Cost of Internet Access NF

Old Man

The CRTC just approved an application from Canada's ISP's to allow them to ditch flat rate billing and start charging on bytes downloaded. If you don't want to start getting gouged even more for Internet access, you need to sign the following petition.

http://www.stopthemeter.ca/

Edited by Old Man

Done, still on one of the old unlimited Sympatico accounts I've had for 12/13 years, speed may not be the latest and greatest but what's the point of speed with ridiculously low caps, like a high horse power muscle car and a 2 gallon tank. From what I understand thesse old accounts will remain but for how long, if you got one and need the bandwidth don't let them talk you into a upgrade, you'll lose the bandwidth.

Ma Bell wants to recoupe the 6 billion she spend on new fibre optics within the next few years before everyone goes 4G...personally i think if Ma Bell wants to remain in the bussiness of communication then they simply made an investment into their company so they can continue to gouge us for many years to come...

i don't think anything will change because the Feds aren't doing anything about the power that Bell and Rogers have. It's an UNFAIR legal Monopoly... If you look at every other country in the world, internet, cable and cell phone packages are much cheaper with better service. I have a friend in Holland that pays around $35 for UNLIMITED cell phone use, internet and cable....I don't pay $35 for one of them...thanks Rogers

Edited by FishnNAutographs

i don't think anything will change because the Feds aren't doing anything about the power that Bell and Rogers have. It's an UNFAIR legal Monopoly... If you look at every other country in the world, internet, cable and cell phone packages are much cheaper with better service. I have a friend in Holland that pays around $35 for UNLIMITED cell phone use, internet and cable....I don't pay $35 for one of them...thanks Rogers

A study done a couple of years ago showed that out of all the G20 countries, Canada had the most expensive and worst telecommunication services. The ironic thing is, that most of the technology that is currently used in this sector was pioneered and developed in Canada.

You guys would be better off emailing your MP than giving your name and email to a media company.

Keep in mind - this likely has more to do with Netflix and movie downloads cutting into their cable/satellite businesses as it does infrastructure costs. By enabling Bell and Rogers to cap our use, they are in effect enabling them to monopolize the content-delivery business as well.

You guys would be better off emailing your MP than giving your name and email to a media company.

Keep in mind - this likely has more to do with Netflix and movie downloads cutting into their cable/satellite businesses as it does infrastructure costs. By enabling Bell and Rogers to cap our use, they are in effect enabling them to monopolize the content-delivery business as well.

DING DING DING we have a winner. It is an attempt to put in place a check/balance when the Netflix or equal are selling the movies and letting the internet providers absorb the cost. Kind of like using your buddies truck and not putting gas into it when you return it.

Art

DING DING DING we have a winner. It is an attempt to put in place a check/balance when the Netflix or equal are selling the movies and letting the internet providers absorb the cost. Kind of like using your buddies truck and not putting gas into it when you return it.

Art

I think it is more like you rent a truck and part of the agreement is you have unlimited gas, knowing you live on an island so you will pay for something you can't use. but now someone built a bridge to your island and you can go many more places finally using much of the gas you paid for in your rental agreement, so they put a 1 tank limit on you, but still charge you the same as when you had unlimited gas

I think it is more like you rent a truck and part of the agreement is you have unlimited gas, knowing you live on an island so you will pay for something you can't use. but now someone built a bridge to your island and you can go many more places finally using much of the gas you paid for in your rental agreement, so they put a 1 tank limit on you, but still charge you the same as when you had unlimited gas

Yea thats what I meant to say only I can't hold a thought long enough to say..... look a squirrel.... :lol:

Art

I just talked to Xplornet the other day and they told me there is a new "Fair Use Policy" coming into effect and that I would be getting a letter about it. Seems they are blaming it on CRTC. You won't pay extra but they will reduce your upload/download speed if you go over your limit.

This is from their site. Hope you can read all of this, it is the best I could do.;

Fixed Wireless

There are different Fair Access Policies that apply to our regular and enhanced services. These two policies are below. Please reference the policy that applies to your specific service.

If you are on our regular fixed-wireless service:

Our goal is to ensure that each Xplornet customer receives fair and consistent access to the Internet. A small percentage of customers are responsible for a disproportionate share of data usage on our network. To minimize the impact that heavier users might have on the experience of other Xplornet customers, we have implemented a Fair Access Policy. Our intent with this policy is to affect the fewest customers while helping maintain the best speeds for the majority of customers.

