Spinnerbaits... Closed or Open Eye?? Your preference??

TJQ

67 members have voted

1. 1. Closed or open??

• Closed Eye Connection
    • Open Eye Connection
  2. 2. 1/4 oz or 3/8 oz or 1/2 oz

• 1/4 ounce
    • 3/8 ounce
    • 1/2 ounce

I never understood why they ever even made open eye spinner baits. I have a number of spinner baits I never use because of that. If I am fishing for bass in pike or musky water I will run a small leader to help avoid the dread "Plink" break off's. This eliminates the bulk of my spinner bait collection. Super super annoiying.

Closed eye, but I did use both, generally because of the lack of closed eye ones being available locally. I probably have more 3/8 ounce than any other size, but for me it depends on water depth and what I am attempting to do with it? Heavier works better for slow rolling down deep.

It may have been easier and cheaper for large tackle MFG`s to produce open eye ones?

closed eye

the baits are stronger because of, the chincy r bends ones get bent all out of shape with one decent fish

i really htink the mfgs just went to r bend to reduce costs

Edited by Raf

98% of my baits are "R-bend" which are completely fine for bass/eyes..... once the toothy critters/leaders come into play... closed eye is the only way

3/8 - 3/4 is in my box as we speak..... with a couple of 1oz " bottom dwellers for those finiky smallies in 100 degree summer heat

I am shocked at what I'm reading, as I exclusively throw open eyed spinnerbaits and haven't bought the closed eye ones in years.

I throw spinnerbaits an awful lot, and have found that the closed eye baits are way harder to tune than the open eye ones because they are slightly off-set.

I always tie direct with a uni-knot and have never had a big problem with bite offs. If you snug up the knot enough it doesn't slip too bad and if it does, it's easy to just slide it back into position and snug it up again.

I generally prefer 1/2oz baits and really like the Stike King KVD models: a bit spendy, but the wire shaft is a little heavier gauge and I really get some great mileage out of them.

JMHO,

Darcy

Gotta go with closed eye, but I find them really hard to come by. I go through a bunch in the spring and summer time so to make it easier I purchase the open eye and turn it into a closed eye. Then I cut a black and red power worm in half and throw that on to.

Closed Eye---3/8--1/2 oz depending on the area and conditions

Reason?---just don't like my knot slipping out of bend

I've even taken that tip from KVD and pinched on a rubber core sinker above the head to bulk it up (minus rubber of course)

I use 3/8 and 1/2 oz spinner baits.Most of the better ones IMO are open. I carry some small o-rings just big enough to fit over the little loop on the open ones.Snap on a black swivel,no sliding down(never)and still manage to get full movement from my spinner bait. If you haven't tried that you'll be impressed.

Back to your question TJ.,closed would be preffered but not necessary.