shift work.... any tips to survive?

Gerritt

Well I landed a great new job with a major producer of consumer products. Good wage, benefits and a pension! 100% company paid.... Almost unheard of these days.... 2 year contract with option to renew after... Started today after a a exhausting medical last week..... 2000 applicants..... 20 hired... ;)

But however it will be 12 hour shifts on a rapid rotation... 2 days of days, 2 days off, 3 days of nights...2 days off back to days...

I have read all the medical mumbo jumbo about cicaden rythems etc....

I need real life examples of how you coped, and how you slept to prepare yourself for the switch to nights or to days so you could make it through the next 12 shift...

I know a bunch of people work shifts on here so I thought I would ask for you expertise in this matter....

Thanks!

G

Edited by Gerritt

Many many years ago I worked all 'three' shifts. The hardest was the midnight . . . Got home at 8 and tried to go to sleep with no luck until the after noon, get up eat and fall back asleep and get up and do it again! The summer was the worst for me kids outside playing , nice warm weather etc.

Also Saturday was bad, after getting home didn't want to go to sleep to do things and late afternoon, lights out, didn't impress the wife when we had to go out.

For that shift unplug the phone.

Gerritt,

I worked days most of my life---Mon-Fri

Then I took an opportunity that put me on a shift similiar to yours

It was too late in my life to make that change---maybe if I started younger--We worked a 5-5 shift---I was gettin up at 3:30 am on days---I said I might as well be on steady nights---I had to quit

I hope you fair better than I---it affected me physically

My buddy is a shift worker---he takes pills to sleep on days..??---I could'nt sleep long during the day

There's as many theories out there as shift workers

All's I can say and it's sincere and not being smart----good luck

If you can sleep in the daytime---You may be good

Take Care

That's gonna be a tough shift to get used to Gerritt with only a couple days off before switching, specially the 12 hour nights. With only 2 days between the change, your brain never really gets a chance to get into a rythm.

But nonetheless, congrats on landing a good job.

worked the same shifts as you're getting, one winter when construction was slow many years ago...I could not adjust to the different times. just couldn't sleep during the day, blackened the bedroom windows to not let any light in.

had a sign on the front door telling people I was sleeping during the day so go away..salesmen always ignore the sign.

tired all the time .....

just could not adjust so I quit and went back to construction.

That is a tough shift, I know. Continental I think its called. With regard to night shift I would say first, avoid all energy drinks--redbulls, etc. If you drink coffee, stick to that, drink it as normal.

Also, don't go to bed right when you get home. Eat a meal with the kids, make your lunch or whatever, unwind and go to bed when you're ready. The switch can be tough, but you'll get used to it. If its 7-7, just wake up nice and early the day your pm shift starts, be active, and then take pleasure in the fact that you can take a 5 hr nap in the middle of the afternoon and no one can say anything about it! Also, use earplugs. Really helps you sleep through house/traffic noise. Finally, use your off days to recharge, and take advantage of the priceless mid week Gonefishing.gif!!!

Thanks so far guys.... Once a month it appears I wind up with a three weekend.... There are 4 "teams" and we rotate through the shifts.... So each team per month's works get the same hours and the golden weekend... Lol...

I will need to figure this sleep thing out....

You're young! You can do it! I really think it depends on what type of sleeper you are. I am a light/crappy sleeper, so i think I am always in a bit of a daze, and was able to cope. My girlfriend work 12hr nights for a time, and she had frequent night terrors...which didn't help me sleep to easy either...yikes!

But however it will be 12 hour shifts on a rapid rotation... 2 days of days, 2 days off, 3 days of nights...2 days off back to days...

I need real life examples of how you coped, and how you slept to prepare yourself for the switch to nights or to days so you could make it through the next 12 shift...

I know a bunch of people work shifts on here so I thought I would ask for you expertise in this matter....

Congrats on what "might be" a living He!! for awhile.

Once worked a 2on, 2off, 3on, 3off, 2on, 2off - 14 day rotation and repeat. EASY!!... when it was either days or nights. I'd wonder why this employer of yours would put you through the kind of rotation that has you switching so suddenly and often? I'd think it will be tough, especially at first. That's my experience with quick flipping and short recovery times between D & N shift. Too bad the many of you hired couldn't collectively come up with a better plan? 2 weeks of days, then 2 weeks of nights would even be better. Less flipping' and you'd get into the rhythm of either or.

Biggest troubles I face with sleep deprivation are moodiness, (quick temper) sore lower back, poor decision making and poor diet. Quality sleep is needed to rest the mind and muscles, science is not lying here. Having known this for years, I prepared during that bigger work stage of my life up north. And so, that's why I work part-time now in this southern land of hospital shift-work Bull, and now only pick up extra shifts that work for me. And rarely give availability for extra nigths. When you make it through the two year contract, you will certainly know if what you've given up, and what you're feeling was worth it.

