Lac Seul Fall Muskie Trip

kickingfrog

My brother and I had the chance to fish Lac Seul last week with Ben Beattie. The target was big muskies.

We had a little time to try the rivers but there was not much happening and time was short.

DSCF1419-1.jpg

We split the 1600km drive over 2 days and had some snow in the morning when we woke up in White River. I had packed extra washer fluid and the snow brush when I saw the forecast for our week away.

DSCF1421.jpg

DSCF1422.jpg

It was the first time I had travelled Hwy 17 between Sault Ste. Marie and I had to take a moment to stop outside Thunder Bay.

IMGP0331.jpg

IMGP0326.jpg

View from Terry Fox Monument.

IMGP0323.jpg

Ben had mentioned seeing some grouse the last few fishless days on the road to the boat launch so my brother brought the 20 gauge and before the boat had got wet Jim had bagged two birds.

IMGP0343.jpg

On the water and it didn't take long to have a fish on. Although it ended up being a small pike the seal had been broken and it was my turn next.

DSCF1426.jpg

DSCF1428.jpg

The next fish was a nice muskie that was so thick that I thought is was 4-5 inches shorter then it actually ended up. My first Lac Seul muskie is a fat 49 inch fish.

DSC_9420.jpg

DSC_9426.jpg

DSC_9430.jpg

About 45 minutes later my brother gets one and while not as big it is a nice healthy fish. 38 inches.

IMGP0350.jpg

IMGP0367.jpg

Sometimes you have to put in long hours and suffer for your muskie, this was not the case for us. We both had a muskie in the boat before we had eaten our lunch on the first day. However, they would be our only two muskie of the trip. Sometimes you have to suffer after you get a muskie.

DSCF1482.jpg

DSCF1483.jpg

A 14 inch bait and a small looking 11 inch bait, I should have put something in the photo for scale.

DSCF1465.jpg

My brother got a big pike as well. It was measured but I can't remember exactly what it was, but I'm pretty sure it was 42-43 inches.

DSCF1491.jpg

We also had an eagle following us in one area.

IMGP0438.jpg

The second day fishing the spot it was rewarded with a pike that took a little too long to get down deep.IMGP0428.jpg

IMGP0427.jpg

In all we had 4 days on the water and the weather was wet and cold for most of it. We caught just enough pike every day to break-up the 8-10 hours on the water.

IMGP0452.jpg

DSCF1509.jpg

I have read Ben's stuff for a few years now and met him last year on the Richter Lake fly-in but this was the first time fishing with him. No doubt he knows his stuff but seeing him in action once the muskie was on the line was really something to see. All business, prepared and calm.

:Gonefishing:

Edited by kickingfrog

Great report and pictures. Beautiful Musky you got there, and your brother's is a beaut too, as well as his big pike. Love the shots of the eagle getting the pike.

Thanks for sharing your trip, hopefully one day we can make a trip with Ben aswell :thumbsup_anim:

Some decent fish for the conditions, those fish all seem to have the feed bag on - thick looking fish. That is worth the price of any guid to get some quality fish like those in the boat. Price of gas wasn't too bad either eh? :whistling: Thanks for the report.

Lac Seul usually starts freezing up early in November.

That's my biggest muskie to date and it was so thick I though it was only 44-45 inches before it went on the board. :blink:

White River was the highest gas prices anywhere, including Sioux Lookout, by about 4 cents. I haven't added up the receipts yet but I figured a $1.40 per litre when ball parking the gas cost.