Removing fish smell from hands

sneak_e_pete

Also had this problem. Most effective for me was the following:

You need something gritty to get the smell off.

If I am fishing a river/creek, reach into the river grab some gritty dirt off the bottom and rub all over your hands. Rinse with water and the smell is gone.

If I am fishing in a boat and no access to gritty dirt, then a hand cleaner with pumice works. Canadian tire has Gojo with pumice or they have their own brand hand cleaner with pumice. No more smell at all.

There is a product called NokOut, that I have been using for years for hunting and fishing, it doesn't cover the scent, it eliminates it. Works on anything, I won't go into a big long explanation but ask any of the guys I have introduced it to.

http://www.nokout.com/home.php

Yep...Tried this and the stainless bar with success...also toothpaste and ketchup...the latest I heard of was used coffee grounds...will give them a try...

Yep...Tried this and the stainless bar with success...also toothpaste and ketchup...the latest I heard of was used coffee grounds...will give them a try...

Fresh grounds straight from the can. Powerful enough to even mask the smell of raw chicken flesh and blood that builds up in a reefer trailer.. We would spread a 1lb block inside a reefer trailer before loading it.

Fish smell while fishing. Tough call. I do notice that if I don't go fishing that fish smell doesn't come into play at all.

Maybe its just me but getting that fish smell on me is one of the main reasons I go fishing. ;)

In all seriousness for a second, lemon juice. Simple. The acid in the juice breaks down the proteins of the fish slime. Most of the hand sanitizers out there mask the scent and the ones that work have an acidic base to them. Some outings I only wish I had fish smelling problems. It's the smell of victory. Unless the minnows have had rigor set in and left in the baitwell to ripen I've never found them to have any odor. Dead bait in the sun, that's a smell you don't want.

I've forgotten where I am sometimes and after I've caught them, cleaned them, cooked them and served them I'm told to go and wash my hands I smell like fish, I guess so. The eatin part's easy peezy.