Wierd ice sounds

hotsky

Water pipes burst at my work so I got a day off and decided to do some ice fishing. Heard some really wierd noices that at first scared the crap out of me but since ice was ~10in I convinced myself it was ok. I started fishing a year ago and never heard anything like that before.

I googled it and it sounds a lot like the clips in this link

http://silentlistening.wordpress.com/2008/05/09/dispersion-of-sound-waves-in-ice-sheets/

30yrs of ice fishing and being on the ice and living right beside it I have heard and seen it do some amazing things !!! And the sounds I have heard it squeal like fingers down a chalkboard to sounding like several drummers pounding on bass drums 100 feet away !!!! I have also seen pieces of ice 5-10ft across get pushed several feet in the air when the ice is expanding !!!! It never gets old that's for sure ..... And the other night up here in the kawarthas when it was -30 it was really banging and making lots of noise it's so cool ... So take it in and enjoy .... Cheers

When I was out at long point today I heard what sounded like thunder that got louder as it got closer. When it went under me it felt like a like a wave under the water...The water then went up and down...It was really cool but I wonder what a newbie would thing of that?

Wildest thing I have experienced on the ice was when a pressure crack let go near the shore on Simcoe back in the 80's.

We were fishing the lake trout grounds 12 miles out in an outfitters hut when around lunch time there was a huge vibration, the hut jumped in the air and water came gushing out of the hole!!!! When we went in at the end of the day the outfitter said he had to drop us off near shore and we had to walk into shore to their place.

There was a 15'-20' wall of ice pushed up right near the shore that wasn't there when we went out!!! :w00t:

It was pretty impressive!! :D

I was cutting a hole with a 6" manual auger last weekend. A Big crack popped right through the center of my hole as I was cutting. Chunks of ice from the crack actually flew up, and one hit me in the face... That was a first for me!

I cant watch your link cuz im at work, but will check it out later.

There was a 15'-20' wall of ice pushed up right near the shore that wasn't there when we went out!!!

It was pretty impressive!!

My Grandparents had a waterfront home up in the NW corner of Simcoe back in the 60's and I remember one spring day when the ice was starting to break up and there was a real strong wind from the south east. We stood on shore watching the ice move towards us and move right up onto shore and pile up about 10' or so.

Anything in it's path was destroyed including several boathouse and whatever else was in the way. I remember thinking how impressive the incredible power was but also pretty darned scary at the same time.

Not much can stop Mother Nature when she's on a mission.

I can see how those sounds could scare the crap outta ya if you don't know what's going on and you're on the ice.

I've seen some neat video's of what Lew's explaining.. ice tsunami's some call it. Mother nature's pretty cool/scary sometimes.

Last year I was out on some early simcoe ice with my Cuban brother in law we were spudding our way out on 4 inches of ice of maple view rd. I hit the ice with my spud about a mile from shore and the ice went BOOM CRACKLE CRACKLE and the crack took of towards bbp. You could hear it traveling for a mile. I felt like Poseidon and he was very concerned. One I will never forget.

Edited by Freshtrax

On the upriver side of peoples docks on the river they have a piling with a steel wedge going from the top of the post into the upriverside of the water. I had always wonder what it was for and it was explained that as the river thaws the big sheets of ice run into/up it and is breaking apart and keeps it from taking out the docks. Pretty slick in my opinion.

Art

After reading up about it it seams the noises are due to temperate changes which makes sense since it was just below 0 yesterday after having much colder temperatures.

Kinda unrelated but tomorrow (Sat) should be +6C would it be bag idea to go on ice?

After reading up about it it seams the noises are due to temperate changes which makes sense since it was just below 0 yesterday after having much colder temperatures.

Kinda unrelated but tomorrow (Sat) should be +6C would it be bag idea to go on ice?

Just bring a raincoat lol.

I just had a chance to listen to your link.

I've heard that exact noise before. For me, I was duck hunting late season right after a really cold night. The bay was in froze over. Turns out the same morning, the township pulled logs from the dam to lower the water for the winter. The water level dropping was causing the stumps in the bay to break the ice in spots. It sounded the exact same. But there was only about 1" of ice.

I love it when the first ice forms a thin layer like on Monday AM when the temps dropped quickly. About an inch of glass like smooth new ice. Then the wind picks up and piles the ice 10 feet high in shard like sheets. The ice then Falls into the lake and sounds like tractor trailers full of glass being dumped on the road. It is very loud and very cool. My wife was off and never heard it before. We sat there listening and watching for quite a while. I tried to capture it on our small Nikon but 200 feet out it just doesn't do justice like being there. I wanted to walk out a few hundred feet but she forbid me to. What a Mom!

Next time I'll climb out on the icebergs and try to catch it, way too cool as the kids say.

The picture doesn't do this justice.
This is on Nipissing two springs ago. A strong north wind piled this ice high on an island just behind my place.

It's at least 20 ft high.
P1040069.jpg
I also remember years ago a news report of ice coming up on shore wiping out several houses/cottages. It was amazing the speed it was coming up on shore.

When the winds pick up now that ice will heave on Erie and those 20' icebergs are common. Now that I know how to post a pic I'll try to get some. This is perfect conditions for them. They can last until April floating around the lake.

Here is a link showing satellite images, they can be bigger than some northern lakes.

http://archive.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=73535

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I'm a seasoned ice fisherman - heard lottsa different noises, cracking ice coming right through my hut etc. But, this one scared the crap outta me! I'm on Erie in a bay that was safe -10" of good ice, then I hear this cracking & it continued for a long time. I'd never heard or seen anything like this before. The cracking sounds continued. Now I'm getting panicked. Not sure whether to leave or not. I looked off to the south. There in the distance approx. 1 km was a lake freighter (perhaps an ice breaker) sailing eastward. The freighter was causing wave action which in turn caused the ice to crack. I'm sure the noise also spooked the fish because I was catching, then when the noise started, they shut down.