my bro- in laws ATV stolen, funny story, NF

chris.brock

2 days ago, my brother in law hears a voice outside his window (6:30 am), then he hears his ATV fire up. He grabs his car keys, runs outside, and chases the kid for a couple miles, he's got video shot through his front window, running stop signs etc

The kid turns into a field on the reserve, pumps the middle finger up and down a few times, then rides away

Scotland Ontario, near 6 Nations

2012 Kodiak 450, EPS, camo

it's insured but still $1000 deductible, and 85% of value, reserve and regular cops don't really care

the moral of the story, don't leave your keys in your bike down here

Edited by chris.brock

Chris, If bro has lived in Haldimand Norfolk long enough I'm surprised he would even think of leaving the keys in any vehicle. We know many, many who have lost there vehicles locked or not. My wife's co worker had her Dodge Ram stolen from a Shoppers parking lot in broad daylight. The call to the OPP resulted in her just making a report over the phone. They laughed when she asked what they were going to do to find it. Unless he buys it back he will never see it again, video or no video, sad really.

When we are away I actually hide the spare keys in my locked home. And I have to say it isn't always those stealing that are from the reserve, often it is locals and end up on the reserve where there is a market for hot vehicles. It's a daily occurrence here.

had a convo with an OPP officer in the area just a couple of weeks ago. She said that you can easily catch these guys doing all sorts of illegal stuff, but will you ever get anywhere with actually making an attempt to make an arrest? Nope...

Cops cant even get onto the reserve when people are wanted for serious crimes, never mind recovering an ATV.

File the insurance claim

It can be a lawless place out there. I had a truck stolen and recovered on the edge of the reserve..burned out of course.. The only place in Canada where you can carry a loaded firearm and shoot from a vehicle and get away with it. The police out there know where the chop shops are but it's too risky to bust them up.

For serious crimes the OPP go onto the rez regularly in concert with Six Nations Police. The story really isn't funny. What was BIL going to do if he caught the guy? I know what we would all like to do. My luck the kid would be a member of one of many MMA clubs out here. 30 years ago, no problem, today I'd have to call 911 and be done with it.

ATV's and trucks are big money on the reserve. Tell your buddy that the machine will never be recovered and has likely already been sold for much less than his deductible will be.

And yes, the OPP are on the reserve quite regularly.

How on earth did your brother in law keep up with an ATV from Scotland all the way to the reserve? There are so many large concessions, fields, and bush lots between the two that it would be impossible for a vehicle to keep up unless the ATV ran the roads the entire way.

How on earth did your brother in law keep up with an ATV from Scotland all the way to the reserve? There are so many large concessions, fields, and bush lots between the two that it would be impossible for a vehicle to keep up unless the ATV ran the roads the entire way.

We are assuming the guy who stole the ATV had half a brain on his shoulders, maybe he didn't, lol!