Ram 1500 Diesel - Mileage Post (NF)

hutch4113

• 2 months later...

This ecodiesel platform is really impressive. Did a recent trip in a GC 4x4 from sw Ontario to the Kawarthas and back. Mostly 401 with some secondary highways and town in there too. Reset the trip meter 15kms into the tank so it really shows the range on this thing. Not to mention 1/4 left after that many kms

14282635230301.jpg

Edited by Spooled

Any idea how much those #s would change towing a 2 sled enclosed trailer? I'm really interested in one

From what I've read on the forums the diesel will take a much less hit to mileage while towing compared to a gas engine. The low end torque is great for taking off and city driving so would imagine it will tow very well. Also has more than adequate passing power on the highway.

At least in the GC, they usually run promos to get the diesel at same price as the v8. Not sure about the ram pricing.

My Ram 4x4 averaged around 11L/100km all winter. Towing my 7x14 enclosed trailer (which tows like a brick for some reason) I got just under 15L/100k. Straight highway on long trips it gets about 10. We'll see how it does with this boat the weekend but I would expect around 13 or so.

Edited by G.mech

Any idea how much those #s would change towing a 2 sled enclosed trailer? I'm really interested in one

I averaged about 19MPG towing my Boat. I would guess you would be about the same. Check this site out -> http://www.ram1500diesel.com/. Pretty sure there will be some towing reports, that match your setup better.

From what I've read on the forums the diesel will take a much less hit to mileage while towing compared to a gas engine. The low end torque is great for taking off and city driving so would imagine it will tow very well. Also has more than adequate passing power on the highway.

At least in the GC, they usually run promos to get the diesel at same price as the v8. Not sure about the ram pricing.

I have not seen a diesel promo on a 1500 yet, I have seen the diesel promo for the 2500 and 3500.

There is currently a promo for the eco diesel on the Grand Cherokee.

They probably will notbdo a promo on the 1500 diesel because they sell very well and dealers are having a hard time keeping them on the lot. Looks like RAM is onto something. GM and FORD are asleep at the switch on this.

They probably will notbdo a promo on the 1500 diesel because they sell very well and dealers are having a hard time keeping them on the lot. Looks like RAM is onto something. GM and FORD are asleep at the switch on this.

They seem to have deep discounts on the 1500 a lot at least (as do gm and ford). Just need to find which month has the best promos when looking to pull the trigger if one goes the truck route.

• 3 weeks later...

Did another road trip in the GC - ~500kms on the 401 and the rest secondary hwy with some city in there. 950kms on the tank before filling up with 80L which = 27.9 US mpg / 8.4l/100kms hand calculated.

Aside from gear ratio it's the same engine/transmission setup as the ram.

Edited by Spooled

Did another road trip in the GC - ~500kms on the 401 and the rest secondary hwy with some city in there. 950kms on the tank before filling up with 80L which = 27.9 US mpg / 8.4l/100kms hand calculated.

Aside from gear ratio it's the same engine/transmission setup as the ram.

That is impressive, I did a round trip from Hamilton to Kingston, and hand calculated 10.1 in my 07 Grand cherokee CRD. The same trip in my Jetta wagon would be about half of that though.

That is impressive, I did a round trip from Hamilton to Kingston, and hand calculated 10.1 in my 07 Grand cherokee CRD. The same trip in my Jetta wagon would be about half of that though.

I heard the gear ratio had a lot to do with that gen. not getting as good of mpg especially at highway speeds.

I don't doubt the 14+'s can get low-mid 7s on straight hwy.

I heard the gear ratio had a lot to do with that gen. not getting as good of mpg especially at highway speeds.

Probably so.

The best I've done in my 08 GC was 8.4L/100 while driving from Toronto to Ottawa on Highway 7, doing 80-90 km/hr.

However my avg mixed is about 11L/100km with a pretty heavy foot.

Probably so.

The best I've done in my 08 GC was 8.4L/100 while driving from Toronto to Ottawa on Highway 7, doing 80-90 km/hr.

However my avg mixed is about 11L/100km with a pretty heavy foot.

That is the case, they mated a gas tranny to the diesel so it revs ~2500 - 2800 rpm at highway speeds. With the torque it produces, 1500 - 1800 rpm would be well within the engines abilities to maintain highway speeds in my opinion. One thing I am considering is to put taller tires on it to reduce the amount the wheels turn to maintain the same speed.

That is the case, they mated a gas tranny to the diesel so it revs ~2500 - 2800 rpm at highway speeds. With the torque it produces, 1500 - 1800 rpm would be well within the engines abilities to maintain highway speeds in my opinion. One thing I am considering is to put taller tires on it to reduce the amount the wheels turn to maintain the same speed.

they should have put a 6 speed in there or changed the diffs to 3.23s or so instead of the 3.73s. but then people would complain that it downshifts too much -- ever notice yours rarely downshifts on the hwy? its because we're right at the torque sweet spot at around 100-110 i think. i'm considering taller tires as well but i don't think there's that much room without a lift other than going to 255/65s or 245/70s (about +1" diameter) i think the net effect would 'only' be about 100 rpms at 2000?

btw, if you're doing 2800 rpms, you are moving well above the limit LOL. i generally keep mine at 110 on the 400 series and about 100-105 when towing. ya i'm the slow guy.

Edited by Raf