Seniors to Anti UP

Argh :wallbash: 1 year to go and I am 65 and they do this. They screwed me on the other end too, I had to wait to 21 to drink legally and that same year they lowered the age to 18. I think 18 is a little old to get a free ride on the fishing licences, maybe they could drop that end instead, teens got more money than me or so it seems.

You have to be a member to see your link...

For those that don't have access.

MNR is proposing that those aged 65 and over pay 80 per cent of the cost of a regular fishing licence.

Potential introduction of senior citizens fishing licences. At present, Ontario and Canadian residents aged 65 and older

fish for free in Ontario. This practice is inconsistent with other public

licensing systems in the province such as driver's licences, pilot's licences,

camping fees and hunting licences. Without licence requirements there are

inequities, gaps in the ministry's information regarding harvest, and the number

of seniors that fish. Ontario is also the only Great Lake province or state in

which resident senior citizens can fish for free. The Harris/Decima

survey demonstrated very strong support for introducing a discounted licence for

seniors. MNR is therefore proposing (Table 2) a discounted Seniors Conservation

Fishing Licence and a discounted Seniors Sport Fishing Licence at 80 per cent of

the standard fee.No changes are proposed to the requirement for

non-Canadian residents aged 65 and older who currently must purchase an Outdoors

Card and a regular-priced fishing licence.

Taken from an MNR document entitled

Sustainability Strategy for the Fish and Wildlife Special Purpose Account. Page 30

I love when they use that as an excuse.

Ontario is the only great lake province or state that they can fish for free

this town has the lowest taxes, so wer'e just gonna raise em

this town pays employees less, so wer'e gonna pay em more

this place doesn't charge for that which means the government is ripping itself off, so we are now going to charge...and the most, because then all the others will be charging less and want to catch up

why can't they just not spend so much

***flame suit on***

I agree with this for 5 reasons:

1) Time and money is spent to investigate and enforce regulations of all ages. Therefore, seniors should be expected to ante up.

2) If money is so tight that you can't afford such a small amount, you shouldn't be going fishing in the first place.

3) Knowing exactly how many seniors are fishing in what area's makes it easier for the MNR to adjust regulations.

4) Seniors don't get a free pass for any other license (that i'm aware of), so why the special treatment for fishing?

5) Every adult who fishes should be contributing to the special purpose account that funds management of our resources.

When first implimented the funds collected from fishing licenses were to be utilzed for fish hatcherys, stocking programs, stream rehabilitation and greater enforcement. Over the past couple of decades we have seen more and more anglers purchasing licenses. Increase in costs of licenses. Then came the implementation of the Outdoors Card. More funds for the Government.

Many hatcheries have been closed. Those that aren't are being run by volunteers. Stream rehabilitation has been left to volunteers. Enforcement is cut to the bone. So much so that the CO's are limited as to how much gas they can use on a monthly basis.

As with all things Government run, poorer service, more excuses and greater costs.

***flame suit on***

1) Time and money is spent to investigate and enforce regulations of all ages. Therefore, seniors should be expected to ante up.

2) If money is so tight that you can't afford such a small amount, you shouldn't be going fishing in the first place.

3) Knowing exactly how many seniors are fishing in what area's makes it easier for the MNR to adjust regulations.

4) Seniors don't get a free pass for any other license (that i'm aware of), so why the special treatment for fishing?

5) Every adult who fishes should be contributing to the special purpose account that funds management of our resources.

What a load of bumpf. IF you license seniors, based on your argument, you better have licenses for children of all ages (pro rated of course) and the handicapped as well.

Do you even have a clue as to how pathetic CPP is as a pension fund?

The special purpose fund has been nothing more than an excuse to cut budget funding for the sake of funding special projects like gas plant and rapid transit scams that only benefit one portion of the population.

Population is aging, so it would make sense from a government perspective to get something out of the seniors instead of one day having a large population of senior anglers getting a free ride. Sometimes life doesn't go as planned. Sometimes it just plain BITES !!!

***flame suit on***

I'm guessing you're an MPP

Truth be known, i was born in 1950 and for most of my life there was no fishing licence required for anyone in the province of Ontario, believe they started in 1986 with the licencing and that was at the request of the anglers of the province as a way of injecting more money to the protection and enhancement of the resource.

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/thestar/doc/435443542.html?FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=May%2007,%201986&author=John%20Power&pub=Toronto%20Star&edition=&startpage=&desc=Anglers%20welcome%20resident%20licence%20to%20help%20fisheries

Quite right Dave524. I supported the license when it was first proposed

The idea behind the license was to provide additional funds for conservation and fishery enhancement

that were to be in addition to regular MNR funding. It was not intended to replace budgetary funding from the public coffers. The OFAH was supposed to be our public watchdog. That is the other part of the joke.

Just another example of how big govt and bureaucracy will take what they want, use who they want, when they want. and it won't matter who you vote in. The story will remain the same, they just change the language.

Edited by bigugli

This is total bull!

I am 68. I have worked my entire life starting at 15. I have paid my takes and my CPP and today I qualify for just over $550.00 a month in CPP.

One of the few things this government has given me is the right to fish without having to buy a license and now they want to take even that away from me? How much money do they think this is going to generate, fire one politician and you'd probably double what they will collect from us seniors that can still fish. Oh, and BTW I still have to work because there is no way I could live in this country based on a pension plan that I have paid into for all these years and watched our goverment squander to fill their own pockets.

If they do impliment this you can watch for this old man to get charged for fishing without a license because I WILL NOT BUY another one! When I don't pay the fine, they can put me in jail: 3 meals a day, medical, dental, TV (bet I can get lots of fishing shows).

I am so ready to join any revolution that opposes the way people are treated in this country. Oh, and one last question: Why is it we keep hearing that CPP is going to run out of money but welfare isn't? Seems to me that I have paid into CPP, who has paid into welfare? Oh wait, I guess that would be me too but I can't collect walefare.

My Dad (69 years old) is basically computer illiterate, definitely no smart phone, and now there's no hard copy of printed fishing regs. Is it my responsibility to tell him he now needs a licence?

Lets cut some or all senators and some politicians to save a few $$$

I guess they can't wait till the kids inherit it so they'll just take it now. A damn shame but it doesn't surprise me. Not much does these days when it concerns public agencies.

I bet if we sent a few hundred thousand scathing e-mails to them they might just be inclined to reconsider. FAT chance we would help each other out let alone a segment of the population that has already made their bones and earned at least that.