Why did you join the OFN? Why do you stick around?

asdve23rveavwa

About ten or twelve years ago a chap told me about the Lake Simcoe fishing board so I looked it up and joined...I noticed some of the fishing shows I watched listed their web site at the end of the show so I joined a couple...I met our good friend Nanook via the Bill Dance Site and met Photoz via the Simcoe board...

The Simcoe board did not like it if you mentioned other lakes and as I wanted some info on the Kawarthas, OFC was given me as the site to ask...

However, at that time there was a lot of bickering (flaming) going on so my query went unanswered and I got the info from Ontario Fishing but it irked me to be ignored so I sarcasticly posted a thanks for nuttin' post on OFC...not sure if it was Roy or Big Cliff who contacted me first to apologize for the slight but they said to stick around...I did and the good natured ribbing and great information still keeps me coming back...

Through various get togethers I have met a lot of great people, some who have become close friends over the years...

This board became a "family" to me when I saw how the members came together during Gerritt's bad time during the loss of his son...and many other similar times since...

I still say I have never met an OFNer that I didn't like...mind you there are some I'm not in a hurry to meet...whistling.gif

I found OFC while googling for fishing info.I was on iboats forum for a bit, so I decided to look up fishing forums!LOL! And I was hooked!

Lots of great info, chats, funnies, you name it!

And all that Ive met herethumbsup_anim.gif nothing but top notch guys and gals indeed!

Ive probably fished a little harder since ive joined, and learned a ton more!

Now Dan mentioned something about the free beer!dunno.gif But that bobber of his would be great for ski fishingw00t.gif

But that bobber of his would be great for ski fishing

now theres a topic i've never seen on this board.How do you fish from water skis dunno.gif

Hey Frankie65 excellent thread. Thanks for starting itclapping.gif

Paul

Edited by mercman

tongue.gifGonefishing.gif " Randy from sturgeon " was talking about OFC and insisted i Join whistling.gif I came to check it out and joined about 1 month ago clapping.gif . There is no regrets what so ever, i love it everytime i log in, there is so much information from different fisherman and the people are friendly. I especially love the chat, there is so much variety of fish species and lots of different ways people fish and the chat let's other fisherman talk about their experiences and tips about every different kind of fishing!! Thanks for letting me in ! I'll be sticking around for sure Gonefishing.gifw00t.gif

now theres a topic i've never seen on this board.How do you fish from water skis dunno.gif

Hey Frankie65 excellent thread. Thanks for starting itclapping.gif

Paul

diito thatthumbsup_anim.gif The bobber is a cooler! a 50" muskie would pull it in!esp with the high end brew!whistling.gif Gotta get one soon!

I've met some close friends on this site, have caught massive amounts of fish because of it, been taught the in's and out's of steelheading by one the best steelheaders I know and have now become addicted to icefishing lake Simcoe :)

Still gotta write Alaska off my bucket list, the Sutton and somewhere I can get me a monster arctic char :) But I'm sure those trips will be in the near future.

Edited by BillM

I was dragged back reluctantly to fishing by an old friend. We had fished together as kids on the Thames & Trout Creek but I got away from it by the time I was about 15.

After a hiatus of about 45 years Rob talked me into going wading with him one evening. I had no gear of any lind so I went to CTC and picked up a $29.95 combo and away we went. Did I mention I was a reluctant returnee? Well, the reluctance quickly disappeared and it wasn't long before I was the one initiating the trips to the creek. And being the gearpig I am naturally I began to acquire everything.

It wasn't long before I realized that Rob was only interested in fishing with cheap whippy rods, 4# test mono, and grey Rapala minnows. My gearpigginess of course had already led to a huge conglomeration of stuff which I had no idea how to use, and Rob was no help there.

Having had a great experience with internet groups when I took up scuba diving I naturally went hunting for kindred spirits on the 'net. I lucked out when I discovered OFC almost immediately. I had already checked out a few others but it was immediately apparent that OFC was the place for me. For one thing it was all about Ontario fishing and there seemed to be a great bunch of people.

I've learned an incredible amount of stuff about fishing since I joined up. I've also gotten to know some exceptional people who've helped me out IRL. Pretty much the same experience as I had with my diving. I met people from all over N.A. and ended up with invitations to dive with some of the best (literally). I feel the same way about OFC. I have such a backlog of invitations to join them to try pretty much every kind of fishing Ontario offers that I don't know if I'll ever catch up, but it's sure fun trying.

It's interesting to note the ebb and flow of membership as very active people appear and generate lots of activity for a while, then they fade a little or even completely. That's fairly common with these affinity groups I've discovered. Sometimes people just need a little break to rev up the enthusiasm again. Other times they simply don't come back. Perhaps they figure they have nothing more to learn or perhaps their fishing interest was a fleeting thing.

