Finally went and did it

ecmilley

After 16 years at Active Green+Ross opened my own garage in Lindsay, 12 minute commute from home instead of 2 hours.

Been unofficially opened for the last month working on the place, getting things organized and ready, my new laser aligner should be in Friday and I am good to go. I can even sled to work now if i desire, I am located on Queen st operating as "THE SHOP"

Congrats!!!

I bought the company i was working for, 8 years ago, and love it.With good employees, i can still take long weekends all summer, and fish when i wantGonefishing.gif

Just remember, take time for yourself, and when the key goes in the door at night, the work stays there till the next day.

Congrats. Best of luck.

Good stuff!!!

Having your own business is pretty satisfying but a ton of work.

I had my own for over 10 years and got tired of the 7 day work weeks.

Now I work 5 days and don't worry nearly as much. ;)

Dave

I dont own the company I work for,but I still work 6-7 days. :wallbash:

Good move for sure!

More risk, MUCH more reward.

Some work too much -- hire excellent staff -- NEVER settle...that way the work can continue even when you aren't there.

No one ever says on their deathbed they wished they spent more time at work...as MM says, take time for youself. A happy business owner is a far more effective business owner...of course, too much fishing and you'll need to fish to eat, but you'll find that balance :)

Well done!

Congratulations Ernie!

I grew tired of lining everyone else's pockets for 20+ years and decided to go out on my own this spring. It has been pretty smooth for me and I've relied on great advice and insight from my accountant and others in my field.

Enjoy the short commute and best of luck with your new venture.

-Brian

Always room for a good garage in the area, will you be a full service shop?

that's what i am aiming for, tune, brakes, chassis alignment tires for now, see how it goes may add drive clean soon and just got my motor vehicle inspection license Wednesday

Open all weekend and close during the week a couple days - you'll make a killing as the only game in town ha ha! Think of how many breakdowns occur 2 minutes after the shop closes!

Best of luck and may it go well! I've been at it since 2007 (on my own since 2008) and it's a struggle, but no-one but myself to report to does have it's advantages.

Michael

All the best my friend! One little bitty piece of advice. Get a book keeper, the cost is minimal and it frees you up to do what you do.

I can hook you up if need be.

Edited by Harrison

congratulations. I would like to take the plunge in the next few years, but it's a lot harder since we got a couple of mouths to feed.

All the more reason why you can'nt , are real reasons why you should , they will be what drives you . I started with a wife and two kids in public school and 200 $ from my laid off paycheck . Don't kid your self , if you think you have what it takes , go use it and if all go's well you will ask your self in the end why did'nt i do it sooner . Never wait to long because before you know it there is not enought time left . Good luck ..........Ron

Edited by Skipper " D "

Glad to hear you are making the plunge. I have been self employed for 18 years now and the best advise I can give you is have a good accountant. Work hard and treat your customers fairly and the word will get around. Don't forget the elderly if one finds you and they are happy they will bring you their friends and they will come to you for everything from a light bulb to an engine from you.

Art

I have been self employed for 18 years now and the best advise I can give you is have a good accountant.

Art

Truer words have not been spoken.

We own some rental property. Our first accountant was a friend of a friend. Saved us money so we where happy. Our current accountant is freaking unbelievable. The money he saves us with his knowledge just blows me away. Find a good accountant and you will benefit big time.

Congrats on the plunge and the best of luck with your "New baby"