Ram 1500 Diesel - Mileage Post (NF)

hutch4113

likely doesn't tow that down gravel/dirt roads and launches onto a beach/gravel/dirt ramps.

i put my old yukon through a lot of crap, and plan to do the same with my new suburban.

just thinking down the road already...I'm sure I'll be looking again in four years or so....and a true full size SUV with a diesel would be awesome!

• 2 months later...

Well I had an experience today, went to the local RAM dealer. They have upped the price to the point that it's no longer worth buying them to get the return on mileage. A mid range equipped quad cab, 4x4, with heated seats, tow package and trailer mirrors will run around $53K. Even with their discounts and then add the tax, they're still over $51K. They're nuts. you can get a similarly equipped Ford for around $39K. That's a whole lot of gas money. The salesman said, unless you're doing around 45,000 km a year, it will be hard to break even.

We get a lot of people dropping by here at Orangeville Chrysler....(shameless plug) asking about them and we have sold quite a few but IMHO unless you need the extra towing capacity and you tend to keep your vehicles a long time and do a lot of driving I would consider the V6 Pentastar instead similar fuel economy less money upfront.

As others have pointed out there are other things to consider like maintenance cost and longevity and re-sale value.

FYI Rob we have a White Grand Cherokee coming in soon with the ECO it`s a Summit model...we`ll have the new incentives out in a couple of days we`ll see if anything has changed!

Bill M, I am diesel illiterate what is the X5D, Q7 or Q5? Sorry to say the quote feature isn't working on this recently repaired for the third time in 5 months HP laptop

. I have never ben a fan of diesel. Having grown up and started driving just at the end of the big 3's era of muscle cars and my guys and I gravitated to the European micro cars i.e. Morgan Garage, Triumph, Fiat, Ford Capri then Audi and Benz there wasn't much exposure to any diesel engines. Buy my younger brother did get the gas guzzler muscle car bug. He bought himself a VW TDI I believe a few years back and pulled up in a sparkling new VW TDI this summer., there's a 180 turnaround. I took it for a little spin along the lake and I was very surprised at what I felt under my right foot. I'm impressed. He is very happy. If they came out with something with 1/2 ton capacity for my towing and hauling needs I might be a customer, maybe.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

For the GC there is a 2k suv tax levy on the hemi due to low mpgs so makes the diesel opt. Much more attractive. Not sure what the diesel option costs over the hemi in the ram.

Agree fisherman you should be able to find a ram for less than that with the diesel.

Edited by Spooled

Bill M, I am diesel illiterate what is the X5D, Q7 or Q5? Sorry to say the quote feature isn't working on this recently repaired for the third time in 5 months HP laptop

. I have never ben a fan of diesel. Having grown up and started driving just at the end of the big 3's era of muscle cars and my guys and I gravitated to the European micro cars i.e. Morgan Garage, Triumph, Fiat, Ford Capri then Audi and Benz there wasn't much exposure to any diesel engines. Buy my younger brother did get the gas guzzler muscle car bug. He bought himself a VW TDI I believe a few years back and pulled up in a sparkling new VW TDI this summer., there's a 180 turnaround. I took it for a little spin along the lake and I was very surprised at what I felt under my right foot. I'm impressed. He is very happy. If they came out with something with 1/2 ton capacity for my towing and hauling needs I might be a customer, maybe.

The X5 is a BMW SUV that comes with a diesel, same with the Audi Q7 and the Audi Q5 :) I've been running diesel vehicles for about 15 years or so (All VW TDI's).. I have one, my parents do as well, as does my sister. I'm the resident family mechanic, lol! You really can't compare the old diesels with the ones you can buy today, way more power, a lot cleaner, etc. Sure they have their problems (Like all cars do) but for me at least the positives outweigh the negatives. My last TDi had 600,000kms on it before I retired it, my current wagon has close to 400,000kms with no signs of letting up yet.

Keep your eye open for the new GMC Canyon in 2016 with the 2.8 Duramax, should be quite the truck!

Edited by BillM

From what I've been hearing a decently equipped Ecodiesel is around the 43k mark.

Oh if push comes to crunch, I'll be doing a little road trip to check other dealers.

well if it\s the dealer in Barrie they will rip you for every cent

try ontario chrysler

38 to 43 you can get one

You're one of a number of guys that have told me to go see Ontario Chrysler, maybe stop by on my next trip to my brothers place. I just stopped in at Barrie to get a rough idea, from the total experience there, parts and service, I wouldn't buy from them.

My buddy was telling me that as a result of the diesel engines greater weight, the load capacity of the truck is greatly reduced. (at least in comparison to what a comparable F150/Silverado can carry.

Is this true?

If so, isn't that paying alot more for less?

Cheers,

Mark

My buddy was telling me that as a result of the diesel engines greater weight, the load capacity of the truck is greatly reduced. (at least in comparison to what a comparable F150/Silverado can carry.

Is this true?

Cheers,

Mark

Ecodiesel 10,600lbs, F150 13,300lbs... when are you ever pulling close to 10,000lbs? I would guess, never. It's got a lot more with it being a half tonne chassis then it does the engine.

Also, if you are pulling a trailer with that much weight, you're buying a Duramax, Cummins, Powerstroke.. Not a 1500 series truck.

Edited by BillM

Is this true?

Cheers,

Mark

In the 2014 grand cherokee brochure, the diesel curb weight is only 150lbs more than the hemi model. So ram likely isn't much different?

Here is the fuel comsumption figures from my 2007 Grand Cherokee 3.0 diesel analyzed in excel:

kilometers liters liters/100km

551.3 68.5 12.42517685

466.1 56.5 12.12186226

525 63.2 12.03809524

500.9 63.6 12.69714514

654.9 73.7 11.25362651

378.6 45.4 11.99154781

560.7 66.9 11.92259675

480.8 61.1 12.69758735

1010.7 119 11.77599683

576.4 70.1 12.16169327

598.4 70.2 11.73128342

I'm getting around 12 l / 100 km.

Edited by HTHM

12l / 100K?

that isn't a great average.

I bought my 2010 Suburban in July 2014.

I've towed. I've highway drove. and I've city drove.

My mileage averaged through it all is 14.2L / 100K

With the current cost of gas, wouldn't that make a diesel MORE expensive than standard?

The last thing you wanna do to any diesel is baby it around, especially if all you're doing is city driving. The harder they are driven, the better they perform.. I'm dealing with a sticky VGT turbo in my oldmans Duramax for this very reason (he drives it like an old lady), I was out on the highway lastnight bombing around trying to get the EGTs up and everything cleaned out and unstuck.

The last thing you wanna do to any diesel is baby it around, especially if all you're doing is city driving. The harder they are driven, the better they perform.. I'm dealing with a sticky VGT turbo in my oldmans Duramax for this very reason (he drives it like an old lady), I was out on the highway lastnight bombing around trying to get the EGTs up and everything cleaned out and unstuck.

My Brother in Law had the same issue after a week of my sister driving his truck..Sure doesnt take long when the duramax is babied..Drive it like its stolen to clear it out...lol