I've gotta give a special thank you to Garry2r's for letting me bunk at his place so often and ride on his nifty bassboat. As well as hosting and feeding me, fishing with Garry is like a non-stop fishing tutorial on fish and gear. It's made me realize how invaluable a great guide can be when you want to learn how to do it right. If you haven't tried that style of fishing wangle an invitation to join someone on their BB, especially if you like going fast on the water like I do. But remember that speed means gas and gas means expensive, so don't be shy about offering to share the operating costs to a generous host. It's well worth it for the fun you'll have going zoomy all over the lake.

So that's my story. Nothing but good has come out of this association in the 4 or 5 years I've belonged to OFC. Thanks to everyone involved, particularly the folks who keep the site running. Also big thanks to the many who have taken the trouble to invite me out with them. I wish I had the time to keep up. This summer's medical setback sure hasn't helped but hopefully next summer I can make up for the time I missed this year.

JF

Simply put, I have become a more knowledgable fisherman because of OFC and hopefully I have helped others over the years do the same.

OFC allows you to give'ith and take'ith, and alot of times with a laugh.

Hat's off to TJ and the rest of the mods for making this place what it is.

Edited by Harrison

I owe a lot to this forum...and a while ago I arranged a song and put together a video that expressed that....Apologies to those who have seen this before...especially if it gets stuck in your head again!!! LOL. The people you see in this video are all members of the OFC community!

<br><br>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie"

value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIW590ZLv_Q?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIW590ZLv_Q?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param

name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed

src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIW590ZLv_Q?fs=1&hl=en_US"

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always"

allowfullscreen="true" width="480"

height="385"></embed></object>

Edited by ccmt

I owe a lot to this forum...and a while ago I arranged a song and put together a video that expressed that....Apologies to those who have seen this before...especially if it gets stuck in your head again!!! LOL. The people you see in this video are all members of the OFC community!

<br><br>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie"

value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIW590ZLv_Q?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIW590ZLv_Q?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param

name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed

src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIW590ZLv_Q?fs=1&hl=en_US"

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always"

allowfullscreen="true" width="480"

height="385"></embed></object>

That was awesome, first time I've watched it!! Nice work, Cliff!

Cliff I will never get tired of that song , graet piece of work , you should be proud , that song says so much about what IS RIGHT about this site that TJ has put together , and TJ you rock allso , without you this place would go to the dogs like so many other sites I have tried , no body has a site that has so many ACTIVE members , keep up the good work T so guys like me bored at work have something to do all day lmao ...

Well, I came here for the women! Ontario Female Network was what I thought I saw... then I saw Joey in a cooler and thought, hmmmm, they know how to treat women here! I think I'll stay!

I found this site via a link that Superdad had posted on the Quinte Forum... I was a member there for about a year, but that site is not a busy as this one and after lurking for a few weeks, I decided that I liked the tone of the board, I liked the way it was virtually self managed and I liked the way the members kidded each other.

I will admit, as a newbie, I was a little put off by my initial impression that there is a "clique" here, but it's not really a clique, it's just folks who have met each other, actually, folks who have built relationships by putting themselves out there. I found that if you are willing to put yourself out there, give to the board, this board will pay you back in spades!

I have met many friends here, some of whom I have been fortunate enough to now call close friends... I have been invited into people’s homes, boats and lives and I hold those very dear to my heart!

Ok... enough sentimentality, truth is, I stayed hoping to some day meet CCMT! LMAO

HH

I came many moons, and new boards ago.

I'd say as far back as the winter of 2001 or 2002?

I bought my first house in 2001, and discovered this site that year.....

I was bored out of my skull because I was broke from buying my house, and spent many hours on the computer dreaming about

Where to fish NEXT season LOL!

I stay because its entertaining and informative.

In all honesty I think I enjoy the non fishing banter as much as the fishing talk LOL!

All in all there are many great people on here that share info and expereinces and keep it fun to check in on.

Edited by Cookslav

I knew I should not have listened to the song again..

It will be another week before I can get it out of my head.......I don't know why it keeps popping into my head

"Well, I came here for the women! Ontario Female Network was what I thought I saw... then I saw Joey in a cooler and thought, hmmmm, they know how to treat women here! I think I'll stay!"

LMAO Joe , if I said something like that Spel would lock down and punish me ... You owe me a full coffee as I spit and dropped what wasnt in my mouth all over my keyboard , things like this is what keeps me comeing back , if we cant laugh at ourselves who can we laugh at , the fact that most people here have such thick skins and can laugh along makes this such a special place ..that was a star bucks double latte .....

LMAO Joe , if I said something like that Spel would lock down and punish me ... You owe me a full coffee as I spit and dropped what wasnt in my mouth all over my keyboard , things like this is what keeps me comeing back , if we cant laugh at ourselves who can we laugh at , the fact that most people here have such thick skins and can laugh along makes this such a special place ..that was a star bucks double latte .....

LOL, I wouldn't do that..... angel.png

And for the record I drink my coffee strong and black the way it supposed to be...... w00t.gif