my ice fishing season is over....

Ron

Didn't see honey swinging that bat eh..... :o

Ya silly bugger. Dont' worry Ron.. someone will drill the holes for you and all you'll have to do is jig!

Now how you gonna do an ice check tomorrow in that shape.... :D

Edited by irishfield

my ice fishing season is over even before it begins. was working on my sled trailer, walked back to the truck to get parts and wipe out.... big time.

dislocated shoulder = pain!!!!

5 hrs in hospital, 6 weeks min recovery.

Dang, that sucks!!!!! :angry:

The best physio for a dislocated shoulder is a soft jigging motion with the afflicted arm. wink2.gif

Well that sucks big time Ron. We'll just throw ya on the sled and pull ya out there with the snowmobile, well after some painkillers and a few Ceasers :whistling:

Sorry to hear that bud. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Joey

my ice fishing season is over even before it begins. was working on my sled trailer, walked back to the truck to get parts and wipe out.... big time.

dislocated shoulder = pain!!!!

5 hrs in hospital, 6 weeks min recovery.

hmmmm.....

when i got caught using my right hand one time..... and my mom said I would go blind doing THAT.....i started with my left hand....

hopes this helps.... unless of course you don't have the use of your hands anymore :whistling:

I know the pain. I dislocated my shoulder while white water kayaking on the Magnetawan. It hurt like hell ... so much that I was passing out while driving myself to the hospital on hwy 69 down to to Parry Sound. Ambulance came and picked me up in Point Au Baril. Dumb me.

That was the 2nd day in of my 2 week cottage vacation. I was fishing in the boat 3 days after, still able to use my wrist to reel. I wasn't going to ruin my entire vacation. Fishing was definitely more therapeutic and effective than pain killers. You can still be active, but within reason of course.

But I have the most important advice to tell you. Make sure that arm doesn't move! Wear your arm tight and snug to your chest. It may be uncomfortable, but that's how it has to be. The arm can't slouch. When you take a shower, try to maintain the position of sling. I can't stress this enough. If you think it's okay, and you can let it slide for that one time, it's not. It has to properly heal. Think about it. What is 6 weeks of committed effort compared to the rest of your life with unrestricted ability? Trust me. If it doesn't heal properly the first time, there is no second time ... well, there is, but you would want to avoid surgery if you can. Stick with the rehab during the recovery phase and do your routines. You may think that time is wasted, that's where I went wrong. My arm isn't where it should be, and it still hurts 6 years later to this day.

The next few months are the most important to you right now. You can still do things right now, just make sure it doesn't move!

Oh yeah, sleep with a pillow under your slung elbow. It will allow it to rest more easily with the natural contour of your body.

I hope this helps you out!

well that definitely sucks! hope you get better soon! god gave you 2 arms! you can always jig and possibly reel, just get a good buddy to do the manual labour!

what im trying to say if theres a will theres a way

haha so true !

last year I broke my wrist playing football and my other good friend dislocated his shoulder.. but we still were able to go fishing, I would fight the fish.. and he would reel/ net the fish.. yeah it may have been awkward.. but it was a blast

Hey Ron I am on the way up to your place right now to help with the recovery have the coffie on I will be there at 8:15 just enough time for a quick cup and pick up the slead and your fishing gear that way the temptation will be gone until april this should also put me back home in time for everyone to be here for Christmas at 1pm see ya soon.

P.S. hope it heals up just nice and I know your wife well enoughto know you just had to ask for Christmas off she would have allowed it.

Merry Christmas generously proportioned

I know the pain. I dislocated my shoulder while white water kayaking on the Magnetawan. It hurt like hell ... so much that I was passing out while driving myself to the hospital on hwy 69 down to to Parry Sound. Ambulance came and picked me up in Point Au Baril. Dumb me.

That was the 2nd day in of my 2 week cottage vacation. I was fishing in the boat 3 days after, still able to use my wrist to reel. I wasn't going to ruin my entire vacation. Fishing was definitely more therapeutic and effective than pain killers. You can still be active, but within reason of course.

But I have the most important advice to tell you. Make sure that arm doesn't move! Wear your arm tight and snug to your chest. It may be uncomfortable, but that's how it has to be. The arm can't slouch. When you take a shower, try to maintain the position of sling. I can't stress this enough. If you think it's okay, and you can let it slide for that one time, it's not. It has to properly heal. Think about it. What is 6 weeks of committed effort compared to the rest of your life with unrestricted ability? Trust me. If it doesn't heal properly the first time, there is no second time ... well, there is, but you would want to avoid surgery if you can. Stick with the rehab during the recovery phase and do your routines. You may think that time is wasted, that's where I went wrong. My arm isn't where it should be, and it still hurts 6 years later to this day.

The next few months are the most important to you right now. You can still do things right now, just make sure it doesn't move!

Oh yeah, sleep with a pillow under your slung elbow. It will allow it to rest more easily with the natural contour of your body.

I hope this helps you out!

Sorry about your accident and injury but the above advice is criticle in the healing process. Shoulder injuries take the longest to heal and the physio part of the healing process is most important. It may be a year or more before you regain full strength but if you follow instuctions and do all the exercises you should heal up fine. I've been in the position you are now and I know it sucks but it will heal up eventually.

Not many folks have ice fishin dialed in as well as you Ron, so I'm sure the fish are all breathing a sigh of relief at the news of your injury :lol:

Sorry for your lousy luck bud and all the best in the healing process.

I echo Lews post above.

However, Once I find some "bait in your eyes" aka crappies on Rice you are welcome to join me. You still have one good arm.

That ingury is what ended my hockey career or what I think would of been one! :)

Edited by Harrison

Guest gbfisher

don't cop out Mr. You'd be surprised of what you can do when you put your mind to it. The way I see it, you might miss a couple weeks in Jan.......... :rolleyes: If you want it you can do it. I guess you just didnt want to make up excuses for your 'Skunkings' :whistling::lol:

Hope you feel better sooner.... :) Merry ho ho....

Hey Ron:

Sorry to hear about your shoulder. Glad to hear it wasn't a workplace injury. :whistling:

Seeing as how fishing is such a physically demanding sport, evident by our sculpted physicques, you should be in rehab for several years. The agony of sitting in one place for hours not moving would be absolute torture on your shoulder. I'm sure the doctor suggested a less taxing activity like....uhmm.....playing cribbage?

So reading between the lines, 5hrs in hospital + 6 weeks recovery = 8-12 months of whining.

I have seen the size of fish you catch. Do you really think lifting things that small will cause any problems? Since you just steal other peoples spots anyway you shouldn't have to drill any holes. Just play the sympathy card. Maybe you could get the lovely bride to clean your fish for you, so as not to stress your shoulder.

So how exactly do you rehab an upper body fishing injury? Sit in the truck and drink coffee but let your minnows live?

Thanks for backing out on me today, now I have to wrap Xmas presents. ! :wallbash:

I will play along with this story about your shoulder for now but if you can't make our Jan.1, 2010 fishing date on Chemong, I will let the world know that the doctor actually said it is a masturbation tendonitis issue.

Do you play for the Leafs by any chance?

How exactly did you type this post? :blink:

Edited by Michael Brown