3 firsts... 1 fish...

So.....

I was out trying to troll up some walleyed tonight I had 1 in the tank and 2 OOS smallies that were quickly released.... I headed back to start another run and my crank bait was in the water no more then 30 seconds when it was crushed... My line was peeling.... fish's head shakin... I thought to myself that this was the first musky of the year... After a decent battle I finally saw the culprit... But it didn't look like a musky... Nor did it look like a walleye... Then it peeled another 20-30 feet of line... As I worked the mystery fish back to the boat I realized it wasn't a musky... Or a walleye.... It was a LAKER... I had my first laker on!!!!!

Now this is where the story turns for the worst...

So being alone I reach for the net... Swing it around... Take a scoop and the beast is in the bag... Or so I thought... The net snapped at the yoke... I look and the hoop is sinking with my first laker in it... So my instincts kick in and my lightning fast reflexes take over as I lunge at the net.... I reached as far as I could... I felt something... Grabbed it.... I got it.. I got the net... A feeling of relief passed through my body... Followed by lots of pain... Confusion... And fear...

I grabbed the crakbait still hooked to the lakers mouth....

So now I have this laker shaking on my hand with the net tangled in... I couldn't believe it.... So i tried sliding the tanged mess of fish... Net... Hand... And hooks over the side of the boat.... And luckily everything made it into the boat.... Including my first ever Laker still attached to my hand by way of a treble hook... Now how do I sort this mess out.... I couldn't do it myself... So I managed to put the boat in gear and get close enough to a nearby boat boat for them to hear me yelling over for help.... The old timers were a great help... They cut away the netting and then we cut the hook and slid it out... Applied first aid and all is good...

Concerned about the trout due to the length of time it was out of water attached to my hand... I put it in the well to revive and monitor...

After an hour the fish was lively and well... So I called in for someone to take a picture of my first laker before I release it... The wife came to the launch.. Snapped some pictures... And the trout swam away...

So

First broken net...

image-33.jpg

First hook in finger past the barb in me... Or in anyone in my boat for that matter....

image-32.jpg

And my first laker...

image-31.jpg

image-30.jpg

Edited by Mike Rousseau

Wow !!! Great fishing adventure for sure mike,that trip you will remember for along time man !!! Nice tanker laker as well !!!!! Yes I noticed the fin clip as well .... Congrats on your first and PB laker too too bad about the hook in the hand but it was worth it for sure !!!!!! Been there done that :))

Great fish---far better than I've caught. You say the other guys 'slid' the piece of hook out, but that it was in past the barb. Any special tricks or techniques? thx

We managed to get the hook point and barn cut off... So the rest slid out backwards....

Wow man, good catch, even though your story made me cringe several times, and that was before I scrolled down and saw the pictures!

I probably woulda jumped in, too, unless it was a pike.

Edited by Dana