NF: Family of Raccons Living Under Deck... sugguestions?

Sudzy

Have a had a reoccurring problem of a some raccoons living under a wooden deck in the back yard.

They have dug out a main hole that they burrow through to get underneath. My neighbor has said he sees about a group of five of them come down the drive way early in the morning, and head underneath the deck.

Any suggestions as to some DIY solutions to get them to get them to permanently find a new home?

I have tried some critter replant around the perimeter of the deck, and the hole, but doesn't seem to deter them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sudzy

Well, I'd be fencing off their enterance before they waddle up your driveway in the morn.

Or, to ensure no animals ever come in your backyard again just invite Misfish to sit on your deck. :D

I called animal control to get some coons out of my garage and they wanted $$$ and all they would do is release them outside my house to find thier way back in the next night. Private guys were in the 4-$500 range and they can only by law drop them off 1km away. From what I have been told a racoon will have a range of 10km. My solution was to trap them one by one and drop them off in the country 15km away at the risk of a fine. Making some davy crockett hats is another solution

Don't get why people want to save Raccoons. They are a massive problem and have be come invasive. Same with the coyotes. I can't hang a bird feeder in my back yard or else and it's happened many many times, I wake up in the morning and I have seen them hanging from it or the feeder is on the ground busted up...these are the feeders that are raccoon proof.

Over population of any animal is not good. Last year we had 9 rabid raccoons which the neighbor took care of. Farmers don't see raccoons as furry little critters. They see them as disease carrying pests. And that is what they are. Have a coyote bite into a rabid raccoon and now you have rabid coyotes roaming around, which isn't good for anyone.

We brought two of the rabid raccoons to the Ministry and the Ministry agent said we where nuts for even going near it. There is no worse animal than a rabid raccoon. They will rip your ankles off. Lets see a P3TA person change their tune when facing a rabid animal...which is happening more frequently these days with all the over population.

Easy to get rid of them, and without risk of a fine.

First, go to Rona or Home Depot and buy some animal-proof screening (sort of like heavy duty chicken wire). You'll need enough of it to go all the way around the deck. You will also need a one-way wire animal door.

Dig a trench all around the perimiter of the deck, at least 8 inches deep and about 8 inches wide.

The screening comes in either a roll, or in long rectangular sheets, and is usually about two feet high. Bend it length-wise at a right angle, so it's now about 18 inches high and it has a lip that sticks out by around 6 inches. Position this screening along the facing of the deck, in the trench you've dug, so the lip faces out from the deck, and screw it tightly into the edge of the deck all the way around. Also screw it to the brick, where the deck attaches to the house. Then bury the base of the screen and stomp the earth down so it's well compacted.

That one-way door gets installed right where the beasts have dug their hole. Install it backwards, so they can get out, but they can't get back in. The lip that you buried prevents them from digging under the wire.

Raccoons and skunks usually have a couple of back-up dens elsewhere in the neighborhood. If it's too much effort for them to get back under your deck, they will go elsewhere. And, you'll never have to worry about them ever coming back.

I was thinking trapping them and relocating might be the only permanent solution.

Was debating on whether to pick a trap up and do it myself, or give a professional a call on it.

What about placing a bright light under the deck, or a radio? Have read of some people doing that. Seems like it only might be a temp. solution though,

Going to look into the fencing, might be a good option. Thanks

Edited by Sudzy

I had a skunk under my shed for a while. You need to be certain that they have left for the night (i used skin powder on the ground at the entrance and went out a few times to check for prints) When you are sure that they are gone I put moth balls all around the shed and I have never seen them back. I guess they can"t stand the smell. might work for Racoons.

I had a skunk under my shed for a while. You need to be certain that they have left for the night (i used skin powder on the ground at the entrance and went out a few times to check for prints) When you are sure that they are gone I put moth balls all around the shed and I have never seen them back. I guess they can"t stand the smell. might work for Racoons.

I too had a skunk under my shed. Outside I rigged a siren (bicycle horn contraption) so that when she entered or left it would go off. Drilled a hole in the floor and poured a bottle of vinegar on them. They left as soon as the kids could walk! P works well too.

"Easy to get rid of them, and without risk of a fine.

First, go to Rona or Home Depot and buy some animal-proof screening (sort of like heavy duty chicken wire). You'll need enough of it to go all the way around the deck. You will also need a one-way wire animal door.

Dig a trench all around the perimiter of the deck, at least 8 inches deep and about 8 inches wide.

The screening comes in either a roll, or in long rectangular sheets, and is usually about two feet high. Bend it length-wise at a right angle, so it's now about 18 inches high and it has a lip that sticks out by around 6 inches. Position this screening along the facing of the deck, in the trench you've dug, so the lip faces out from the deck, and screw it tightly into the edge of the deck all the way around. Also screw it to the brick, where the deck attaches to the house. Then bury the base of the screen and stomp the earth down so it's well compacted.

That one-way door gets installed right where the beasts have dug their hole. Install it backwards, so they can get out, but they can't get back in. The lip that you buried prevents them from digging under the wire.

