Ram 1500 Diesel - Mileage Post (NF)

hutch4113

The X5 is a BMW SUV that comes with a diesel, same with the Audi Q7 and the Audi Q5 :)   I've been running diesel vehicles for about 15 years or so (All VW TDI's)..   I have one, my parents do as well, as does my sister.  I'm the resident family mechanic, lol!    You really can't compare the old diesels with the ones you can buy today, way more power, a lot cleaner, etc.  Sure they have their problems (Like all cars do) but for me at least the positives outweigh the negatives.   My last TDi had 600,000kms on it before I retired it, my current wagon has close to 400,000kms with no signs of letting up yet.  

Keep your eye open for the new GMC Canyon in 2016 with the 2.8 Duramax, should be quite the truck! 

After watching this video of the BMW i8 I can honestly say there is no way I will ever own a BMW.

The designers were obiusly on crack when they came up with this design.   :huh:  :unsure:  :wacko:

It's still redonkulous!!!! Don't pull up on this door handle or it will break. To open the hood you need two people and two screwdrivers. And you get to wait a minute and a half for the fuel door to open. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

​Stupid that you can't open the hood. That means you need to make an appointment to have the coolant level checked. :wacko:

I am doing mostly city driving right now, I haven't had a chance to take it on a highway trip yet. That being said, I usually drive it 30 - 40 kms round trip. I do not drive it hard, and have only been off road once.

12 city is good and about matches what i see. The v8 gc did about 16l 100 city lol

Ecodiesel 10,600lbs, F150 13,300lbs... when are you ever pulling close to 10,000lbs? I would guess, never. It's got a lot more with it being a half tonne chassis then it does the engine.

Also, if you are pulling a trailer with that much weight, you're buying a Duramax, Cummins, Powerstroke.. Not a 1500 series truck.

I used the word "carry" but, I properly should have used the word Payload. I agree that I would rarely ever be pulling that much. Thats why I was referring to payload capacity.

RAM 1500 Laramie, V6 Diesel, Quad, auto, 6.4, 4x4 gives a payload of 1,076 lbs. Towing of 8,000.

Two guys, an ATV in the bed and you are already near Max. Thats before your gear or any tongue weight.

Apparently, some hunters could easily be dinged.

Some other model Diesels with same specs had a max payload of close to 1,400 lbs and a towing of 7,800lbs.

I think this is what he was referring to.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/

Cheers,

Mark

I would consider the V6 Pentastar instead similar fuel economy less money upfront.

Im happy happy happy with mine Gord.

Im not spending any more on fuel then I did with the Avenger. Oil change is the same as well. And I got a box to carry everything. :clapping:

HAPPY,HAPPY,HAPPY.

eco diesel is a $5600 option on the ram, easy to find a slt quad 4x4 $42000 plus for diesel option.all depends on trimline.

gonna pull trigger on a 15 ram sportsman 4wd with limited slip skid plates, 3.92 gears buckets 8.4uconnect alpine 10 speaker and sub, integrated brake controller, air suspension with some other goodies and hemi 8sp. 38k.

8sp and hemi been doing average of 11.5-13.5 per 100k on customers trucks dont see payback on diesel engine or be bothered by extra maintenance of a diesel

and who knows if this is going to remain true, but experts are saying diesel fuel will remain more expensive than standard for the next 6 to 9 months...

anyone know if there is any truth to that?

Diesel is always more in the winter and cheaper in the summer, it's like clock work. It's the added demand of home heating oil that keeps the price of diesel high in the winter. When it's July, look at the price of diesel at the pumps, always cheaper then regular.

I'm not sure where the payload numbers being quoted are from but I just picked up my new 2015 Laramie 4x4 ecodiesel crew cab and the nameplate says 1400 lbs payload, 8900 lbs max towing which is higher on both counts than the F150 Lariat 4x4 I traded. Also, the engine upcharge was $4002 over the V6.

Just wanted to make sure the facts were clear as there appear to be a lot of confusion.

