What is fair (NF)

BITEME

Good Morning Everyone

This is not fishing related but I’m defiantly fishing for some kind of input.

The subject today is fighting. I’m not sure about the ladies but most of the guys must of had one or two.

Anyway got into a conversation with number 3 about the subject of defending ones self against an attacker. Now I for one believe there is no need to pick a fight, but there are times when you need to defend yourself and as far as that goes my belief is you do what is necessary to keep from getting a beating with the amount of force you apply equal to the attack. So I said if all else fails you go for Throat Eyes or Nards to diffuse the situation booting someone in the head is not cool and beating someone unconscious is not necessary unless said individuals intent is to cause grievous harm.

Whatever you do is to subdue the individual to give you ability to get away and never turn your back. Well I was informed that you could do none of these because you would lose face because it is for lack of better words SISSY. I’m told it is better to take the beating then to defend any way possible.

What is wrong with this picture this type of situation is not a sanctioned event and pretty much rule less. Can I get some opinions on this am I completely wrong in my advice just throwing this out there?

Confused

Peter

Avery was getting picked, the school said they were doing something, which didn't work, so I told him to punch the bully right in the face. ... which he did, layed him out, ... end of situation for 8 years now... of course, hes put on a few pounds now. My advice.. if someones bullying you the schools etc have NO way to stop it no matter what they say, it's still a mans world and men have to do what men have to do... just my opinion.. that's all it is..

LOL.. its kinda funny cause yesterday, he complained about being punch "vigorously" on the bus yesterday, I asked him why he didn't defend himself, lol.. the boy punching him is pretty mentally challenged and he said what do I do??? "I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't"..

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i avoid fights, will usually try and diffuse a situation, but heaven help your eyes, throat and nards if you start a fight with me.

there is no such thing as fighting dirty in a street or barfight if you didn't start it.

if you instigated a fight, it's fighting dirty.

that's how i've always looked at it.

I have never started a fight and usually try to defuse the situation, but when the serious threat is still there to myself or my family/friends, no holds barred with no hesitation.

Edited by Harrison

Also one for talking it out, but it's a very subjective thing. Some people seem to get more offended by words than violence, and I think news broadcasts today can attest to some of that especially when the "R-word" is involved. That seems out of context here though...

Fighting "dirty" doesn't always work. It's a romantic notion that someone will drop to the ground with a kick to the nards -- which undoubtedly is the case many times -- but I'd still be prepared for much more than a quick getaway. Given that the context seemed to warrant violence one at least on party, likelihood tells me you'll have a pissed off guy with sore nards after you.

Some classes in self defence training, formal or not, may be ideal for someone who is not comfortable with physical defence.

"my belief is you do what is necessary to keep from getting a beating with the amount of force you apply equal to the attack."

I think the above quote is wrong with respect to the law. If you believe that you or someone else are in imminent danger of great bodily harm or death then it is ok to use force exceeding what the person is dishing out as defense to immediately stop the action eg shooting someone with a knife or bat who is about to strike you. Of course you will have to explain your reasoning of your use of force model in court but I'd rather be alive and take a chance of going to jail than dead. Situational awareness is the best to use and sometimes running away does not help you if the person chasing you is faster and/or you are not a good runner.

Something interesting for security guards in Ontario: If you are being attacked by someone with a knife (and can't disengage safely) and are able to disarm the suspect you then can not (legally) pick up that knife to defend yourself because a knife is not a defensive weapon. Good thing is that some flashlights have slightly curved and sharpened fronts to defend yourself which is just as lethal as a knife. Courts can't say you can't use it because if they ask, you just say its a flashlight.

Edited by Syn

After defending themselves any way possible if someone calls them a wussy or sissy tell them to kick their butt tooo, end of problem. One of my daughters friends ( no father figure around) had a problem over 10 yrs ago at school with a group of kids always kicking, throwing things at her, pushing, my daughter asked what she should do, so I said grab them by the throat kick them were it hurts or punch in the nose, then I went to the school & talked to the teacher & principal, told them what I told her & they said I couldn't tell her that, I said if she does it they better talk to me before they punish her & if they couldn't get it under control maybe I would visit the parents of all the kids & do the same to them, problem solved I think they told the parents what I said, defend your family & friends more then you would yourself

Richard

Avery was getting picked, the school said they were doing something, which didn't work, so I told him to punch the bully right in the face. ... which he did, layed him out, ... end of situation for 8 years now...

Thats awesome, feels good just reading it. Gotta be careful though as some bullies who just got their ego cut to size in front of the school may turn it up a notch after that. Pretty touchy set of circumstances. But seeing the outcome, GOOD FOR HIM!!!

This is a tough one Peter, at least for me.

I was picked on at school through my early teens and I was pretty cool with it. Until one day at 15, I snapped and the unfortunate bully on the wrong end of my wrath spent 7 days in hospital. That was the last time that I got into a fight and as you might imagine there was consequences involved. Today, unless I was in any real danger I would probably walk away if I could. My kids didn't really have the problem and so far neither have my grandkids.

Having said that, if anyone hurt any member of my family, I would probably end up in jail.

Well I was informed that you could do none of these because you would lose face because it is for lack of better words SISSY. I’m told it is better to take the beating then to defend any way possible.

Those who ALLOW themselves to be walked on, WILL be walked on! :wallbash:

A famous character once said "Life is like a box of chocolates" :thumbsup_anim: ...oops, wrong quote.

"Stupid is as stupid does" ...Don't be stupid...stand up for yourself!

I taught my son to never start a fight.

BUT..if someone starts one with you...you have 2 choices.

Walk away...OR...keep swinging until the referee breaks it up ;)

He's only been in two fights his entire life that I know of. One in a Lacrosse game and another on the street. I'd wager good money that neither party will ever start a 2nd one with him.

Definitely don't instigate.

Do make sure the other party is subdued.

Eyes and throat....you really have to be careful...wouldn't want an accidental choking/blinding. Nards usually tingle for a while, but they'll be ok :lol:

In the case of a kid (like Avery dealt with) who doesn't know when to quit....POW!

I've been in my fair share of altercations but there is a few unwritten rules that I go by..

Never kick someone when they are down, never go for the eyes/throat/jewels with intent to injure (I'm not talking about punching someone in the face, I'm referring to eye gouging, and other gutless moves). If the guy has stopped fighting back, that's it... it's over.. I'm not going to beat the living crap out of someone to prove a point. I have rarely ever been the instigator, but because I grew up a bit faster then most of my friends I was the 'enforcer' in our group... You know the guy who sticks up for his drunken, idiot buddies? lol