Karma... it is a three way street correct?

irishfield

Thanks everyone and sorry for the tardy response but needless to say we've been a tad busy around here. One thing taking up time has been Jen's photo shoots between chemo regimes and the official book launch is coming up in November. A coffee table book being done through the Georgian Bay Cancer Support Centre featuring Jennifer and many of her new friends, with pictures of them and their stories.

A wonderful young lady of 11 years of age... concerned about Jen's shoes, while her own mother recovers from a battle with breast Cancer.

http://shoesforjen.wordpress.com/

If only all kids where so down to earth and ahead of their time !

Since Jen has a pediatric Cancer and is 28 years old, she doesn’t qualify for any funding as she is considered too old. Her benefits are very limited in covering her custom made shoes (just a portion of 1 pair a year) or crutches. There is so much funding available for my mom who has breast cancer but nothing for Jen who has Ewing’s Sarcoma. That’s why its important that we as a community help out this girl and show her our support that she truly deserves.
Edited by irishfield

Well we all got home about 6 hours ago, just in time for the home care nurses arrival to give Jen her Neulasta needle. It's not only gas prices that go up on Thanksgiving weekend..... I picked her needle up this morning, just before breaking her out of Mount Sinai Hospital, and it has gone up $38 in the last three weeks. Todays was $2898.44 for that measly 0.6ml of liquid.

Jen spent the entire week from Monday around noon until about 9 am this morning hooked up to the "gin pole" on her VP16 chemotherapy, that I mentioned previously was used to originally kill her pelvic bone tumour in 2010/2011. It work very well for the pelvic bone tumour and it was evident (against it) that it was working even after the very first week of treatment, so hoping it does the same trick for these lung tumours.

She has now completed two, full week, sessions of this chemotherapy and thankfully made it through the two weeks following the first session without getting a fever or needing to be readmitted to hospital. She was well enough in fact that Leah took her back to Toronto a week ago Wednesday so that she had a few days on her own and then Jen spent the weekend at a cottage on Rice Lake with her Girlfriends before starting chemo on Monday.

So Jen's through the 2nd full week of VP16 in an attempt to reduce her two lung tumours and nip anywhere else that this Ewing's Sarcoma is trying to make itself a home. She has had her Neulasta needle to boost her white cell growth in the days to come, to counter the chemo trying to crash them, and we go back on fever watch again for the next week or so....... and put the house back on lock down again. Hoping that this time goes as well as the last round and that she can go back to the city and have some time to herself and friends again before she starts her next full week of chemo. She is also waiting to hear when she's to be at Sunnybrook for a follow up head MRI, after her radiation treatments in July. That was supposed to be done in late September and we haven't heard from them, so Jen called the Radiation Oncologist's office on Tuesday to nudge that along for hopefully the 23/24 or 25th of October, as her Oncologist wants that "view" as well in time for her next appointment on October 28th.

When she goes in on the 28th she'll get the routine blood work, that they need before getting a green light to do chemo, but Jen will also have another chest CT that morning to see that this chemo regime is indeed working before they'll proceed. So the 28th is the day we get that big smile her Oncologist promised us, so keep your fingers crossed! ;o)

Edited by irishfield

Great to see Jen still getting at it despite whatever.

As have said in threads before her strength and spirit helps me the most in my fight against disability.

The doctors, etc...just want me to pack it up. but seeing Jen battle truly inspires me.

Thanks for keeping post going and all the best to you all.

• 2 weeks later...

This mornings chest CT shows that her lung lesions are improving!!! .. so she's in for another full week of chemo. Still hasn't got her Brain/Neck MRI... but it WILL be done before she starts her next week of chemo on November 18th. Hopefully it shows nothing to bring us back down......there was a loud exhale this morning, by MANY people.

Edited by irishfield

Thanks folks... we've actually learned from the radiologists report this morning that she originally had 8 lung spots.. not just 2. Dealing with 4 on her right and 4 on her left. Only the 2 on her left lung were measurable and why we were only told about those... and those two are now, after 2 full week sessions of VP16, only 25% of their original size. The other 6 "dots" are either gone or stable / unchanged.