Ram 1500 Diesel - Mileage Post (NF)

hutch4113

2600rpm doing 110 is brutal.

Oh, I agree, 1700 would be plenty of power with that engine.

my 1.6l accent revs 2800 at those speeds too

That is a gas engine, 2800 is roughly 60% of red line, on a diesel that is 50% of redline. *percentages made up on the spot and may not reflect an accurate rendering of the facts.

• 1 month later...

were seeing a fair amount of 15's getting towed in with seized engines at low km's cranks wiping bearings out guess there trying to build em to fast with demand

It is a small number - something to do with a part over torqued in the lower end.

Edited by Tupelo

Guys how are your ecodiesels running? So far so good with mine. Putting down great mpgs too. Recent trip still over 1/2 tank and includes 350kms of towing around 2000lbs.

Running great. Almost at 30K. Engine seems to be much more alive - guessing it is starting to break in a little. Best mileage has hovered around 28/29mp - I probably won't hit 30 as I do tend to drive a little quick. Actually having a hard time not squealing the tires now - pretty much at every take off. If I don't want it to happen - I put it in 4W Auto :angel: at least until after take off...lol.

Boat is ready to go, so towing season should begin in a couple of weeks for me... :Gonefishing::whistling::canadian:

I'm at 5k so looks like it will be a while before break in:) I still see cats failing on the 14's but no reports on the 15s after they updated the part and software a few times prior to 15 launch. Diesel is now under $1.00 which is nice! Aside from wearing nitrile gloves at the pump it's really not any different than a gas aside from filling up less.

I'm at 5k so looks like it will be a while before break in:) I still see cats failing on the 14's but no reports on the 15s after they updated the part and software a few times prior to 15 launch. Diesel is now under $1.00 which is nice! Aside from wearing nitrile gloves at the pump it's really not any different than a gas aside from filling up less.

I think the CAT failure was only in the 2W drive - something to do with a vibration that would cause it to crack. For the fill up - I just use paper towel from the windshield wash station - wrap it around the pump handle...lol.

I think the CAT failure was only in the 2W drive - something to do with a vibration that would cause it to crack. For the fill up - I just use paper towel from the windshield wash station - wrap it around the pump handle...lol.

In the GC's appears to be both drive trains. The manifold issue doesn't seem to be an issue talked about compared to the rams.

Paper towel idea is a good one will deinitely do that if I'm out of gloves :)

they changed how the cats were made along with software updates helped the scr's live better, the "white wash" coating over the precious metal was cracking and flaking off plugging up the exhaust, cold def hitting hot ceramics not a good mix, hopefully sorted out.

don't worry about the engine to much, my hemi just dropped a valve and seized up on a proven engine with fairly low k's

happens to every brand.

one thing with the diesels is there with the emissions where gas was in 1976 gonna be some teething issues sorting out def fluid, particulate filters oxidizing cats ect there a whole bunch going on thats fairly new technology

I admire the lengths some of you will go to get the max MPG from a vehicle. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. When my gas gauge goes to 1/4 I fill it up. That's about the extent of my thought process when it comes to fuel management.

Actually that's not 100% true, I always make sure I push the trailering button on my Silverado when I pull a trailer and then watch the fuel gauge. The truck did not come with the fuel management option, I'm glad it didn't otherwise I would be monitoring it constantly like I did with my 81' Eldorado. That pig would go to a 1/4 tank constantly.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

What is the reason for the rubber glove on diesel? The exposure to diesel on your hands is minimal while filling is it a safety issue or just not wanting diesel on/in the vehicle?

Art

A lot of pump handles seem to have fuel on them and it doesn't evaporate like gasoline.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would share a recent trip to Bobs Lake. Total round trip mileage was 728 KM's - Barrie to Bobs Lake, and return. We went highway 12/7. Did the trip on one tank - though I was getting worried as we got back to Barrie (low fuel light was on - and you don't want to run out of Fuel on a Diesel).

Fuelly numbers - 19.1 MPG, which is about what I usually get when towing. (18.5 Smokercraft). I got better mileage then my Brother's F150 Ecoboost - and he was not towing :tease:

Best mileage for mine ever was this week, 423km, 42l of fuel works out to a whopping 28 mpg imp. Mind you all highway and pretty much empty, but for a heavy 3/4T, not bad. Back to the ECO-Blah Ford, my sons can't get 22mpg empty on the highway, 8-9 mpg pulling a 3k cargo trailer. Continuous engine problems of miss firing that Ford has no fix for except replacing spark plugs every 4-5 thou km. 3 weeks ago the rear end grenaded, complete junk.

These new diesel trucks and SUVs are really nice. But they are so expensive that it doesn't make economical sense to buy one. Interest on long loans and depreciation of a new vehicle will MORE than offset any savings from mileage.

Over a 16 year period, buying TWO used pickups will still be $25k cheaper than buying a brand new Ram diesel.

These new diesel trucks and SUVs are really nice. But they are so expensive that it doesn't make economical sense to buy one. Interest on long loans and depreciation of a new vehicle will MORE than offset any savings from mileage.

Over a 16 year period, buying TWO used pickups will still be $25k cheaper than buying a brand new Ram diesel.

Ain't that the truth.