I don't envy what's coming your way Gerritt. In healthcare I could do what you're planning too back in my early 20's... not so easy now I find. If it's physical or mental labor it's still work that you need to likely be at your best for. When you come off nights, "IF" you're able to go home and sleep right away, you can only do so a few hours in the morning and then you will have to drag yourself up and around the rest of the day in order to get good rest that coming night. If you can't sleep that evening, an aid might be in order for just that one night. (sometimes it's a couple fingers of scotch and a Gravol) Next day you should be OK, then next day back to work. Fine... you made it once... or you make it everytime... but...

Those switch days are tough, they can be write-offs. The lack of sleep over a long period does catch up, because sleep lost is never regained no matter how you try. Each flip day to me feels like a day lost too, and the day you have to go in for the night shift you hold back on stuff too. I can't make committments easily on the flip day because it could be one full night running in the ER and you're dead, or a quiet night with breaks that wasn't so bad. You'll maybe leave people hanging sometimes and then just learn to not bother making plans.

Social life becomes more difficult too. Sometimes want to nod off in the kids Ju Jitsu class because you're tired while on a flip day and just sitting there. Missing every 2nd Christmas due to work. Having only every 2nd weekend off and missing parties, poker and being able to fish with the M-F folks. Missing family related things, period! The big plus side, more total days off, often for yourself, fewer people on the lakes and riverbanks, easier to get those chores done and more quiet time. Be warned of one thing though, jealous type people might soon hate on ya for being able to go fishing more than them, I do have experience with this too. lol.

Best things I do to cope and prepare.

Be as organized as you can about dates and events planned. Your new work life doesn't jive with most regular working folks, those 5 day a weekers. You also "maybe" don't want to be making big banking decisions, purchases or trip plans on the day you've slept three hours in the last 36 hours.

Exercise when you can, and often if you can. I like to row. All work seems easier when you're feeling up to it.

Drink extra water at work. Most of us on shift in the ER show up with litre bottles each shift and try to drink at least one, or two. On nights it sometimes seem I have to force a litre in. Your body's usual pattern is to eat and drink during the day and sleep at night. Appetite may be weird on nights, so be sure to at least stay hydrated. It'll help a little too with muscle soreness because of poorer sleep.

Get used to earplugs and/or white noise when sleeping. It helps to drown out the world.

Cut back on caffeine, especially any cups nearing sleep time. Smokes, booze and sugar too. This is in the handbook man! Pack healthier foods for nightshifts, not crappy snacks. The lesser sleep you do get is even more important.

Fish as much as you can. Do the things that make you happy, and do them even more. If you're job has you alone, try and do more with others. If you're like me and constantly working with the public, many of them upset, ill or stressed, find times alone or with another to just chill, or pound on the fish to take your mind away from work.

Leave work at work too.

Good luck.

I did something similar when I worked in IT Operations at Stelco. It's pretty easy to get used to.. We'd flip flop every other weeks days/nights. Did that for about 2 years.

My next job was in IT again and for the next 5 years we did 4on, 3off, 3on, 4off. 1month of days, 1 month of nights. That 4th day could be a killer and that first night shift was a tough ride home but again, you get used to it.

Having a somewhat normal job now (7-3, work from home 4 days a week) seems like a vacation to be honest, lol.

Done it for 16 years, it's not that bad

get used to sleeping with ear plugs in and good window shades (as previously mentioned), it totally helps, and keep track of how much sleep you're getting, naps can really help

there's some perks too,

-having a beer at 6 am after getting off work, chatting with the neighbors on the front porch, your work day is done, their's is just beginning

-it can be pretty quiet and productive being off in the middle of the day

Pretty much what Moosebunk said. I did 8 hr shifts(9 days on-6 days off)1972-77 for about the first 5 years, then 12hr shifts from 77 to about 2007. Some were 3D-2N, 4 off, 2D-3N, 5 off. Unless all the others at home understand your need for sleep in the daytime, it can be holy hell. Fortuntely back then the kids were good about it. When I got to straight days about 5 years ago, it was unbelieveable, bacon and eggs at the right time of day, poop at the right time of day, you get the picture. Your body will hate you..often.

Congrats on the new job Gerritt :thumbsup_anim:

Don't forget the Mrs :)

Paul started 3 weeks midnights (we're on the third week now). He does 3 weeks day, 3 weeks afternoons and then 3 weeks midnights. Tell her to find some hobbies that are quiet :whistling: I've been making alot of stuff I would not be if Paul were on regular days. With him sleeping I have nobody to yack to or do stuff with so I must keep myself busy.

Extra long dog walks, photography, jewellery/lure making and doing some fish prints.

Plus learning to listen to the TV on a VERY low setting :lol:

Just some tips for the ones on the other side of a shift worker ;)

Well I landed a great new job with a major producer of consumer products. Good wage, benefits and a pension! 100% company paid.... Almost unheard of these days.... 2 year contract with option to renew after... Started today after a a exhausting medical last week..... 2000 applicants..... 20 hired... ;)

Thanks!

