NF: What do you shave with?

BillM

I've recently purchased my first DE razor(Merkur 38HD long shaft) and I can tell you there is no way that a Fusion, Mach3 or any other similar torture device will ever touch my face again... Got a big sampler pack of blades, currently using a Derby with great results.. Combine that with a good badger brush, some Proraso soap and I look forward to shaving everyday (ok, maybe every other day, lol)

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I shave with a mach 3 when the need arises but for the most part i use the electric.

Most of the time I just have a small beard because I don't like shaving!

Just so we're all on the same page, a DE razor is a step or 2 removed from a strait razor, and has been around longer then most of us.

The kind Dad used to use!

I started with one, but am happy to use the Mach 3 now. Am I missing something?

I've recently purchased my first DE razor(Merkur 38HD long shaft) and I can tell you there is no way that a Fusion, Mach3 or any other similar torture device will ever touch my face again... Got a big sampler pack of blades, currently using a Derby with great results.. Combine that with a good badger brush, some Proraso soap and I look forward to shaving everyday (ok, maybe every other day, lol)

I have a small collection of old razors from the 50's and 60's that i snatched from my father and grandfather. There was a time i used them every day but then i switched back to the Atra. The double edge blades were $5/10-pack not that long ago, then in the high tech razor blitz that happened a few years ago (starting with the Sensor), the DE blades somehow also got raised up to $12-15 and some are sold in 5 packs. I've seen inexpensive 100packs of blades on Amazon but there are too many counterfeits online for me to bother with them. And the other reason is i got lazy. It's nice having a blade head that moves to the face instead of having to move my hand to change the blade angle. I still have the brush, soap and razors out, i just don't use them as often.

Used a straight razor for awhile when I was in the forces got it from my Grandfather really nice German steel bone handle with a glass hone anyway someone stole it when we were across the pond. so I have been using disposables. Still use the later pot and a deer hair brush. But it is funny you mention this because I had a real nice straight razor in my hand yesterday that I think Im going to go back and buy. Takes a little fineese but I still think it is the best shave

Peter

Hiya Flintstone!!

I used the my dad's old DE a few years back and it was the closest shave. Problem is though I have a very coarse beard combinded with sensitive skin so a real close shave lights my face up like a Christmas tree. I'm one of those guys who goes to work in the morning clean shaven and needs to shave again at night to go out. I use whatever razors I find on special and I use the same disposable for about 6 weeks or so. My little trick that I use is my shaving cream dispenser that heats the shaving cream that way, right after my shower, my pores and skin are loosened up and don't get tightened by using cold shaving cream.

Edited by bigbuck

I use the sideburn trimmer on the electric to get rid of the long stuff, then finish with a fusion

no pre shave, shaving cream, aftershave, balms or anything... on the dry like a man....

Wanted to get the straight blade, every store i went to advised against it...

says it's very tricky and dangerous...

I changed my mind, i'm rather attached to my head, don't need to slice it off witht the striaght blade