Raccoons and skunks usually have a couple of back-up dens elsewhere in the neighborhood. If it's too much effort for them to get back under your deck, they will go elsewhere. And, you'll never have to worry about them ever coming back."

Nailed it. This is what I used to do as a job for a few years in Ontario as well as BC. What Craig suggested is exactly what we used to do and it works great!

Edited by brandon

I too had a skunk under my shed. Outside I rigged a siren (bicycle horn contraption) so that when she entered or left it would go off. Drilled a hole in the floor and poured a bottle of vinegar on them. They left as soon as the kids could walk! P works well too.

Musta smelled real bad everytime the siren went offwhistling.gif .

Skunks try to avoid humans as much as possible.I put a radio in my shed. Tuned it to an all news radio station, and the voices from the radio keeps them away now, 24 hours a day.

Just so yah know....

I had a problem with them in the past and have learned this much...they are protected and managed by the MNR - animal services will not do anything!

-you cannot legally kill a raccoon without first documenting the damage the animal has made to personal property. This means pics, dates, times etc...

-with proper documentation in place, you may live trap the animal and relocate it to a rural area and them put it down, but only on private property. (get a farmer to shoot it!)

-if you are going to try and relocate the animal alive, you may only move it one km. This law is intended to stop the spread of disease.

May I suggest and only suggest, that you live trap the animal, take it down to your favorite body of water as a means of entertaining the animal, whilst in your custody. Some how or other, I always seem to trip, just as I get to the water's edge and the trap and Raccoon escape my grasp and fall into the lake!

Can't seem to figure out how to not trip carry all that weight!

Then proceed to open your own haberdashery (sp)!

HH

Musta smelled real bad everytime the siren went offwhistling.gif .

Skunks try to avoid humans as much as possible.I put a radio in my shed. Tuned it to an all news radio station, and the voices from the radio keeps them away now, 24 hours a day.

So that's what CBC radio 1 is for.

:whistling:

muddler

people keep on trapping and relocating coons

problem is johnny takes them to the far side of town and drops them off

they go to bobs house who traps them and relocates them across town near johnny's house , who traps them and takes them again to bobs neighborhood

you get the picture

I despise urban racoons. I had a bunch of them under my deck as well when I lived in Dundas.

They made a mess and crapped everywhere. :angry:

I attacked them a few times with my hard rake and got a couple of vicious shots in.

They left and never came back.

My dad had a problem as well and resorted to trapping them.

He would actually spray their butts with orange spray paint so he'd know if the same ones made their way back to his property.

One day he trapped a big old gnarly one and put it in the back of his truck meaning to release it enroute to work. 'Course he forgot about it and it just so happened he was working in downtown Toronto that day.

Upon arriving he let the beast go in a parking lot behind a high end mens wear store then went inside the back entrance.

About 5 minutes later there was a huge commotion out front. Apparantly the coon (painted butt and all) was running up and down the sidewalk terrorizing the local yuppies.

My dad loves telling that story. :)

Easy to get rid of them, and without risk of a fine.

Raccoons and skunks usually have a couple of back-up dens elsewhere in the neighborhood. If it's too much effort for them to get back under your deck, they will go elsewhere. And, you'll never have to worry about them ever coming back.

You saved me having to type all of that. Thanks.

I worked for a live animal extraction/pesticide company part time for a few years. We would sell this options as a method of varmint proofing a deck, or pool. Lifetime warranty.

The only difference, we would dig at least a 18" deep, and 18" wide.

Well, there are a couple of really good ideas already posted. Depending on where you live a few solutions might be in order. Here, a .22 and about 5 or 6 shells (depending on the size of the family) would probably be the prefered solution. We don't like to pass our problems on to our neighbours. (if you don't have a .22, then a mini G2G would work, BYOG!)

However, if you have a neighbour you don't like, a couple of cans of sardines dumped under their deck and a live trap for relocating your problem would probably work (not that I would ever do that, just saying).

The moth balls would work to keep them from staying around under your deck and be a lot less expensive and a lot less work than trying to put in a wire barrier. Try the esaiest solution first.

Let us know if you want to try the G2G thing, what was the name of that show? "have gun will travel"!

The moth balls would work to keep them from staying around under your deck and be a lot less expensive and a lot less work than trying to put in a wire barrier. Try the esaiest solution first.

Mothballs, the dammm coons use them for playing marbles around here. :devil:

I have a cure that seems to work for any animal that uses its tongue to preen and clean . Cayenne pepper - Lots of it. Put it in the entrance ways, around the walk ways and mix it with honey on any of the entrances they brush against.

No permanent harm done.

no return.

I have a cure that seems to work for any animal that uses its tongue to preen and clean . Cayenne pepper - Lots of it. Put it in the entrance ways, around the walk ways and mix it with honey on any of the entrances they brush against.

No permanent harm done.

no return.

Sounds like a good recipe for a sweet and hot sauce!!!!!! LOL