PPF/hood deflectors and tonneaus...

siwash

Hey folks, just bought a Ram 1500 (pre-owned). A few questions to the truck owners here - have you installed PPF or hood deflectors to minimize stone chips? If so, what have you gone with? What would you recommend?  PPF or something that is installed, like a plastic defector?  I like the idea of a film over a deflector.  Maybe be the 3M?   

Also, the truck came with a soft cover (it's faded a bit bit still seems to be holding up).  I forget the brand.  A buddy its recommending a trifold hard tonneau. What have you installed? I will likely leave it as is for now but like the idea of a solid, lockable cover... 

Thanks!

Edited by siwash

I have a trifold hard cover on my truck.

On my previous truck I had this cover for 4 1/2 years with zero issues  :

https://www.costco.ca/tonnopro-lo-roll-premium-vinyl-roll-up-tonneau-cover.product.100016100.html .

However I decided I liked the look and added security of the hard tonneau for my new truck. 

After having the hard cover for 3 years it's a decision I regret because:

1)  loading and unloading from the truck bed is more difficult ,

2) the panels are a bit heavy so my short wife can't handle them from the ground,

3)  the front panel is always down on the box rails unless the cover is completely removed , more extra work

After having the hard cover I was thinking of the added security and I realised that most people around my home have soft covers. I have NEVER heard of anyone having a tonneau cover cut open or broken into, around here on anywhere. Although I'm sure it has happened somewhere how likely is it to happen?

I'm actually considering changing mine back to the roll up type.

Just my feelings, hope it helps.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, the spirit of fishing said:

I have a trifold hard cover on my truck.

On my previous truck I had this cover for 4 1/2 years with zero issues  :

https://www.costco.ca/tonnopro-lo-roll-premium-vinyl-roll-up-tonneau-cover.product.100016100.html .

However I decided I liked the look and added security of the hard tonneau for my new truck. 

After having the hard cover for 3 years it's a decision I regret because:

1)  loading and unloading from the truck bed is more difficult ,

2) the panels are a bit heavy so my short wife can't handle them from the ground,

3)  the front panel is always down on the box rails unless the cover is completely removed , more extra work

After having the hard cover I was thinking of the added security and I realised that most people around my home have soft covers. I have NEVER heard of anyone having a tonneau cover cut open or broken into, around here on anywhere. Although I'm sure it has happened somewhere how likely is it to happen?

I'm actually considering changing mine back to the roll up type.

Just my feelings, hope it helps.

interesting points... I'll use the truck for a while before making any decision... thanks

The trifold hard covers are excellent.  You want one that folds upright and gives you full use of the bed.  I had one on my last truck and it was fantastic.  I use deflectors on my last vehicle and my current ride.  Cruse Amazon warehouse deals you can often get bargain priced accessories for common vehicles.

• Thanks 1

No complaints with my tri-fold at all, not 100% waterproof but darned near. I drove 100 miles thru a heavy downpour yesterday and everything stayed dry.   Easily folds up against the back window leaving nearly the entire bed usable. I've had them on my last 4 trucks and there'll be one on my next one too.

P1040840_001.webp.6c4fbf1b33fc2eadfe0cf4f2ab1797e0.webp

• Thanks 1