Freeze to death or starve to death?

Big Cliff

Next thing you know they will ban wood stoves, or try to tax us on the emissions from them, or tax us on the ground water we pump out of our wells.

Make us buy fishing licences, and regulate when and where we can fish, tell us if we can or can't use clotheslines to dry our clothes, ban chickens from our backyards, or endorse chickens in our backyards. Tell us to compost, make it illegal not to recycle, encourage organic foods, but discourage hunting on Sundays.

FN Crazy. Where can I go LIVE?

They already do tax us on the water we pump out of our wells and if you have a septic system you get taxed on that too. When MPAC did our assesments a couple of years ago I went through mine, my property was assessed and extra $7500.00 because I had a well and $15000.00 because I have a septic system + an extra $1200.00 for every liner foot of shore line. Yup, put my taxes up almost 25%.

curious, just how badly will insurance companies nail people who want to install wood stoves that pass WETT inspections ?

I had my wood stove installed in the family room a couple years ago and it didn't affect my premiums at all. They told me as long as it was certified there was no increase. Also no increase when I had the propane insert put in the living room fireplace.

some companies won't even touch you, wett certified or not

we do pay a premium even though it is wett certified. i would have to double check how much extra yearly it is. my home ins. is $80/month which propably means nothing without knowing any details. i beleive we're with halwell mutual ins.

Edited by Raf

ironmaker. your dead on about country,s to live in.

sadly though canadien goverments now and past have swallowed the poison pill. following u.s. standards ..

.selling resources and not developing them straddles Canada,s future.. anyone ever see a politician with foresight beyond there present term..

veterans ,seniors,handicapped all suffer... the young folks here ,if you don't get out voice concern,your futures even bleaker. believe me. I didn't believe my parents till I lived long enuff to see this for myself.

Edited by outlaw

Yup keep voting for Harpo and he will take care of the little guy NOT!!!

So, you'd rather vote for the Liberals and their Green Energy Act, which has caused hydro rates to rise and will likely double in the next 10 years? Or maybe it's the $1,100,000,000 waste of taxpayers money (gas plant scandal) that makes people so fond of the Liberals?

The fact is many people have switched to propane because of the rising hydro prices and now those people are screwed because propane prices are rising too. With the typical high cost of having a propane system installed, those people have no choice but to bend over and pay the high propane prices.

The real question here is if there is an actual shortage of propane due to such a cold winter across North America and more people switching to propane heating, or is this simply a scam in order to jack the prices? Unfortunately, i'm thinking it's very similar to gas prices in that they're simply jacking the prices for a while and will lower the price in the future, which will still be higher than the pre spike price, to make people think they're getting a bargain.

Entropy asks "FN Crazy. Where can I go LIVE?", anywhere you wish my friend. To the millions living in refugee camps around this wonderful world of ours an individual living at or below the poverty line here in Canada live like King's to them. I've had the opportunity to travel pretty well to every continent on earth save Antarctica and there isn't anywhere else I would choose to be than here in Canada. Regardless of our flawed systems and fat steak eating politicos. Travel a bit, not to some resort in the Caribbean, to downtown Kingston Jamaica for example or a ghetto in Rio, Budapest, St. Petersburg Russia or Kouzestan Iran, then come home and kiss the frozen ground here in Canada. Not many realize how blessed we are.

We all bash the governing party and it's leaders, who exactly voted these doe heads in? Not many will stand up and say I did!

Vote them out to vote in a different bunch of doe heads. But regardless and granted there isn't much to choose from we all must vote. We get into a discussion like this sitting in the boat or icehut and guys complain. Asked if they vote and they say no way, I say you don't get to argue.

Was thinking the same. No better place on earth

Solid banking system. not perfect

Solid legal system. not perfect

Cops not on the take.

Choice to pursue your dreams. or not

Freedom of speech

Healthcare. not perfect

Education not perfect

Elected Government

Support for the underpriviledged

90% of the people on the Earth have little or none of this and would do anything to live here

Now if you can shorten winter and tell me how to catch a walleye in Aug on Pigeon -PRICELESS!!!

Edited by captpierre

Just had my propane tank filled today...$1.129 per litre...

Last fill-up on 31 Dec 2013 the price was $0.885...

Last year it was $0.649 (30 Jan 2013)...

Today at Curve Lake, regular gas is $1.139...a penny more than propane...

Edited by Beans

Everybody go down to Niagra.

There is a buy election going on there that the liberals really want to win.

Make a case out of it and Kathleen will make it an election promise to help everybody with their propane bills.

PS, that was not a typo with the buy election part...its what the libs do

PS natural gas is where its at

Just had my propane tank filled today...$1.129 per litre...

Last fill-up on 31 Dec 2013 the price was $0.885...

Last year it was $0.699 (13 Mar 2013)

Today at Curve Lake, regular gas is $1.139...a penny more than propane...

Gas here is 1.39/L you know, cause of shipping

Natural gas; you pay what ever they tell you you are going to pay and you have no options, at least with propane you can negotiate with different suppliers. I was able to negotiate a $0.05 a liter discount and free annual service of all my propane appliances. I also check my propane cost against other suppliers to make sure I am getting a fair price and so far, so good. I just got filled up on Wed. and my price was $1.079.

Natural gas; you pay what ever they tell you you are going to pay and you have no options,

I do have an option, I fire up the wood stove instead of my nat gas furnace. :)

nat gas is currently the cheapest way to heat though (besides wood). however, coming from having no other option besides oil or propane at my last place, I can certainly sympathize with your and those in the same situation as you situation -- dealing with the crazy propane prices this year.

A few years ago me and the wife were so broke after Christmas we couldn't get the oil truck out to the house in Ancaster ( min. half tank) It was quite embarrassing running to the gas station every other day to fill up Jerry cans of diesel to run through the furnace. Not to mention aggravating priming the pump. We kept the house just above freezing and slept in sweaters, did what we had to do. I feel for my old man, 1880 5 bedroom farmhouse, oil guy shows up every two weeks this winter I cringe thinking what the total will be. We are planning on installing a wood boiler this spring.

A few years ago me and the wife were so broke after Christmas we couldn't get the oil truck out to the house in Ancaster ( min. half tank) It was quite embarrassing running to the gas station every other day to fill up Jerry cans of diesel to run through the furnace. Not to mention aggravating priming the pump. We kept the house just above freezing and slept in sweaters, did what we had to do. I feel for my old man, 1880 5 bedroom farmhouse, oil guy shows up every two weeks this winter I cringe thinking what the total will be. We are planning on installing a wood boiler this spring.

Ancaster Freshtrax? Man no matter what home you have there the property alone is worth, maybe worth isn't the word, costs what a nice 3 bedroom is going for in east Hamilton. I'd sell and head east young man head east.

Big Cliff, a 3000ftsq home, that's a lot of cubic footage to heat, do we really need these large places? When I retired in 2000 we went from 3800 ftsq to a little over 900, there's only the 2 of us, that was stupid heating rooms I never stepped foot in.

It's like the old adage if you need to ask what a Cadillac costs you can't afford the gas. I don't know if you have 6 kids there Cliff and it's none of my business but if you don't have a village of people there but if it's only the 2 of you or even 4 is 3000 square feet necessary really? I don't get it. A pal here has a 5 bedroom very large old leaky draughty farmhouse for his wife and himself as well as a 2000 sqft quanset hut, and he has a gas well on the property but due to a lack of pressure he heats one or the otherand complains about the cost to heat it, come on man!!!!

Lol we were renting a small old 3 bedroom cottage . Rent was cheap like 1100 a month. I was working in Hamilton and the wife wanted nothing to do with living downtown. This was 5 years ago now. I'm actually glad it happened. I made a promise to myself to never be that broke again, and now we are buying our first house in a few months.

Edited by Freshtrax