The Fair Access Policy on your service operates only during peak hours (between 8am and 1am local time). During this time, we subject traffic related to applications that are considered non time-sensitive (such as peer-to-peer file sharing, news groups, and online data storage) to a peak transfer speed of 300kbps download and 100kbps upload.

Outside of the Fair Access Policy, the speed you experience on your service is influenced by the design of the equipment. The equipment on your service is designed so that the speed you experience varies on a “per transaction” basis. Each time you begin a new “usage transaction”, such as clicking a link on the web, sending an e-mail, or uploading a file, the initial speed you experience will be the “burst” speed associated with your particular package.

You will continue to experience this burst speed until you reach the “burst limit” for your package. If the transaction isn’t finished when you reach the burst limit, the transaction will be completed at the “Sustained” speed for your package. (Click here for an example).

Each new usage transaction begins with the burst rate.

During normal web browsing, you will likely find that your transactions are at the burst rate. With larger file downloads/uploads, your transactions will be at a mix of the burst and sustained rates.

The table below illustrates the burst speed, burst limits, and sustained speed on each package.

Service Package Burst Speed Burst Limit Sustained Speed

Zip Down Up to 300 kbps 36 KB Up to 100 Kbps

Up Up to 100 kbps 12 KB Up to 50 Kbps

Zoom Down Up to 1.5 Mbps 1.5 MB Up to 600 Kbps

Up Up to 500 kbps 600 KB Up to 150 Kbps

Xpress Down Up to 3.0 Mbps 3.5 MB Up to 700 Kbps

Up Up to 600 kbps 600 KB Up to 300 Kbps

Xtreme Down Up to 5.0 Mbps 6.0 MB Up to 900 Kbps

Up Up to 800 kbps 6.0 MB Up to 600 Kbps

Small Biz Down Up to 3.0 Mbps 3.5 MB Up to 800 Kbps

Up Up to 600 kbps 600 KB Up to 800 Kbps

Medium Biz Down Up to 5.0 Mbps 6.0 MB Up to 1.0 Mbps

Up Up to 800 kbps 6.0 MB Up to 750 Kbps

Big Biz Down Up to 5.0 Mbps 6.0 MB Up to 1.0 Mbps

Up Up to 1.2 Mbps 6.0 MB Up to 1.0 Mbps

*Note: The listed packages are Xplornet’s standard offers. Depending upon your region, your package may have a different name. However, your equipment will be consistent with the service packages of the same speed configurations above.

No one is stopping them from charging more for their services. Its that they are making it mandatory for EVERYONE to cap it.

It also has little to do with infrastructure costs and everything to do with loss of content delivery revenue. In many ways this will slow innovation (or the adoption of innovation) here.

I left Bell a few years back for better and cheaper service and haven't been dissapointed.

Bell however has never stopped harrassing me to return, won't happen!

But it would seem they can still affect what I pay. This is the letter I received from my ISP....

Dear Mr. Chris

As you may have heard, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has recently approved Bell Canada’s request to introduce Usage Based Billing on wholesale Internet services.

The CRTC’s decision directly affects the High-Speed Internet service provided to you by Primus Canada and, unfortunately, the newly associated costs to Primus make the unlimited Internet service you are now enjoying no longer financially viable. This serves as 30 days notice that beginning February 1, 2011 there will be changes to your Internet service provided by Primus.

As a result, the following changes will apply commencing your February invoice:

• Your existing High Speed Internet plan will now have 25GB of monthly usage included
  • For the minority of customers who exceed this amount, additional usage up to 300GB will be charged at $2.00/GB to a maximum of $60.00/month. Usage in excess of 300GB per month will be charged an additional $1.10/GB
  • Additional Usage Plans can be purchased starting at $5/month for an additional 40GB

wallbash.gif

I'm sure if everyone limited their use of the entertainment internet we wouldn't have this problem. Those that want to download movies and music and all the other stuff, please pay. Don't like it, watch TV or go rent your movies. For all the time I use it, Rogers sent me a letter and said it wouldn't affect me, I only use about 2GB a month. What are the rest of the moaners doing to use all that time? (Other than bona fide work related). Watching spankies isn't classified under work either. :unsure:

• Your existing High Speed Internet plan will now have 25GB of monthly usage included
  • For the minority of customers who exceed this amount, additional usage up to 300GB will be charged at $2.00/GB to a maximum of $60.00/month. Usage in excess of 300GB per month will be charged an additional $1.10/GB
  • Additional Usage Plans can be purchased starting at $5/month for an additional 40GB

That's a huge rip-off! Let's start pestering our MP's, guys. They can reverse the CRTC decision.