Bear scratches ??

lew

I found this dead tree in the woods just a couple hundred yards from the house and assume it's scratches from a black bear. I've seen bear scratches before but never this deep or even this high in a tree. Their about 4 inches deep near the ground and go up about 30 feet high.

Cnv0824.jpg

Some wood chips at the base of the tree and while not visible there's a big area where the leaves have been crushed down by the bear walking around.

Cnv0825.jpg

Some deep marks

Cnv0826.jpg

Smore

Cnv0828.jpg

All the way to the top, about 30' high

Cnv0827.jpg

Just thought some may be interested.

hmmmm, porcupines eh ??

Never thought about them, but there's plenty of them around here, but would a porky do that much damage to a tree, even if it's dead ?? If you look close at picture #4 those scratches are 4-5 inches deep. :dunno:

I know there's bears in the area as I've found several piles of scat within 200' of the house over the summer.

If I was a betting man... id say porky...

what do you mean IF you were a betting man? Why I bet you plenty of times that you couldn't finish that bottle before you went to bed at Lak Air. Yes you did win though so you are still the man.

Art

It's a big woodpecker that makes those, we have them out in our forested areas, they can lay a real beating on a tree in short order. Holes big enough to put your fist in and then some. First time I saw one last year, I thought it was a raven with a bad hair do. Pileated woodpecker. Here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pileated_Woodpecker

I have seen this before and though you will not believe it, this work was done by a Pileated Woodpecker. I have witnessed the exact same distruction on a couple of trees in brothers back yard.

Trust me! The handy work is identical.

Here is a link to show you what one looks like!

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/birds/pileated-woodpecker.html

They are the largest of the Woodpecker family standing between 16 and 19 inches tall. If you ever see one work, you would rub your eyes and scratch your head in disbelief. They can and do tear our large shreds of wood from the tree. Just like the ones you see on the ground in your picture.

If you havent seen one in your back yard, consider yourself lucky!

Ab

We do have a few pileated woodpeckers around here that I see quite frequentely, infact I had 3 of them sitting in a tree on the front lawn awhile back, but I honestly wouldn't think they'd be able to do that much damage to a 30' tree.

I must admit though, I'd rather have either porkies or woodpeckers living next door to me than bears :lol: