OT -- Snow Blowers ... Recommendations

musky_man

Morning Mark,

I bought a Craftsman (Briggs & Stratton) 15.5 30" in November. I've only used it 3-4 times so far but it starts and runs great....with 6 forward gears and 2 reverse. I was lucky enough to get a really good deal on it.....the same model is about $400 more nowadays. There are lots of good makes out there. Everyone in my neighborhood uses the services of snow removal folks. I've been a hold out and have been plowing and shoveling here. This year I decided to go with the snow thrower. What was holding me back from buying one was the off season storage. I'm happy with what I have now though.

How big an area does he have to clear? Paved or gravel?

First, I would try to stay away from a Tecumseh engine, they just went out of business as of Dec. 15/08, there will still be parts available for them for a while but..... they may become hard to get and more expensive.

Yardworks: most of that stuff comes from China now, not that it is a bad product but we have had a lot of problems with ignition systems on their products and getting replacement parts to even do warranty repairs has been a hassle = you wait until we can get the parts = delays.

You might be better getting one from a dealer rather than a "Big Box Store". If you get it from a dealer it will likely already have been setup started, tested, and any necessary adjustements made (most of these engines are set up to run at sea level, altitude can make a real difference in how an engine preforms.) A big box store might supply it to you "pre assembled" but that work is usually just done by part timers who put it all together but have no idea how it should really work. We often see stuff brought into us for warranty that wasn't set up properly and caused premature failure. It might get fixed under warranty but you still have to haul it back then wait until it gets fixed and guess what, if you didn't buy it from us, you get taken care of as soon as our regular customers have been taken care of.

Stay away from a "used" unit unless you really know what you are looking for/at. Snow blower repairs can be very expensive, a set of belts can easily cost $70.00 + instalation and if you don't know what you are doing that is one job that can easily be a nightmare. Wheel and auger bushings need to be checked on a regular basis and kept in good shape, an electric starter can easily cost between $100.00 and $200.00.... The list goes on. It is not uncommon to see a tuneup on a snow blower run $120.00 labour + parts: With belts, bushings, fuel system flush, clean the carb, friction disk, oil change, spark plug, fuel filter; Parts could easily run you $150.00. Now mind you, for that +/- $300.00 you should have a good working snow blower that should (with regular, minor maintance) last you 3+ years.

There are many, many units to choose from, if your friend has any questions on specific units, I would be happy to try to help!

Snow blower repairs can be very expensive, a set of belts can easily cost $70.00 + instalation and if you don't know what you are doing that is one job that can easily be a nightmare. Wheel and auger bushings need to be checked on a regular basis and kept in good shape, an electric starter can easily cost between $100.00 and $200.00.... The list goes on. It is not uncommon to see a tuneup on a snow blower run $120.00 labour + parts: With belts, bushings, fuel system flush, clean the carb, friction disk, oil change, spark plug, fuel filter; Parts could easily run you $150.00. Now mind you, for that +/- $300.00 you should have a good working snow blower that should (with regular, minor maintance) last you 3+ years.

Whoa, now you got me worried Cliff. Good thing I can fix just bout anything and if I can't, do you make house calls. ;)

Go by an Ariens and you probably will never get to see Big Cliff on a professional basis, mines 40 years old this year, inherited from Dad, stil runs like a charm, may have to change an axle bearing thios year, darn, 40 years, 3 belts, 2 mufflers and a tire tube. NOT made in China. We use John Deere at work, with a couple of the klutz's we have driving them they are holding up well too.

Go by an Ariens and you probably will never get to see Big Cliff on a professional basis, mines 40 years old this year, inherited from Dad, stil runs like a charm, may have to change an axle bearing thios year, darn, 40 years, 3 belts, 2 mufflers and a tire tube. NOT made in China. We use John Deere at work, with a couple of the klutz's we have driving them they are holding up well too.

I bought a well used Arien from the former owner of our house and ended up giving it to Big Cliff... :wallbash:

It used to pull me all over the damn place and hurt my back a lot... :wallbash:

Problem was it had the blowing power of an eighty year old hooker and if the snow was the least bit wet it just dribbled out the chute...reminded me of an old man trying to have a pee... :w00t: :w00t:

Spiel; Not normally but in your case I would make an exception!

