How come everything for ice fishing is crappie, pike, walleye

forrest

So when it comes to ice fishing I do not hear a peep about fishing for bass under the ice. How come?

that's easy...most places bass season closes Nov 30 with the exception of a few places way up North that are open all year :Gonefishing:

I think he was TROLLING and got a couple to bite. If he doesn't know about the seasons, then it's time to read about targeting OOS species.

Well you thought wrong (or are actually trolling). As others have stated bass are open in Ontario all year in some areas. This is an Ontario board. Here is a link if you do not know about a change to the regs, Zone 8 has them open (Timmins):

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Newsroom/Lates...NR_E004252.html

thank you to the other guys who posted especially johnnyb who pointed out that it is big in other areas. I will go a looking to learn about bassies.

forrest

Edited by forrest

One of the boys from Gatineau catches them in the winter. They are open there in the winter. He has a very cool pic of a smallie through the ice.

My question is this:

Why doesn't anyone catch oos bass on simcoe by accident. I don't target them during winter obviously but I have never heard of anyone on simcoe actually catching one.

Just wondering if anyone has ever caught one on simcoe through the ice?

I have seen them the odd time fishing for pike in simcoe butt never caught one there threw the ice.

During a walleye fishing trip on a very productive lake I couldnt keep the bass of the line.

not catching a walley in 2 days butt over 15 big bass all over 3 lbs...

thats just the way it goes some times...

During the same trip there were otters swimming all around the open river mouth .

this may also be a reason the walleye were not around after the weekend I figured we should have tried the other end of the lake ...

Do you think that the otters would have an effect on the fishing?

Interesting point about the otters...in hindsight, it's always better to have done something different :rolleyes: I've only ever caught smallmouth through the ice; one in Temagami, one in Muskoka, and my lovely wife just pulled a nice one up on Scugog this past week.

One of the boys from Gatineau catches them in the winter. They are open there in the winter. He has a very cool pic of a smallie through the ice.

My question is this:

Why doesn't anyone catch oos bass on simcoe by accident. I don't target them during winter obviously but I have never heard of anyone on simcoe actually catching one.

You are right Cudz.... up here bass season is open all year.... It closes March 31st 2009.

Here is my first forrest

IMGP1689.jpg

And my avatar is also from my first :D

Fresh water fish? Walleye, crappie, perch, bluegill,a steelhead? If I was inclined to eat them, and I would have to be stoned broke to have the desire to go out on ice in the cold to catch them.

Season is open here now till March 31st? had buddies that had bass tournaments in december and january as long as the water was open and still got them, takes a pretty good plan? Also know of people getting them thru the ice, but not considered that great of a food fish here by most people.

My question is this:

We get em all the time through the ice, but they go right back down the hole. My g/f got a nice largie today

thank you to the other guys who posted especially johnnyb who pointed out that it is big in other areas. I will go a looking to learn about bassies.

forrest

Green Trout are waaaaaaay overrated forrest... don't waste your time.

... go for those 5-9" Perch like everyone else does!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

;)

Also know of people getting them thru the ice, but not considered that great of a food fish here by most people.

Bass flesh is tough, and only slackards that can't catch any other species eat them! :rolleyes:

Edited by GCD

Holy cow its raining bass talk!

The Quebec guys seem to have the inside scoop on them. I hope to get a chance at them this winter (not OOS Bass).

Hey GCD...next time you go to take a snowmobile on a local lake get it on video. I want to see :P

forrest