Kill Switch Safety tether

camillj

Not sure if this Poll has been done before ... but a video I just watched about a pretty scary accident which happened when the driver was tossed made me wonder ...

1) Do you wear your Kill switch safety tether a) Never B) Sometimes c) Always

2) Explain

I gotta be honest ... I have struggled with this ... especially with need to dash to the back of the boat to deal with stuff (rods, Downriggers, netting fish etc)... it's something though I'd like to hear about from others ... and if there is some 'workable' compromises .. eg. just hook up for running etc.

I've never used mine in the 21 years I've owned the boat. :o

When running my attention is on driving and my hand is always on the throttle.

Plus my boat's slow!!! :lol:

Top end is about 37 MPH and cruise is 26-27 MPH. I always drive for the conditions and slow right down in crappy weather.

I definately see their use when running fast boats or seadoos.

When running my buddies doos I always wore the tether.

I could also see wearing it if you were a newby to boating as you have yet to learn about what can happen out there on the water.

Driving my boat I'm pretty mch in a cocoon in the drivers seat.

If I got tossed out I would be in some serious trouble as my leggs would probably be still in the boat!!!!! :w00t:

Sometimes, more often than not these days.

Rough conditions, always attached. Especially after reading about JP's incident during the tourney, last year I think - maybe the year before. I tend to drive for the conditions and not push the limits of the boat. That being said, you never know whats up ahead.

Up until a couple of years ago, I seldom wore it. Now I always wear it if I'm alone in the boat and wear it sometimes when I'm not alone depending on conditions and speed. I run a tiller so it might be a little less cumbersome because of my proximity to the motor controls and trolling rod(s). I've lengthened the tether about 6 inches...enough to easily access things I need but still short enough to kill the outboard should I have a mishap.

I also now wear my PFD at all times whether I'm stopped or underway.

I look at it often ... and wonder if I could find a way to use it without expletives :) ... well ... as result of this little poll I did a google and found two options ... have any of y'all seen em or used em ?

1) Virtual Lifeline “wireless lanyard” - Submersion based wireless tether

and

2) Autotether "wireless tether" - Proximity based wireless tether

Jeeze .. I may actually have found something to give the Mrs to put on my Christmas list !

I only wear mine when alone or out with my young daughter.. Id hate to fall out trolling and not be able to catch up...If im with the boys i dont wear it.. I figure if I fall out one of the other guys can stop the boat.. I bought an extra long cord for mine, When I do wear mine I clip it to my shoelaces..

Nah

I tried to pull it at modest speed and nothing happened. I never bothered after that.

You mean the engine didn't quit? I just about did a face plant one day when I stood up to grab the net and forgot about the short cord. If the conditions dictate and I'm alone, I wear 2, one for the motor and another 550 cord to tie me to the boat.

I always use the lanyard. Even though I'm in a bass boat now and use it, I can say that I also used it when in my old tinny too. Actually, I think it was just as important in my small boat. That boat was easier to get knocked around in and the motor would turn hard right turn if you let go for more than a few seconds. I guess I just got in the habit of wearing it and now it's like a seatbelt...I don't even think about it.

I look at it often ... and wonder if I could find a way to use it without expletives :) ... well ... as result of this little poll I did a google and found two options ... have any of y'all seen em or used em ?

1) Virtual Lifeline “wireless lanyard” - Submersion based wireless tether

and

2) Autotether "wireless tether" - Proximity based wireless tether

Jeeze .. I may actually have found something to give the Mrs to put on my Christmas list !

That style is quite popular for larger boats that see big water. The inboard boats usually do not have lanyards to use but have keys and toggle switches for starting/stopping the motors. You can also find MOB alarms that clip on the vest if the boat is large enough to not be able to see kids/ adults that need the extra pair of eyes on them.

Art

Not sure if this Poll has been done before ... but a video I just watched about a pretty scary accident which happened when the driver was tossed made me wonder ...

1) Do you wear your Kill switch safety tether a) Never B) Sometimes c) Always

2) Explain

I gotta be honest ... I have struggled with this ... especially with need to dash to the back of the boat to deal with stuff (rods, Downriggers, netting fish etc)... it's something though I'd like to hear about from others ... and if there is some 'workable' compromises .. eg. just hook up for running etc.

"Always" If big motor on so is life jacket and kill switch No exceptions in my boat. Just like seat belt you get into the habit

I wear it when running in rough water. I took out the stock tether and replaced it with and old curly headphone cord I had laying around.

Now I can wear it and move around the boat when downrigging alone in choppy water.

How long is it? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?