tank, how about 1100km on 50 bucks...just did a trip to montreal last week, now thats what I am talking about.

or the colorado...ive been waiting for this truck for years...

although now i have the TDI it might be a bit...

Forget 100 a tank, how about 1100km on 50 bucks...just did a trip to montreal last week, now thats what I am talking about.

There's a reason why I've been driving a TDI since forever, lol. Actually my entire family does.

Wayne I am getting 13.8L per 100 kilometers mpg combined and 13L per 100 kilometers highway. The towing of 6000 lbs gets me 16.8L per kilometer mpg when I run to Canada but remember we are doing 65-85 mph all the way.

Art

Art, I have an old 04 Cummins and regularly get 11 -12 L/100km, that's with a truck that probably weights over a 100 more than yours. You claim to get 16.8 L/100km with a 6000lb trailer at 65-85 mpg? One of my sons has a '13 Ecoguzzle, towing a 17' all aluminum enclosed trailer with 2 snowmobiles, we averaged between 22-28L/100km at no more than 70mph.

the 14and up hemis using iridium spark plugs now should go 160k which is good seeing the pluga are $22 each. for whoever is asking

so far the ecodiesel seems a winner quiet efficient time well tell with emissions problems, injectors and pumps, really the only choice for 1/2 tons at the moment, like to see the titan with the 5L cummins it it should be a stump puller as well.

the 14and up hemis using iridium spark plugs now should go 160k which is good seeing the pluga are $22 each. for whoever is asking

so far the ecodiesel seems a winner quiet efficient time well tell with emissions problems, injectors and pumps, really the only choice for 1/2 tons at the moment, like to see the titan with the 5L cummins it it should be a stump puller as well.

do i sense some gasoline butt hurt?

Come hook your TDI to my boat and launch it anytime.

TDI is great for long hauls with no gear or passengers, but your not towing or hauling gear with one....right?

Thats what I thought.

S.