Snow blower 101:

A few little but important things to remember: Change your oil at the end of the season BEFORE you store it for the summer.

Put fuel satbilizer in your gas ALL the time (gas with ethanol only has a shelf life of about 4 weeks) and at the end of the season, drain your fuel system then start and run until it quits.

Check your wheel and auger bushings/bearings and replace them before they get really bad, don't wait for them to fail (they should last many years if you just lubricate annually.)

Inspect your friction disc and belts when you put your blower away for the season, replace if cracked, frayed, or badly worn, that way you won't be caught short in a snow storm.

Many of the gear boxes are sealed units but if yours does have a fill plug, check for leaks and top off if necessary (do not over fill, hot oil expands).

Lastly: Ariens knew how to make snow blowers but if you abused it, it can still be a piece of junk!

Spiel; Not normally but in your case I would make an exception!

Thanks Cliff. :D

Snow blower 101:

A few little but important things to remember: Change your oil at the end of the season BEFORE you store it for the summer.

Put fuel satbilizer in your gas ALL the time (gas with ethanol only has a shelf life of about 4 weeks) and at the end of the season, drain your fuel system then start and run until it quits.

Check your wheel and auger bushings/bearings and replace them before they get really bad, don't wait for them to fail (they should last many years if you just lubricate annually.)

Inspect your friction disc and belts when you put your blower away for the season, replace if cracked, frayed, or badly worn, that way you won't be caught short in a snow storm.

Many of the gear boxes are sealed units but if yours does have a fill plug, check for leaks and top off if necessary (do not over fill, hot oil expands).

Lastly: Ariens knew how to make snow blowers but if you abused it, it can still be a piece of junk!

Good advice, I can honestly say I did most of that when I stored it after last season.

I have a plow for the atv, but needed something to clear off the rink and walkways. Two years ago I bought a 20" Toro GTS. They say GTS stands for "guaranteed to start", and it does - either the first or second pull. It throws snow a long way, and takes up about as much room as a push mower. I think it cost me about $600, and is something I would recommend.

Hard to go wrong with a Craftsman... mine is well over 20 years old.. and has needed nothing more then a new needle in all that time... reliable unit and built like a tank.. I keep telling myself I want a new one..... but cannot justify it when my old "beater" works like a champ!!

24", 6hp B&S, Electric Start, 2-Stage....

G

I have a Honda 9hp. You don't need to have the electric start, cause it start's on the first pull everytime!!. I can go through a big drift and it doesn't miss a beat. The dealer told me to use premium gas and that work's like gas line antifreee as well. They are a little more money but well worth it. You will never have to worry about buying another one again.

Scoter :thumbsup_anim:

Just went through the buying process myself....

Do you need a 2 stage? If you have a large driveway (6-8 cars plus in any configuaration), you may need a 2 stage. You also need a 2 stage if you have a gravel driveway or a driveway with a big slope, or get a lot of very heavy, deep snowfalls.

Otherwise ALWAYS buy a single stage. They clean down to the pavement, are much easier to move around, no fooling with gears and they are much, much faster than a 2 stage.

I was cleaning up after the recent storms and I had my driveway done whereas my neighbour had 3 strips of his done in the same time using a 10HP "lug."

Granted, single stage aren't as wide (mine is 21"), or as high, but they are quicker. Also mine has no problems with the thick stuff at the end of the driveway.

When I was researching, the names I heard continually were - Ariens, Honda, Toro and Lawnboy (owned by Toro). I don't think you can go wrong with any of those. I ended up with a Lawnboy single stage and I love it so far. You get what you pay for.....

As you can see, most people will reccomend what they own, especially if they've not had any problems or issues with them.

Do your own research and see what names come up continually, then make a decision based on that.

P.S. - when doing my reasearch, I read that HP doesn't mean a whole lot with respect to snow blowers, many of the larger manufacturers are now omiting that information in exchange for ft/lbs. of torque, which apparently is a more telling stat. I think it is becuase a 10HP engine on a 300 pound blower is a lot different than a 10 H.P. engine on a machine that weighs 100 pounds.

