Long Weekend in Temagami

Joey

Paul and I got invited up to Wayne & Leah's cottage this weekend in Temagami. We booked off Friday and Monday and headed out first thing Friday morning. We heard they were calling for some pretty cold weather, but we were hoping the weatherman was wrong. He wasn't :wallbash:

The drive was 5 hours from our place to theirs and pretty uneventful except for the freezing rain from North Bay to Temagami, and the trucker who was passing on a corner coming at us head on in that freezing rain, so we had to break to give him the time to get back in his lane. Idiot <_<

Friday night we gabbed and ate homemade beef stew at the kitchen table and enjoyed some stories.

3230305074_3b96c0560c_b.jpg

Saturday morning the weather greeted us at about -35 C.

Can't beat this view on a Saturday morning, even if the snow crunched beneath our feet.

3229444933_e2b3342da2_b.jpg

3230308830_c055cdd8da_b.jpg

We headed out right after breakfast. Oops, ya dropped a loop Wayne!!

3229455565_cfcb931210_b.jpg

It got down to a balmy -29 C by the time we were set up and fishing in the wind.

Not sure if Leah's tired from Friday night or if Wayne's talking put her to sleep :lol:

3229459211_84d353ffb3_b.jpg

The fishing was slow to say the least and the only fish caught was a little laker caught by me right near sunset. Unfortunately Lakers are out of season in Lake Temagami right now :rolleyes:

Nice shot of the sunset just before we headed back.

3230310646_c352d9e3d1_b.jpg

We decided to go into town for supper Saturday night at the only restaurant in town. A great Chinese food place that had fantastic food.

3229461201_abae11a57e_b.jpg

Sunday morning we tried a different spot hoping for some whities. No sooner had we set up and Paul drops his line and its fish on. A nice pickerel out of 90 FOW :dunno::clapping: Not in the slot - woohooo.

3230312624_156def8bbe_b.jpg

Then as soon as I drop my line, its fish on for me aswell. This time tho it was quite a surprise I see when it gets to the surface. A ling!!

I've never caught a ling before and let me tell you, they are one slimy fish. Of course the camera was in my pocket so you'll have to wait for Wayne to get back and post that pic.

Then shortly after that I caught a small laker and back down the hole she went to get bigger for when she's in season.

Here is Paul giving Leah a tip-up 101 lesson.

3229464433_76b762139e_b.jpg

Then Leah's line goes off while we were talking and Wayne called her over. She grabbed the rod and had a great fight on her hands. She kept saying over and over "please don't be a ling, please don't be a ling." It was a really nice sized laker, that also went back down to swim another day.

3230315670_058e552415_b.jpg

Then I was up next with a small pickerel. Gotta love the pic with the cig in my mouth, how cooth :rolleyes:

3229466215_90d9541322_b.jpg

Then I was up again with a nice non-slot pickerel about the same size as paul's.

3230317536_9522c10a20_b.jpg

And finally Wayne came in with a nice little pickerel himself.

3230318698_936dd4c640_b.jpg

The sun started to set once again so we called it a day. Headed back and had some fantastic homemade lasagne and cabbage rolls that Leah made. Delicious.

3229469195_f74380d311_b.jpg

3230320336_45fe9a9e1b_b.jpg

We had a fantastic time despite the weather and had some great laughs, great company, great stories and watched some movies by the fire. Thanks Wayne and Leah for having us, it was a pleasure. Looking forward to getting together again soon.

Not sure what it is about our drives home, but this was what we hit all the way from Hunstville to past Bracebridge.

3229471641_cdd9a68e73_b.jpg

Then just past Holland Landing, traffic stopped. Not slowed, but stopped. Apparently some debris was scattered across the 400 and they closed it. Finally they opened two lanes and as we passed, we found out why, a truck had hit the overpass driving in the far right lane and scattered scaffolding boards all over the place :rolleyes::wallbash:

Cheers,

Joey

Edited by Joey

Fantastic report Joey! Looks like you all had a great time out there. We hit snow squalls south of Barrie yesterday on the way home...with fire trucks and an ambulance rushing up the shoulder.

At least you guys got into more fish than we did on Nipissing! Awesome pictures Joey...as usual!

Nice report Joey! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this a 2nd report this year where Paul actually caught a fish! If so, I may have to re-evaluate my current way of thinking.... the times they are a changing! L.M.A.O.!

Nice to see Leah get a fish to!

HH

NICE!!

It's sure pretty up there. I've gotta hit those waters one day for ski's, pike, and walleye. My buddy's dad had a fishing camp up there back in the 60's and he told us of stories of monster pike and muskie that would definitely scare the bejeezus out of a little kid swimming in the lake.

Nice report Joey! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this a 2nd report this year where Paul actually caught a fish! If so, I may have to re-evaluate my current way of thinking.... the times they are a changing! L.M.A.O.!

Nice to see Leah get a fish to!

HH

Ya Joe, we're all wondering when the tides shifted in his favour, and if we hadn't seen it with out own eyes, we'd be skeptical. The universe has become unaligned that's for sure :lol:

sounds like a great adventure, and some decent fish caught along the way to boot. Funny on the comments about the chinese food place, I actually ate there before as well,work brought me up that way, had to work at the Foodland(not sure if name changed now) I installed thier debit card system, rolled into town just as they where rolling up the sidewalks :lol: Checked into the Temagami Inn,went out to find some grub, the chinese place was the only place open to get some food they even stayed open late to accomodate me and my wife :clapping: ...not even the Busy Bee across the road if we wanted chips and pop for dinner was open :lol:

As for cold..well it was a few years back in May when I went there and everything was still frozen solid :o

Thanks for sharing the report

Edited by jwl