Survival suit

wormdunker

My older suit is on it's last legs. It's a buoy o buoy. I find it to be rather bulky, cumbersome & awkward to move around with it on. Any suggestions as to what I should buy. I'm leaning toward a 2 piece as I have the need to remove the top on certain days. I was on Nipissing last Sunday & wish I could remove the jacket because of the mild temps. Are all these survival suits bulky & awkward? I've heard of the new Helly Hansens & Salus suits. Your comments & suggestions are much appreciated. Thanx

I've had a Mustang Atlantic class one piece for 15+ years and I am happy with it. Having said that it's now beat up and the lining is going so I'll get a new one soon. They are a bit bulky but so is wearing many layers to keep out the cold. They are warm, too warm some days. I call it a walking sauna. The advantage of a 2 piece is taking the jacket off and not sweating as much when active, the disadvantage is if you go for a swim the water can come in making you colder faster.

I've had a Mustang Atlantic class one piece for 15+ years and I am happy with it. Having said that it's now beat up and the lining is going so I'll get a new one soon. They are a bit bulky but so is wearing many layers to keep out the cold. They are warm, too warm some days. I call it a walking sauna. The advantage of a 2 piece is taking the jacket off and not sweating as much when active, the disadvantage is if you go for a swim the water can come in making you colder faster.

I too have Mustang Atlantic, but two piece and wish I had a one piece. You can always pull your arms out and let it hang around your waist.

BTW if you go for a swim one or two piece ain't gonna make any difference to how cold you get, (assuming you are wearing the jacket of the two piece at the time)... :w00t:

Salus suits are comfortable and very well made right here in ontario. I have owned one for two years and love it. They are a little pricier but well worth it.

X2. Made in KW Ontario.

I was able to pull some strings and order direct from the factory.

Edurance class. I think I paid #325..

My older suit is on it's last legs. It's a buoy o buoy. I find it to be rather bulky, cumbersome & awkward to move around with it on. Any suggestions as to what I should buy. I'm leaning toward a 2 piece as I have the need to remove the top on certain days. I was on Nipissing last Sunday & wish I could remove the jacket because of the mild temps. Are all these survival suits bulky & awkward? I've heard of the new Helly Hansens & Salus suits. Your comments & suggestions are much appreciated. Thanx

Everyone has their opinions on which suit fits them the best, which one isn't so stiff, or which one doesn't keep the pharts in. Why not go and try them on yourself and then you will know for sure.

Another big thumbs up for SALUS

....my opinion the best out there I own an odessy class suit and a sar 770 vest and i am religious about using them just remember you get what you pay for as far as the one piece i wear a t shirt and underware in any weather condition at all and stay toasty warm

m2 cents

The one Terry just bought is pretty good. Cant remember the name of it though.

Also I see HT has brought one out. It dosent say if it,s a floater suit or not,or I missed it along my readings.

I have the Natulis pro series. It,s nice and warm,but to bulky.Im looking to buy new before next season.

Take a look at the arctic armour suits. They are two piece, but warm as hell, very flexible, and super comfortable.They are also laid out better than any other floater suit I've seen, with regards to pockets, and hand warming aids.

I have a helly hanson soft flex now, its great. I had a mustang before this one, and it was also great. Lasted me about 15 years of hard use. I wear mine from the beginning of september duck hunting, till the end of april most years, so its not a 3 or 4 times a season wear. My Helly Hanson suit is going on its 5th season, and I have no complaints except for the wrist bands and there is no camo suits. They are uncomfortable at the wrists, and never stay done up properly. I always pull my wool sweater down past the cuffs of the suit for comfort and warmth on my wrists.

Anyways, they're all good. Try some on, find a good price, and pull the trigger.

Ya can't go wrong either way. By far the most used fishing/hunting tool I own, and worth every penny if you do take a late season dunking!! I fished out in that rain yesterday for 4 hours straight, and came home dry as a bone.

S.

Whatever you decide to go with, it's a good idea to make sure it Canadian Coast Guard approved. Especially if you plan on using it in the boat in the early spring/late fall. May be different now, but the old buoy o buoy & helly hansens were not.

The snowsuit will get waterlogged and the vest won't hold you up.

The flotation in the legs allows you to float horizontal and attempt getting your legs and big ole boots up on the ice.

The insulation in the suit keeps the water in so cold water from lake can't continue to circulate and cool your body temperature further. Tighten up those ankles and wrists when you go in. Your body will then only have to deal with the water in your suit not the whole lake.

Edit: Typo

Edited by Grimace

Whatever you decide to go with, it's a good idea to make sure it Canadian Coast Guard approved. Especially if you plan on using it in the boat in the early spring/late fall. May be different now, but the old buoy o buoy & helly hansens were not.

The new Helly Hansens are. Good point though, if you are going for a floater suit, get something that will truly float.

Question for ya all.

How many have put their suit on and jumped in the water and see how it reacted?

I did this one summer after I bought mine. I wanted to know how it would react,and how I would move in it.

Im talking my heavy winter boots and under garments as well. It,s a pretty cool feeling to know that your body will float,but you need to know that the floater is only one eliment. You need the ice piks as well to pull you out.

Water does get in the suit and yes you are wet.Summer water was ok,but I sure as hell,cant amagine having that dick shrivel temp, in my suit.

DONT FORGET YOUR HAND PIKS.

it depends on what you want to use it for

I used one piece suits for over 20 years

but found 2 piece suits were better and just as warm but still stiff

clam ice armor seemed to be the answer light warm made for icefishing but not floater

now I went for Arctic Armor Plus Suit super light weight and easy to move in and real warm..it is what I have been looking for for years

it is a floater suit but not listed with canada coastguard ...so if you use it in the boat you must have a lifejacket with you

now if we had ice and if I could get out fishing, I would be a happy camper

Question for ya all.

How many have put their suit on and jumped in the water and see how it reacted?

I did this one summer after I bought mine. I wanted to know how it would react,and how I would move in it.

Im talking my heavy winter boots and under garments as well. It,s a pretty cool feeling to know that your body will float,but you need to know that the floater is only one eliment. You need the ice piks as well to pull you out.

Water does get in the suit and yes you are wet.Summer water was ok,but I sure as hell,cant amagine having that dick shrivel temp, in my suit.

DONT FORGET YOUR HAND PIKS.

VERY TRUE!!! The picks will likely play a greater role in saving your life. The orange suit will make you easier to find.

The suspenders are a nice touch too. Relieve some of the pressure of the weight of the suit off your back after wearing it all day. I have a mustang and wish my model came with suspenders.

Edited by Raf

now I went for Arctic Armor Plus Suit super light weight and easy to move in and real warm..it is what I have been looking for for years

Yep after seeing that suit,that will be next choice bud.

I was just surprised they made it in extra extra small. :sarcasm:

Edited by Misfish