What lies beneath.....

BillM

Couldn't ignore the weatherman... Stable weather for the past few days, a season about to close and one of my fav fish to chase. Hit the water in a thick thick fog, got worse the closer we got to our destination. I don't like riding the GPS but you couldn't see 50yrds in front of the boat this morning. So the nav lights were turned on and we made out way out to spot #1 at a slower than normal pace. Immediately the the graph was lit up, fish all over the place. Found a nice hump out of deep water, my buddy Doug dropped down and a few mins later I was greeted with this.

IMG_1709_zpsbed158a7.jpg

First fish of the day was a fat chunky laker.

IMG_1707_zpsfa2bca75.jpg

After that it was non-stop.....We were out there laughing like schoolgirls. Doug would get one on I'd scream out ITS TIME FOR DOUBLE DOUBLE! and WHAM! Fish on! I can't count the number of double headers we had, 8? 9? I dunno.. I also don't want to count the number of fish we missed, lol. The nice thing was the average size, a good 6-8lbs with a few teeners thrown in and a few TANKS!!!

IMG_1766_zps35a0b4ac.jpg

IMG_1746_zps8ef794e4.jpg

IMG_1751_zps95ee7f81.jpg

Doug with a cow!

IMG_1731_zpsc33478ae.jpg

IMG_1728_zps5a3fa93a.jpg

I got into the action myself (After losing I think my first 4 fish? Swapped that hook out with the quickness!)

IMG_1758_zpse84682eb.jpg

Huge guts on some of these fish. The runs they were making were crazy... We'd get them up to the boat and back down they'd go.. This would happen 3-4 times... Reels were screaming today!

IMG_1753_zps0aefab3a.jpg

IMG_1759_zps1447935d.jpg

IMG_1779_zpsda84ef62.jpg

IMG_1784_zpsaa78b631.jpg

Bluebird skies? Didn't matter the big ones kept on coming.

IMG_1853_zpsf72fe118.jpg

IMG_1863_zps17c7e0c1.jpg

What a day, some of the best laker fishing I've had since the spring on the southern shore of Lake O. I think my buddy Doug upped his PB a few times today... We didn't take any measurements but a few were pushing the 20lb mark some them were so thick across the back. , all on 7.5ft ML spinning setups, 1000 series reels with 6lb braid, no need for the meat sticks! Some of the runs these fish made were just insane, super hard hits and just screaming.. We had to chase two of them with the trolling motor because they just weren't stopping.

Edited by BillM

sweet! Those would be a riot on light tackle like that! Curious as to your set-up? Not riggin', obviously. Do you run three way swivels or something else?

Nope, nothing complicated. Jigging spoons and jigheads with an assortment of different coloured swammers. No live bait or anything like that. These fish weren't picky.

awesome. one of these days I'm gonna have to try that. I'v never tried jigging that deep - the hit must be a rush and a half

Some of them were small 'ticks' as you let the spoon/whatever back down. Some were downright crazy, super hard hits then 100yrds of line gone from the reel in seconds :) Half of these fish had no idea they were hooked until they got to the surface, then all hell broke loose.