Big water boating?

jedimaster

Just wondering what you guys would think about boating in Georgian Bay and Huron on a regular basis to get to a cottage property versus the ferry or driving around? Say from wasaga 200km's on the water to manatoulin? A friend of mine is considering this. I told him he is retarded and to just drive. Anyone spend time on huron and Georgian bay?

From a time standpoint, 200 kms at 50 kph = 4 hours. If he has a fast enough boat.

From a fuel standpoint, 200 kms at 13l/100 = ~$30 on fuel. In a boat at least $120.

He won't save time or money so the answer is self-evident. Drive, don't boat.

Edited by HTHM

You can double that fuel figure.

I used over $200 on my recent trip and that was 100kms each way plus trolling time.

I ran at approximately 40-50kph and made the trip in 3 1/2 hours each way so that's 7 hours for a 200km trip.

Much cheaper to drive and take the ferry.

Faster too!!!

You might want to let your friend know that if a storm rolls by the waves can and do hit about 4-6 ft with swells that leave you speaking to God....

He better buy one hell of a good boat or a reliable truck.

I would go with the truck....

You might want to let your friend know that if a storm rolls by the waves can and do hit about 4-6 ft with swells that leave you speaking to God....

He better buy one hell of a good boat or a reliable truck.

I would go with the truck....

not only this, but imagine loading your boat with all your gear as well, if it was only a 20km boat ride, go for it, 200km forget about

I run a 28 ft x 11ft twin 318 boat and it gets about 2.5 kms per 3.7 liters This is a boat size that can take a 6-8 ft blowup safely. I would burn 296 liters one way. No way no how would I do the trip.

Art

Dude should have considered this dilemna before signing the papers for the property. What is 'regular' ? Every weekend ?

Round trip for a boat and trailer on the Big Canoe will be around $200 plus $ for however many people are making the trip. I'd be hitting the road if it were me so you're not tied to the ferry schedule and the boring drive down from Tobermory. 'Course '69 can be a hassle as well.

Drive > Ferry > Boating, in this case

a 200k boat ride isn't abnormal, trent severn waterway anyone? just not on the open waters of georgian bay lol

In one day? Yeah, that's abnormal, lol.

I've done 70 miles in one day and that was enough for me..

I have done the same as bill M and that was brutal I have went from port Newcastle to port credit and back in a boat and there was decent true 3-4ft southwesterly waves and that was quite the ride and we were only 4 miles offshore to avoid the near shore chop and shipping traffic and sailing race around Toronto islands and my bud and I are very experienced boaters and that was an experience we also crossed Lake Ontario lots of times over to olcott NY and went from Oshawa harbor to the niagara bar in rough conditions !!!! All it would take for your buddy to be screwed would be a cold water upwelling and have a temp inversion and instant fog !! And he would die !!!!!! Better give him a good shake and get some sense into him ??? Or let him read all theses posts !!!!!! Oh ya plus GB had low water conditions and shoals and islands as well as the big ships and barges at any time so he really needs to know theses things !!!!! Like Roy said in his post why ??????????????????

I have been slowly convincing him to buy a boat and leave it moored at his cottage and drive and take the ferry.... He is slowly coming around. Glad I am not the only one that thinks he is crazy.

I told him an equivalent would be picking a day with a thunderstorm and paddling a 14 foot canoe from Beaverton to barrie. :)

Edited by jedimaster

I'll give him 1 single experience fighting 1 meter or more chop for 20 minutes and he will soon realize how stupid this thing he thinks he can do is. If he thinks this is an option tells me he is an inexperienced boater and shouldn't have a boaters card. Actually that should be a question on the boat test. Answer "yes" and you are never be allowed to pilot one of those floating noodles.

If he is going to try this with his family he should be reported to the Childress Aid Society. The thought is just plain idiotic. Not worth even typing one more word.

I run a 28 ft x 11ft twin 318 boat and it gets about 2.5 kms per 3.7 liters This is a boat size that can take a 6-8 ft blowup safely. I would burn 296 liters one way. No way no how would I do the trip.

Art

This, I had a 25 foot Searay Sundancer, it had a 70 - 75 gallon fuel tank. 233hp Mercruiser and a top speed of around 33MPH, it could handle rougher water, but you might not at top speed.

Gas was sort of cheap back then, a buck forty or so a gallon, with it at or near 4 bucks a gallon now?

I have a 70 gallon tank it is a 1985 marinette which is an all aluminum boat it is really built tough and it has seen it's fair share of bad weather. The twin's make 480 HP and it travels comfortable at 25 to 27 mph at 3,000 rpms. The marinettes were made in Holland Michigan and were very popular on the Great Lakes. The boat is a deep V planing hull with a cabin for overnighting and the back is a hard cover with 6 ft of open fishing space at the back of the boat. I love the boat but the gas milage is 1.5 mpg so it is not something I run out to the bay often ( 60 miles) but it is very nice to run out and fish locally or a slow cruise in the evenings.

Art