G

I did that shift for over 10 yrs, and will likely have to go back to it again in a few years. It's a jerk for me, especially as I get older. I was fortunate to have an understanding family, they knew Dad would be moody, especially on those quick turn arounds. Most good ideas covered above.

1. Don't let your coffee consumption get out of hand.

2. Booze can really take the edge off when u feel like crap, but keep it in check, it's easy to let it get out of hand.

3. Try eat regular, wholesome meals, even tho you don't feel like it.

4. Darkest curtains you can get. Make that room black.

5. A regular workout routine makes a difference.

Good luck.

I did it when I was younger & actually liked it.

7 days off every 2 weeks. Most people only get 4 days off every 2 weeks.

The way our shifts were set up was similar to yours.

Worked every second weekend & had a three day weekend off every second week end.

Days off mid week are great for fishing away from the crowds.

Worked 7-7 12 hour day and night shifts for 18 years G. Absolutely loved it. I would kill to have it back. Have been a Monday to Friday guy since 2003. Still can't stand working 5 days in a row after all those years of 2 or 3 days in a row.

The sleeping part. Well here is what worked for me. Pitch black bedroom. I mean you can't see your hand in front of your face. I made up cardboard frames with foam around them to fit snugly in my window sills. No light was getting through those babies. I just threw them under the bed when I wasn't using them. I even stuffed towels under the bedroom door to block light.So now it's nice and dark. But the dang neighbor is cutting his lawn at 10AM...THE NERVE... just when your drifting off to la la land. Buy your self a fan. Test them out and pick a real noisy one. Turn it on when you go to bed. You will get used to the noise of the fan running in no time, it will become background noise you won't even notice. Plus it will move the air around in your bedroom which is a nice bonus in the summer if your dark airtight room gets a little stuffy. The main purpose of the fan is that it will drown out a lot of noises that will wake you up. The wife starts a load of laundry...you can't hear it. The TV is on... you can't hear it. A neighbour or your kids friends pop in..can't hear it. Your family is just having a chat...can't hear that either. Your $19.99 fan from Walmart will become your best bedtime buddy. Trust me on that. Our company was very proactive on sleep and shift work. Others have already mentioned coffee and booze. I have nothing to add there. Research they found somewhere was always being passed on to us. One trick they suggested seemed to work for me on the days I tried it. When you have a shower just before you go to bed turn the water temperature down as low as you can tolerate for the last part of your shower. The reasoning is that your body temperature actually drops a little while you are sleeping so by having a little bit of a cold shower just before you hit the hay you are actually tricking your body into thinking it really is bedtime. Another thing they mentioned wear dark sunglasses on the drive home in the morning when you are just going back to bed because you have to work again that night. The reasoning there is it will be brighter outside..in the summer time anyway...then it was in the workplace. So your body will want to stay awake. Sunglasses will lessen this effect.

The swing days. When you work until 7AM in the morning but don't have to go in again that night. I handled them in 2 ways. If I had plans that evening..sons hockey game etc etc... I would come straight home from work have my cold shower and go right to bed and set my alarm for 1PM. You WILL feel like death when that alarm goes off but drag your butt out of bed. Have a coffee or do whatever to get your heart pumping. After awhile if you have not committed suicide you will feel fine and you will be wide awake for whatever your plans are for that evening, but you will still be tired enough to go to bed at your regular bedtime as if you had been on dayshift that day. The other swing day option is come home in the morning and just stay awake all day. It's not as hard as it sounds as long as you keep busy. These used to be my fav midweek fishing days. I'd have the car packed and head for the lake right from work. No weekend crowds just me and the fish. Fish as long as you want but don't stay out past the point where it would be unsafe for you to drive home. These days I would come home from fishing mentally and physically exhausted have supper with the family and then pack it in early and sleep right through until the next morning.

Others mentioned some of the cons of working weekends when the rest of the world mostly works M_F. They are all true. But there are some positives there as well. You get invited to something you really don't wanna attend. So you just dust off the... Well I'd really like to go but I have to work that weekend :whistling: It will come in handy :thumbsup_anim:

Good luck with your new job and your new hours G. If you have any other questions about shift work feel free to shoot me a PM.

For the past twenty years on November first i switch my day to night to be able to do the kind of work i do thru the winter , shifts being 6 , 7 ,8 , 12 , 18 hours with every night being different and never knowing .Then being the owner of the company i some how have to be up thru the day time to anwers the phone to take care of customers requests and every thing eles that comes with being the boss .. ect . All the best answers Gerritt have all ready been posted from those of us who do what we do and you will have to use every one , what's been working best for me over the years is to make sure i get my seven to eight hours of sleep before i have to go do my shift and its a must , and as many naps as i can fit in . When you can start to feel like all your doing is sleeping then you have it down pat . Good luck .