Ram 1500 Diesel - Mileage Post (NF)

hutch4113

We get so hung up on numbers when we speak of fuel consumption. I actually heard a talking head on a Motoring 2015 episode today say that the difference between 7.5 L /100K and 7.1L/100K is substantial, really?? 0.4 liters per 100K or 400ml of gas per 62 miles. They better go out and buy a new boat with the savings. Fuel consumption is important but I'm not getting hung up on it. When I want my V8 and it's 300 HP merging onto the 403 while towing a ton of boat I want it and I want it now and I don't care what it costs if I can avoid a collision with a wanna be SUV with a 6 cylinder diesel or gas sewing machine. I'll pay the extra penny or so a mile for my V8.

Wow 1 zip Canada, 23 seconds in.

We get so hung up on numbers when we speak of fuel consumption. I actually heard a talking head on a Motoring 2015 episode today say that the difference between 7.5 L /100K and 7.1L/100K is substantial, really?? 0.4 liters per 100K or 400ml of gas per 62 miles. They better go out and buy a new boat with the savings. Fuel consumption is important but I'm not getting hung up on it. When I want my V8 and it's 300 HP merging onto the 403 while towing a ton of boat I want it and I want it now and I don't care what it costs if I can avoid a collision with a wanna be SUV with a 6 cylinder diesel or gas sewing machine. I'll pay the extra penny or so a mile for my V8.

Well not pointing fingers, but merging is an art and there's a lot of eraser drivers out there.

I dont disagree with a lot of what you said.. but funny thing about getting up to speed and merging, it's torque (along with gearing) that does it, and the v6 turbo diesel has more of it, across a lower and broader rpm range than the v8 hemi.

Edited by Raf

maybe but you gotta rev the snot out of that sowing machine. ;)

the previous gen gc diesel was quicker up to about 35 mph out of the hole than the v8. then the v8 took over.

Edited by Raf

straying off topic but v6 turbos are more than capable vs their v8 counterparts in the drag race game. remember the 80s grand national? it ran the 1/4 mile quicker than v8s of that time. cubes are nice but there's more than one way to make power.

The eagle series hemi also a different animal then its earlier version. But with all the technology out there today especially transmission you can build anything to work well. Rumours of a new dakota coming deisel in that wouldnbe intresting

The eagle series hemi also a different animal then its earlier version. But with all the technology out there today especially transmission you can build anything to work well. Rumours of a new dakota coming deisel in that wouldnbe intresting

yup more options and improved tech whether it's gas, diesel or electric is never a bad thing.. let the consumer decide what suits him/her best. chrysler's propably reacting to gm's announcement of the diesel in the canyon/colorado. competition is good.

Come hook your TDI to my boat and launch it anytime.

TDI is great for long hauls with no gear or passengers, but your not towing or hauling gear with one....right?

Thats what I thought.

S.

My buddy used to own a Passat TDI and towed/launched a pair of seadoos and also towed an enclosed 4X8 trailer with no issues.

400hpand 400lbft of torque will always out accelerate 240hoand 420lbtq regardless what fuel is being burned i drive both everyday and handsdown hemi has waynmore get up and go

From test driving both versions of the Jeep I can't disagree either but it's not night and day. However the diesel feels more powerful in everyday driving due to the 400lbft of torque at low rpms. Hemi is faster if you tromp on it but imagine it gets really thirsty.

Isn't the 0-60 times only about a second apart?

The Hemi is faster - no question. I test drove both before I bought. But it is really difficult to compare the 2, as the feel is different. The diesel feels like an unstoppable force, particularly when you catch it right.

The Hemi is a beast. For that matter the Ecoboost is blast to drive to.

The only thing that would make the Diesel better is a few more HP. Like the way it was described to me - Torque = Power -> HP = how fast the power is generated. If the Diesel had maybe 15 to 20 more HP ---- whoo baby.

But I think the main point now - is at least there is an option, which did not exist before. It is high time it was done - and all things being equal, RAM did an excellent job - in the short term at least. Time will tell......

Art, I have an old 04 Cummins and regularly get 11 -12 L/100km, that's with a truck that probably weights over a 100 more than yours. You claim to get 16.8 L/100km with a 6000lb trailer at 65-85 mpg? One of my sons has a '13 Ecoguzzle, towing a 17' all aluminum enclosed trailer with 2 snowmobiles, we averaged between 22-28L/100km at no more than 70mph.

The big difference is that I am pulling a custom covered bassboat and a covered bed so my wind resistance is a lot less. On my meter it shows 14 MPG if my googled converter is correct . It is 960 miles from my house to the Nip and it is 13 hours deducting stops gives me an average speed of 73 mph.

Art

I plan on buying a new diesel in 2-3 years. But, until then I will have to stick with my "old and inefficient" 2007 Ram quad cab w/ Hemi that averages 14 l / 100 kms when empty, which is similar or better than what many new trucks get.

K&N intake

Magnaflow cat back exhaust

Removed all extra unnecessary weight

Soft tonneau cover

Removed engine fan

Mashing the peddle = bye bye EcoBoost :whistling:

from having both im totally with cummins. when ya gotta load on and are in hills nothing seems to slow up the weasel.. the more ya give them the more they want.. my issue was injector pumps. costly when out of warranty. 5 g,s takes the thrill outa blowin black smoke.