Counter tops....granite vs quartz

lew

Question for those of you with either granite or quartz countertops.

After we move into the new house in a few weeks were gonna replace all the countertops but I'm undecided on which to go with as I've heard good things about both and would like to hear from those of you with either.

Granite is extremely popular and was my 1st choice, but I've heard that it's not as stain resistant as quartz and has to be sealed once in awhile, but I don't see how that could be a big job.

Quartz on the other hand is much harder and less pourous so will not stain, but sounds like it's quite a bit more $$$$

I've only actually talked to one countertop company (in Peterboro) who deals in both products and they say it's basically a personal choice and doesn't really recommend one over the other.

If I remember correctly, the granite is gonna be about $70 a sq. ft installed and the quartz will be about $90 installed.

It's a big kitchen and we're gonna have about 30' of counter, plus a 5' center island so it's gonna be very expensive which ever way I go, but I don't mind paying extra for the quartz if it'll be that much better.

Any thoughts ??

Hey Lew,

Those are good choices. Granite tends to have a nicer pattern usually. Quartz is also very nice as well. Try looking at the sile Stone products to Lew. I have had all three in houses and they all need to be sealed usually. Its best to make sure any stone is properly sealed. Granite with chip easier then the Quartz and the Silestone. If I were in you rposition I would go with the Quartz. If you want call my wife, she is a Kitchen Designer and ask her opinion. She will tell you more about them and other types as well. 416-283-3166 Press 3 then Press 1 and ask for Michelle. She is off today but will be there tomorrw. Or I can ask her tonight when I get home and let you know.

Edited by smalliefisher

I have never had either Lew but some friends did have a beautiful Granite counter top (until someone spilled a glass of red wine on it) it had been sealed but perhaps not properly or something but it did leave a stain. I'm not sure how, but they did get rid of the stain eventually but were paranoid about anything being put on the counter after that.

Lew, when we did our kitchen, we went with granite as opposed to Zodiac (Dupont), partly because it was less money, but mostly because of the more natural look of the stone. The quartz is a completely uniform surface, and we found we liked the irregularity of granite more. It'll take a little work finding the stone you want and matching the sheets, but if you like doing that sort of thing, you might be happier in the long run. It's a matter of taste, and budget. As far as sealing is concerned, I can't remember how long we went before re-sealing, but it was a number of years. Stains weren't a problem.

Good luck!

Being a cabinetmaker for 12 years I've dealt with both but would have to say granite would be my preference...although it does stain a little easier (by the way both need sealing) it is a bit cheaper but there is a lot more vein and grain patten to it which I like...But there is another route have you considered corian?? Cheaper for sure will outlast both in the maintenance and has countless patterns available...you can get a stone pattern that looks just like granite in many colors....great look,high durability, lower cost...heres a pretty cool design link I found check it out if you like...

http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces/en_US/prod...rian/index.html

click on the design my kitchen link on bottom right of page

But there is another route have you considered corian?? Cheaper for sure will outlast both in the maintenance and has countless patterns available...you can get a stone pattern that looks just like granite in many colors....great look,high durability, lower cost...heres a pretty cool design link I found check it out if you like...

http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces/en_US/prod...rian/index.html

click on the design my kitchen link on bottom right of page

I have no experience with any of this Lew. I still have the same counter tops that the builder installed when my house was built in 89.

But I can tell you this. My sister-in-law has had quartz and granite and has went to Corian, and believe me money is no object for her cause there loaded. They liked the excellent color choices it offered and are happier with it's performance compared to the other 2. They entertain a lot and like Cliff mentioned above... have had more then one red wine stain to deal with on the quartz and granite.

Seams if required are visible with granite, but not with quartz, or solid surface.

Solid surface is easily repaired if burnt or gouged. They can acually cut a piece out and replace with a piece that was cutout

for the sink. Not so with granite.

I have granite at my place, and solid surface in the bathrooms. Both are lovely, it just depends on what you like the looks of.

Edited by floatman55

Tj, the best thing to fillet fish on is a 3ft long piece of cedar 2X10. You don't want to run the risk of damaging the pretty granite or quartz. Lew, I've heard really good things about quartz and how it is less maintenance intensive as granite, they both look nice. 12 in one hand a dozen in the other......

I went with Zodiac when I redid my kitchen.My parents went with Granite when they built thier house.The granite needs more maintenence but knowing you that will not be an issue.My father likes my counter tops better,they clean up easier and alway have a smooth feeling to them.The granite has a gritty texture.The zodiac does not have the veins or texture of the granite.I am very pleased with the Zodiac.Good luck

Joe

Thanks for all your different opinions guys, that's what I was hoping for. Some really good thoughts on both the granite & quartz, plus a couple other products I'm not really familiar with. Looks I'll be doing a bit more reading on everything now.

Thanks again everyone

Hey Lew.

If you are going with granite, I highly, highly reccommend Delray Granite, they are just outside Lakefield, about halfway to Bridgenorth on the south side of the highway.

We had out counters done last November and they look great. They deal with a number of suppliers/distributors and you can pick out your slabs in toronto and have them shipped up. They deal with 3 c.m product, vs. 3/4 inch, which looks so much better in my opinion. They do all computerized measurements and templating. It was more expensive than going with a Toronto installer, but I don't mind supporting a local business.

We actually had a T. installer come measure because the price was right. When they showed up with a tape measure and no other way to template, I was skeptical. When I asked how they would get it to fit tight to the wall, they said they would just fill the gap in with silicone.....buh bye, I said. Anyway, we went with Delray and were more than happy.

We did the same research you did and went with granite. I is really amazing with the totally natural patterns, each slab has character.

If you are going with granite, I highly, highly reccommend Delray Granite, they are just outside Lakefield, about halfway to Bridgenorth on the south side of the highway.

That's funny Dutch, I travel that road all the time and never knew there was a granite dealer there, but I guess we don't see things we're not looking for. Anyways, that's only a couple miles from my trailer and about 15 miles from the new house so I'll definetely get in touch with him and see what he's got to say.

Thanks again everyone !!

Re: Granite...

Apparently ... seen it on TLC... that granite countertops MAY contain Radon which is a carcinogen ...some countertops have been tested to have Radon emissions equivalent to 2 1/2 packs of smokes a day..

The recommendation was to have a Geigercounter available when purchasing a Granite countertop..

anything below .x?ppm of radiation is acceptable..

I don't wanna make you worry but here's a link..

http://radiation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/radi...amp;p_topview=1

RFS

:canadian:

I did my kitchen 2 years ago and went with solid surface. Same as Corian but a different brand. The main reason is because its softer than stone. When you set a wine glass on granite, you have to set it down easy...and so do the kids with a glass. When you set it on the Corian, you don't need to think about it.

I plan on building a house this summer and will do the same again.

Edited by Dara