One more Open Water Report

Joey

What's Easter without a long weekend steelie fishing trip :thumbsup_anim: Headed down to our favorite haunt Friday morning and checked in. Our buddy Marlinda was running the joint for the winter again while her parents soak up the sun in Florida. She's such a hoot and a really nice lady.

She came and joined us for a beer and a smoke and we caught up on old times. She was mentioning she knows Shaun Rickard of OFC and Urban Outdoor Adventures. She says Hi Shaun.

gallery_17_7_30496.jpg

The weather was COLD all weekend and it snowed most of the time. But we made out pretty good. I started out with this 29 inch beauty (An entry for Team 2).

med_gallery_17_7_20445.jpg

And then Paul pulled up the rear with this nice little male (he looks almost disappointed at the size :lol: )

gallery_17_7_5783.jpg

Nothing else for us Friday, but we were happy.

Saturday morning was not only cold, it was flipping cold :o

I got one on second drift, had a bit of a fight, and it was off again :(

We went back to the start of the drift again and right in the same spot I had the first one for the day on, I got another. This time I set the hook :rolleyes: and was rewarded with this beauty

gallery_17_7_36357.jpg

I know it was bigger than my first, but after netting her, she wrapped herself up in the line and by the time I got her unwrapped I didn't want to waste any more time with her out of the water so I didn't take a pic with the measuring tape or OFC sign. I wanted to get her back into the water. I gave her a moment to revive and down she swam. Surprised my hands weren't black with frostbite after that tho. Gosh they hurt, and for quite awhile too.

Nothing more caught Saturday, but I did manage to get some good pictures of ice and of a Turkey Vulture that swooped down to steal a sea gulls meal.

gallery_17_7_24370.jpg

gallery_17_7_8474.jpg

gallery_17_7_25091.jpg

med_gallery_17_7_64830.jpg

This morning we woke up to this outside the door of our room.

gallery_17_7_24986.jpg

But we went down and launched anyhow and got chatting with Barry Pringle who was just out taking a look with his coffee and talking to fishermen.

We got a tip from a nice couple the night before about another drift so we decided to give that a try.

It paid off and second drift Paul gets this nice 29 incher. I really gotta teach that boy to be more photogenic :rolleyes:

gallery_17_7_26120.jpg

Not much happend for awhile after that and I took a pic of a neat fort someone had constructed out of trees.

gallery_17_7_36681.jpg

Then my rod started boinging and it was fish on. Paul grabbed the net but this fish wasn't fighting quite like the others and I was a little disappointed when it surfaced. But a fish is a fish, and I'm forever grateful for every one I catch.

A Sucker!!!!!

gallery_17_7_28701.jpg

We called it a day after that and headed home.

We both had a great time and relaxed one more time before the big move at the end of the month.

Cheers and hope you enjoyed the report.

Joey

Great report joey,and nice catch of fish for everyone as well,love those pics too. :w00t: ..it sure must have been cold out there on the niagara especially with the wind chill.. :o .brrrrrrrr thanks for sharing it sure looked like a great trip had by all.....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Your stories are always great to read Joey and you guys got some beautiful fish despite the nasty weather :thumbsup_anim:

Then my rod started boinging and it was fish on.

But could you please explain boinging, I'm not sure if I've ever experienced anything quite like that just before a fish strikes :Gonefishing::lol::lol: