Neighbour's Dog

Fishnwire

My wife was bitten by my neighbour's dog (multi-unit apartment building) that was unleashed and unattended when they first moved in. She required stitches and when she told the hospital it was a dog bite a report was automatically filled out by the Health Unit as a matter of standard procedure. My wife and I are both pet lovers and were very concerned the dog would be destroyed as a result. She indicated to the Health Unit that she thought it was an accident and didn't want the matter pursued. The owners were contacted by the Health Unit, but were not fined or penalized in any way, which was A-OK with us.

Here's the problem...the neighbour has since told me that her dog has "never" bitten anyone, and basically said that since there were no witnesses, I can't prove it was her dog, and if it was, my wife must have done something to make it her fault. She's entitled to her hair-brained opinion...that's fine, but the problem is that lately she lets her dog run off his leash in front of the entrance to her unit (I see the dog tracks in the snow and no human tracks anywhere near them) so that if my wife walks around the corner on the way to or from her car, she'll be mere feet from a dog that has already bitten her once. It's only by dumb luck that it hasn't happened yet, but only a matter of time until it does.

The other issue is that they don't regularly pick up after the dog and the only pathway between the parking lot and my unit is often strewn with four or fives piles of crap which I can only hope I don't step on in the dark. I mentioned it one time, and they promised to stay on top of it, but after a week or so went back to their old ways. I can only imagine what it will smell/look like it the spring when the snow melts and uncovers 4 months of it.

I don't expect my neighbours to be perfect, but it seems to me that controlling their animal so that my wife doesn't get bitten a second time and picking up after it are no-brainers. Should I have to put up with this and more importantly, what can I do?

Edited by Fishnwire

Contact the managment and voice your concerns. As for your neighbour saying there weren't any witnesses...isn't your wife a witness to the dog biting her? If you have a video camera film the dog leash free whenever you can and record the dates and times. With video evidence its hard for your neighbour to deny the dog isn't let out leash free. Also good to have in case of a second bite and then having a court case ensue.

No neighbours are perfect, but if you don't complain to the proper authority, you become part of the problem. The next time the dog may bite your wife..it will be.. coulda, shoulda, but I didn't. If you slip is a strategically placed loaf and break a leg...nuff said.

Take pictures of the Dog and the tracks in the snow that lead to her unit, and some of the crap piles too. Show them to the superintendent ,make him notice that there are no human prints along side the dog prints.

Give the super a timeline for a response...say...10 business days..If no response go to the Humane Society or a By-Law Enforcement Officer.

Keep the pictures.

Is this a big dog? ..Forbid that your wife gets bitten again, You can get a a can of repellent for the Mrs or a mini Air Horn for the purse.

Or better yet.... befriend the Dog and train it to bite it's owner :thumbsup_anim:

RFS

:canadian:

LOL

No other dogs in the area with the same tracks????????

Book,em DANO.

LOL indead.

It's not a public area...its a narrow alley between the building and the fence and the only way in or out. I have never seen tracks or other evidence of dogs or anything else in that area in the 6 years I've lived here, until they moved in with their dog. The tracks start at their door and return there. There is no question who left them.

You sound as ridiculous as my neighbour who tried to claim her dog didn't bite my wife. Give it up.

You sound as ridiculous as my neighbour who tried to claim her dog didn't bite my wife. Give it up.

not a cool post...

Brian is pointing out that the tracks can be from any dog (did you know he is a hunter ;))...

Best bet for you has been posted and video tape the dog and use the video for you in the end...

To the people with useful comments and questions...

My landlord is beyond useless. He's good for collecting rents cheques, but entirely unconcerned with just about everything else. I'll mention it to him, because that's the right thing to do, but will not hold my breath that he will take any action whatsoever. At least I'll be able to say I made him aware of the problem if it comes to anything.

The "pup" is a full grown mixed breed (retriever mix I think) that is a good thirty pounds, fast, hyper, and, as I have mentioned, a known biter. I understand full well that the way one approaches and conducts themselves around a strange dog has a huge impact on the animal's behavior and we've always kept that in mind. That's fine. The problem is that the onus is on the owner to make sure that their animal doesn't hurt anyone. When my wife was bitten, she didn't even see the dog until it was on her...maybe she startled it...but the owner should keep the dog leashed, knowing that if it is startled it may attack, as has happened in the past. She seems unwilling to accept what happened and as such believes there's no reason to be vigilant in preventing a re-occurrence.

