Ram 1500 Diesel - Mileage Post (NF)

hutch4113

Thanks for the laugh John! As I pulled into Cambridge today, to pick up the GMC, I knew that I needed at least 100 liters to fill the tank. Then stood there clicking the pump at 90 bucks trying to figure out what was going on.... been a long time since gas was under 90 cents!!

As to the OP's head scratching as to where the hitch is... sounds like Dodge has followed GM's farce of a "trailering package". A blue wire.. and an orange wire run thru the frame for you to hook up and a tranny cooler, nothing else. With my F150.. a trailering package included everything and a prewired dual 7 and 4 prong receptacle. Only thing that was an option was the electric brake controller, that I got installed for free.

Good to hear you're getting some great mileage though G!

Edited by irishfield

Think positive. Between the two trucks you averages 8.45 litres / 100 km. Let's see Ecoboost beat that. :whistling:

John I am pretty sure my Eco Boost would not get that even if it was on a rollback with the engine idling.lol.

Just did the math 28.7 MPG your a funny man most of my motorcycles don't get that ...

Art

The Dodge trailering package is actually pretty decent. It includes pre-wired 7 pin & 4 pin outlets in the bumper, built-in brake control, electronic trailer sway control system, fancy ass trailering mirrors, and a Class IV receiver (but only Bighorn, Sport, & Express). That will teach me for going higher up the food chain. what the hell good is a trailering package without a hitch?? My bad for not reading the details carefully enough but it really seems dumb to me.

Off to the Reese dealer at lunch I guess....

Tupelo or g.mech, how has the ecodiesel been starting this week and what's the warmup time like? Notice any big hit in l/100?

Starting has been zero issue. I have had it plugged in (has a built in block heater). But a couple of times I did forget - so it sat overnight at -15 or so - started up first try. Generates heat pretty quick (for a diesel). When I plug it in, it is even better. With the -20, I still had heat in a couple of minutes of driving.

So far I have no concerns about cold starting.

I did not buy my RAM with the Trailer package, as I did not want the tow mirrors (just wayyyyyy to big for me). However I did get with the Hitch, and Trailer brake. One thing I really like is the built in plugs for the trailer - in particular where RAM put them.

They are on top of the bumper, unlike most that put them down by where the Hitch is. I can see these plug ins lasting a long time, as they are actually somewhat protected by where they are located.

I also bought it with Air Suspension, which is great when connecting a trailer - lower it down to connect - then it self levels - and I can raise it two inches if I need to.

I did not buy my RAM with the Trailer package, as I did not want the tow mirrors (just wayyyyyy to big for me). However I did get with the Hitch, and Trailer brake. One thing I really like is the built in plugs for the trailer - in particular where RAM put them.

They are on top of the bumper, unlike most that put them down by where the Hitch is. I can see these plug ins lasting a long time, as they are actually somewhat protected by where they are located.

I also bought it with Air Suspension, which is great when connecting a trailer - lower it down to connect - then it self levels - and I can raise it two inches if I need to.

A little rust check spray on the trailer connector makes it last much longer. Something i do on every ram service alond with all the hinges and pivots

You're talking like they're the only manufacturer with a persistent drivetrain issue lol. Don't you drive a Dodge? LOL

Buy what you like and deal with the crap. A simple google search will reveal all kinds of horror stories about every truck configuration under the sun. Pick your poison...

You're talking like they're the only manufacturer with a persistent drivetrain issue lol. Don't you drive a Dodge? LOL

Buy what you like and deal with the crap. A simple google search will reveal all kinds of horror stories about every truck configuration under the sun. Pick your poison...

No, it was only posted as an informative point. When the dealer "can't reproduce" the issue, it might help someone how to explain the problem. Yes I drive a Dodge and you can laugh.

All manufactures have issues with any mechanical thing. It is how they treat you when an issue occurs. A good dealership will make the effort to make the repairs with the least amount of inconvenience. I know if I have an issue the Ford dealer that I took the time to befriend will allow me to bring it in, give me a free loaner or a ride home if I don't need the truck and keep me informed on the repair and what they found. Since they treat me that well I send anyone who is looking at a Ford to them and they treat them just as fairly as they do me.

Art

That XR2 just pops because of the tires. Not much of a cosmetic change at all really.

Anyone here drive a Tundra???

I'm not loyal to any brand and have had the pleasure of off roading many many trucks.

I've always liked the Ford interiors, but hated the stearing. I'm they are great town trucks.

Dodge trucks have some gnarly off road capabilities but break down way more frequently then any truck I've ever drove. I dislike the interiors as well. And sometimes that jump can get you in trouble (actually almost got me killed once)

Gmc I found similar to ford's with better stearing. Awesome interiors. Not a ton of power but still off roads pretty darn good.

Toyota I found to be the best all round. But if you do happen to breakdown it's tougher to get fixed. Off road capabilities are amazing

All my experiences here were highway to off road driving in the oilfields in Alberta. Good times but pretty scary at times too. Unreal some of the places I would have to drive to solo

Never worried about gas or diesel though because it was all company covered (I really miss that lol)

Edited by manitoubass2

A Tacoma would be really nice if they put a small diesel in it like way back in the '80s, Not fast but pretty cheap to drive and quite capable.

Toyota refuses to bring the diesel Hilux over here, they've been making that truck forever and offer it pretty much everywhere except North America.

I am looking to buy a Tundra in a couple of years.

I'm waiting for them to come out with their new engine/tranny combos.

I can't see buying one now with the older V8 that gets horrible gas mileage.

There are rumors of them putting the new Lexus V8 (re-tuned) as well as the 5.0 Diesel in them.

There may be info coming @ the Chicago auto show next month.

I am looking to buy a Tundra in a couple of years.

I'm waiting for them to come out with their new engine/tranny combos.

I can't see buying one now with the older V8 that gets horrible gas mileage.

There are rumors of them putting the new Lexus V8 (re-tuned) as well as the 5.0 Diesel in them.

There may be info coming @ the Chicago auto show next month.

In 2007 when the first full size Tundra's were built they offered both a 5.7L and a 4.7L V8 engine not to mention a V6. The 4.7L V8 was a Lexus engine.