Edited by Dutch

P.S. - when doing my reasearch, I read that HP doesn't mean a whole lot with respect to snow blowers, many of the larger manufacturers are now omiting that information

I noticed that when I looked over this years snowblower line up. They are all described by engine displacement rather than H.P rating.

You have received some good advise about maintenance. If you are looking for one right now good luck! Most stores are sold out. Ancaster Home Depot had a shipment the other day, 15 of them, but I think they were all presold.

I've been running a 24" toro single stage for as long as I can remember. My dad had it forever, and then it got passed on to me. Other than changing a belt every 4-5 years, and regular maintenance, its been flawless. It will throw snow over my 6' fence and into the ditch on the other side......no kidding!! Its not the fastest machine going, but it works very well, and is easy to operate!

I takes 3 pulls every time to start, and runs like a champ always. I've had it up at the cottage in march, and the drive was never cleared all winter. This thing ate up the 3ft of hard snow like it was nothing......right down to the the gravel.....it still blows my mind every time I use it. If I ever need another one, its gonna be a toro fer sure!!! Its all steel too......the only plastic on it is the gas cap :)

At work we have a John Deere. Its a good unit too, but its mounted on a small diesel tractor. From what the guys tell me, its a great unit too. It takes a real beating, I know that fer sure!

Sinker

As everyone seems to be out of stock for snow blowers this year, at least you've got a head start on research for next year! Only thing I have to add to the above, is that all the 'name' brands available at the chain stores, except for Poulin, Ariens and Honda seem to be made by the same manufacturer, which might make it easier to find parts:

http://www.mtdcanada.com/products-snowblowers.asp

Radnine, OT = Off topic

I have an Ariens 11.5 h.p. with a 24" width. Unit is built like a tank, but here in "the land of the ice and snow", it was a good investment! It is also the weight of a tank though and is not easy to lug around.

That is discouraging news to see Tecumseh is gone. The SnowKing engine was always a main engine on many, many machines!

I use the snow blower as a back-up to my ATV with a 60" plow blade. It is also used around the house to clean up close.

I looked at many brands when I bought mine, and almost bought the Murray machine from HD. I tried a buddies Ariens and noticed a huge difference in the quality and construction compared to the others I had looked at including Craftsman. I'm sure I also paid more, but I bought mine from HD in the month of August and saved $400 by buying a leftover floor model. It just happened to be the exact model that I was going to buy from a dealer and the new years models were actually going up in price, so I could not pass up the deal.

I also have an Ariens walk behind grass trimmer that does a great job. I try to purchase most of my stuff from local dealers whenever I can. The HD deal was just too good in the case of the snowblower!

Last winter I posted a defence of small blowers (5.5 hp 22" cut two stage w/no cutter bars) like the one I bought at CTC for $500. I needed one that would fit in my garage when my wife's car was in. I gave my big 30" 12 hp w/drift cutters to my son for his long driveway.

Now the little one is admittedly kind of a toy but if you treat it gently it's great for small spaces like my drive, until we get a blast like last night's. Then the lack of power becomes obvious for throwing snow any distance and chugging thru the mess left by the street plow.

Buy the biggest you have space and budget for. If money or space are an issue then don't be afraid of the little units. Just remember that heavy jobs will always be problematic for it, but not impossible. The sheet metal body is kinda twisty so don't be reefing and twisting too much or you'll be stress cracking things. And if you're a helpful soul who does your neighbours' drives too then keep in mind that ground travel speeds are slow. The one forward speed thing is a bit of a nuisance when the snow gets heavy or when it's extremely light. It's nice to be able to match the ground speed to the second stage impeller speed for better clearing.

One of the unexpected bonuses with the small unit is being able to lift it into the back of a van or suv by myself to transport it. I could never have done that with the big monster.

Happy blowing.

JF

When I lived in Grand Valley we had a 10HP 28" Mastercraft from Canadian Tire. It worked great the whole time we had it.

Our driveway was 220' long with a 2 car turn around near the house so it got well used.

Don't forget to do your end of season maintenance, you don't want issues in the middle of the season.

Edited by DRIFTER_016