Edited by G.mech

I'm not sure where the payload numbers being quoted are from but I just picked up my new 2015 Laramie 4x4 ecodiesel quad cab and the nameplate says 1400 lbs payload, 8900 lbs max towing which is higher on both counts than the F150 Lariat 4x4 I traded. Also, the engine upcharge was $4002 over the V6.

Just wanted to make sure the facts were clear as there appear to be a lot of confusion.

It's all listed on the Ram site.

eco diesel is a $5600 option on the ram, easy to find a slt quad 4x4 $42000 plus for diesel option.all depends on trimline.

gonna pull trigger on a 15 ram sportsman 4wd with limited slip skid plates, 3.92 gears buckets 8.4uconnect alpine 10 speaker and sub, integrated brake controller, air suspension with some other goodies and hemi 8sp. 38k.

8sp and hemi been doing average of 11.5-13.5 per 100k on customers trucks dont see payback on diesel engine or be bothered by extra maintenance of a diesel

That is interesting. When I purchased, the Engine was only a $2600 option (somewhere around there anyway) over the Hemi. Price has gone up some then.

That is interesting. When I purchased, the Engine was only a $2600 option (somewhere around there anyway) over the Hemi. Price has gone up some then.

That's what I thought it would be too, I had to tell the sales dude the other day that RAM was just pricing itself out of customers.

Hmmm....interesting. I was pretty much sold on the ecodiesel. Maybe I need a new game plan?

S.

Try building on their site to see what the cost is based on what trim you want. Appears to be 4500 to 5500 depending on trim.

This site is very handy to compare fuel economy between vehicles and you can even plug in your own numbers for gas prices and yearly mileage.

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/fcr-rcf/public/index-e.cfm

Edited by Spooled

The way I see it, the diesel is a great option for someone that regularly tows a few thousand pounds, since no gas truck gets decent mileage while towing! If that truck can get 20+ mpg while towing a few thousand pounds, you will see a return on your investment if youre doing a lot of it.

Try building on their site to see what the cost is based on what trim you want. Appears to be 4500 to 5500 depending on trim.

This site is very handy to compare fuel economy between vehicles and you can even plug in your own numbers for gas prices and yearly mileage.

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/fcr-rcf/public/index-e.cfm

I just bought a new Laramie with the diesel and the upgrade was $4002 over the Hemi.

Edited by G.mech

We get a lot of people dropping by here at Orangeville Chrysler....(shameless plug) asking about them and we have sold quite a few but IMHO unless you need the extra towing capacity and you tend to keep your vehicles a long time and do a lot of driving I would consider the V6 Pentastar instead similar fuel economy less money upfront.

As others have pointed out there are other things to consider like maintenance cost and longevity and re-sale value.

FYI Rob we have a White Grand Cherokee coming in soon with the ECO it`s a Summit model...we`ll have the new incentives out in a couple of days we`ll see if anything has changed!

It's interesting to hear a dealers perspective on this. We recently replaced my 2008 F150 5.4. Our leaser was pushing us hard for the ecodiesel Ram, because of the fuel consumption. We actually ordered one. Then the next day literally a truck fell in our laps due to a death in town. (unfortunate yes, but someone was going to buy it). We ended up with A 2013 F150 5.0.

The interesting thing is that on the highway it gets mid to low 11's. So when we did the math and actually calculated the fuel used. It is exactly half of what was being used before. BUT, the difference is the RAM equally outfitted cost 10k more. Now we pay fleet for our trucks so the numbers are a little different, but the idea is the same. So in the lifetime of the truck with me as a driver, It would only break even on cost after 250,000km. Similar to the Eco-boost, when they first came out. It seams it is strictly a pay now or pay later scenario. Considering that we will probably deal this one at 150... it would have never paid off.

Of course fuel consumption is different for everyone and every vehicle, you mileage may vary. Although I really enjoy my new(to me) f150, I was really excited to try the ram with the baby diesel. Maybe next time

Edited by janesy