Even if my neighbour can somehow see into the future and knows with certainty that my wife or anyone else will never be bitten by her dog again, why wouldn't she keep her animal leashed at all times just to make my wife, who is "twice shy" comfortable? She knows my wife has reason to fear her dog, you'd think she'd make an effort to try and make her feel as safe and comfortable as possible. Wouldn't you if you were in her shoes? I know I would. Any half decent neighbour would.

To the people with useful comments and questions...

My landlord is beyond useless. He's good for collecting rents cheques, but entirely unconcerned with just about everything else. I'll mention it to him, because that's the right thing to do, but will not hold my breath that he will take any action whatsoever. At least I'll be able to say I made him aware of the problem if it comes to anything.

The "pup" is a full grown mixed breed (retriever mix I think) that is a good thirty pounds, fast, hyper, and, as I have mentioned, a known biter. I understand full well that the way one approaches and conducts themselves around a strange dog has a huge impact on the animal's behavior and we've always kept that in mind. That's fine. The problem is that the onus is on the owner to make sure that their animal doesn't hurt anyone. When my wife was bitten, she didn't even see the dog until it was on her...maybe she startled it...but the owner should keep the dog leashed, knowing that if it is startled it may attack, as has happened in the past. She seems unwilling to accept what happened and as such believes there's no reason to be vigilant in preventing a re-occurrence.

Even if my neighbour can somehow see into the future and knows with certainty that my wife or anyone else will never be bitten by her dog again, why wouldn't she keep her animal leashed at all times just to make my wife, who is "twice shy" comfortable? She knows my wife has reason to fear her dog, you'd think she'd make an effort to try and make her feel as safe and comfortable as possible. Wouldn't you if you were in her shoes? I know I would. Any half decent neighbour would.

If its a known biter, then call the animal control or the humane society or whoever.

Otherwise, i'd give it a second chance.

As for the crap on the lawn....totally separate issue. Don't deal iwth them both at the same time or you seem motivated by the mess more than the fear of getting bitten.

Edited by cram

If your land lord is one who does nothing then send in the story to him with the complaint and pictures by registered mail that way you have the proof that he knows or received the letter from you.

As for your neighbour they sound like people who just dont care and can not be bothered to take care for others.

I have a neighbour like that her cats would crap on my property alot and I would also catch her dog doing the same in the front yard I had a few talks with her she said there animals and she can not stop them from doing what they do so I started to toss it over the fence in the back yard and across the front lawn so that she could deal with it kinda funny it stopped for a bit (she would clean up the front and not let the cats out all day long). Then it started again so I set live traps on my back porch and every time I caught a cat it went to the SPCA I saved the papers that I had to fill out and off I went there is no charge for drop off of strays here.

It kinda sucks to do this stuff but if people will not take care of there property (pets in this case) then you must do what you have to and not live in fear of it happening again.

My friend's daughter was bitten on the face when she was 3 or 4 years old, now she is 13 and still has this big scare on her this should have never happened but the owner just let the dog run free and it got scared by the little girl and attacked out of fear dogs fault no kids fault no the owner should have known better.

Call the Dog Catcher, he'll do drive bys untill he catches the little mutt, then the $250.00 ticket comes out. This will make your neighbour think twice about letting the dog run large. If the dog catcher in your area is anything like the dude here in St Catharines they are very persistant if they know a dog is running at large, and are very good at catching them.Your neighbour may even get the idea if he see's the dog catcher driving around your home.

Up here, (Galway, Harvey, Cavendish Township) if a dog bites, even if it bites another dog... the owner must muzzle it every time it goes outdoors even when on a leash or running line...Outdoors = muzzle...Zero tolerance !!!

I am a dog lover here. Have a golden retriever and a newfoundland and babysititng a maltese for the winter.

Just think for one second about this. What if that dog bites and seriously hurts or kills a kid. Then think about how you would feel by not doing anything. Dogs need to be trained and obident. They also need to be leashed while outside in a public place not just for peoples safety but the dogs safety as well.

Hope your wifes stiches heel up nicely.

Cheers!

If a landlord allows dogs in an apartment building, he obviously doesn't give a crap about his tenants nor his property.

Have you talked to other residents of the building? Your best bet to get something changed is to have other tenants complain to the landlord with you. He won't like to deal with multiple complaints at once and will more than likely follow up on it.