Some sorta scam I spose ??

lew

I got a phone call yesterday but the guy had such a heavy accent....sounded East Indian ??.... it was hard to figure out what the heck he was talking about.

It was something to do with computers and something about mine sending out some type of virus that was going to infect others. He said he was going to tell me what to start typing and that way he could tell what the problem was.

I told him to stuff it and hung up but just wondered if anyone else has heard of this or know what their scam is.

I saved the number, it was long distance from area code 518

Yes Lew it's a scam and a very popular one at the moment. They'll tell you that their security department has discovered that you and several other have a virus and you're spreading it everywhere. They'll want you to go to your computer right away, turn it on, click on what they want you to click on. Basically they get you to install a virus on your own computer or sell you security software that you don't need.

Yeah, that's exactly the way it played out Roy.

It was obviously some type of scam but I didn't give him the opportunity to finish it. Sad to think though how many gullible folks get sucked into this sorta garbage.

They have called here multiple times the last few years i can't believe this is the first time you got this call lol

I like to string them along lol or just simply tell them you have a mac and didn't think it got viruses?

They usually hang up on me!

Yes Lew it's a scam and a very popular one at the moment. They'll tell you that their security department has discovered that you and several other have a virus and you're spreading it everywhere. They'll want you to go to your computer right away, turn it on, click on what they want you to click on. Basically they get you to install a virus on your own computer or sell you security software that you don't need.

They are asking for you to allow them remote access to your computer, once you allow them the access they look for banking and credit card info. I think they are after more then a sale of a program.

And FWIW, area code 518 is in eastern New York state.

Yes, you have been blitzed by the Mumbai mafia.

The New York area code is just them using a local number to forward their calls through so you don't suspect a foreign number. Bell Canada's telemarketers do the same thing routing their Mumbai call center through a 416 exchange

I've had that exact call and I played along for about 10 minutes.

I was all concerned and said things like "Wow...I had no idea....what do I need to do? Hold on...let me go to my computer. What website again? Hold on, I have to re-boot. Ok...I'm back...can you tell me the website again? I'm sorry, can you email that link to me so I don't have to type it out? No? Ok...hold on...let me get a pen. Ok....go ahead. Hmmm....didn't work.....can you tell it to me again? Ohhhhh I wrote it down wrong. "

Then I asked if he was monitoring my computer right this minute. He said yes...there is virus activity. I said "If you are doing that then why don't you go ahead and tell me the IP address you are monitoring". He said "I cant do that". I said "If you are monitoring my computer then you have to have my IP address". I then say...hold the line for a few more minutes while my phone line tracer works...I already know you aren't from the area code that popped up...please hold..."

Then "click".

I had some time to kill...why not play a bit???

I hadn't had that call for the years we weren't online anylonger. Funny thing was that a few days after I bought our new tablet I get the call saying they are from Microsoft and there's something wrong with my new PC. How did they know I just bought a PC? At first I thought they were legit, but came to my senses after a few minutes when they start asking for personal information just to prove who I AM.

There are a lot of stupid people out there that do stupid things to part with their money. It's sad because stupidity is a DNA thing and it's passed down through the gene pool, they can't help being stupid, ignorance is different. That's a person with some intelligence acting stupid.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I got the same call, claiming they were calling from Microsoft. Is said, really, Microsoft is calling little ole me? Yup, we're calling from Microsoft because your computer is infected and is infecting the entire internet.

I couldn't help but laugh, but carried on...

So I asked her, how did Microsoft get my phone number? I know for a fact that at no time when registering my operating system, does Microsoft ask for my personal information, specifically my phone number. She insisted that I did.

Once again, I couldn't help myself and started to laugh, a lot. She took offense to that and insisted that she was calling from Microsoft. I said, ok, what operating systems is my computer running? She tried to deflect the question essentially saying that I was insulting her and Microsoft with my questions.

After another good hardy chest laugh, I hung up.

I have to wonder if any of these folks have mirrors in their homes and how the heck they can walk by it, look at themselves and not cringe and their humanity(or lack there of!).

HH

I never demean anyone trying to eek out a living no matter how menial a job they have, but these people are acting for criminals and by way of that are engaging in fraudulent activity making them criminals as well, that is if they are stupid enough not to know they are commuting a crime, some don't even know what they are doing is criminal. The next time I get one of these out and out scam calls I'm going to play with them a bit. Maybe even doing something criminal myself by impersonating a law enforcement official. I can't wait, it's winter I'm bored even though I have many things I need to get done, too cold, too wet, too much snow and too lazy.

I've had that exact call and I played along for about 10 minutes.

I was all concerned and said things like "Wow...I had no idea....what do I need to do? Hold on...let me go to my computer. What website again? Hold on, I have to re-boot. Ok...I'm back...can you tell me the website again? I'm sorry, can you email that link to me so I don't have to type it out? No? Ok...hold on...let me get a pen. Ok....go ahead. Hmmm....didn't work.....can you tell it to me again? Ohhhhh I wrote it down wrong. "

Then I asked if he was monitoring my computer right this minute. He said yes...there is virus activity. I said "If you are doing that then why don't you go ahead and tell me the IP address you are monitoring". He said "I cant do that". I said "If you are monitoring my computer then you have to have my IP address". I then say...hold the line for a few more minutes while my phone line tracer works...I already know you aren't from the area code that popped up...please hold..."

Then "click".

I had some time to kill...why not play a bit???

awesome :clapping:

Lew we have had several of those calls, one of them had the nerve to call Sue a liar when she told him our computer was turned off and had been all day. That is when she handed me the phone and I called him every name I could think of until the line finally went dead. Now when they do call I just tell them to get a life and hang up.

We use to get the calls for duct cleaning too and I had some fun with them for a while "honey, some nice young man wants to come and clean our ducks for us." "Yes honey I'm sure he would pluck them too" "No sweetheart he sounds like a very nice young man, I'm sure he would wring their necks before he plucks them". To the caller: "you would wring their necks first right?" Caller "no sir not ducks, ducts, we want to come and clean your ducts" Me; " yes, we have 25 of them but my wife wants to know if you will be kind to quackers she is my wife's favorite, you would do her first wouldn't you, we wouldn't want to stress her seeing the others killed" (it has never gotten past this point they usually hang up LOL.

The older you get, the more fun life becomes!