OT -- Snow Blowers ... Recommendations

musky_man

I asked for advice last year and got the same great advice. Ended up not having much choice and bought the 10.5 HP Yardworks one that Spiel posted a link for as they had just gotten a shipment in and everyplace else was sold out. I paid more than what it appears to be selling for now, but it was worth every penny to me.

I am really really happy with it. Now if I can figure out a way to get it in to the bed of my pick up truck so that I can do my parent's driveway life would be good.

Charles

Get a set of ramps, drive it right up and in.

One of the things I have noticed in almost all equipment is that with proper maintainance almost all of it will last a long time! One other observation: people that pay more for their equipment tend to take better care of it! Maybe that is why more expensive equipment lasts longer????

Go to sears.ca and type in 52839 into the search engine. These are available now!

Also the 52848.

I've got a dozen available to me as a dealer store and so should most others.

I got the exact same unit delivered to my door by Sears in mid November. I also paid almost $500 LESS than the posted price in that link. It works great...very well built.

Get a set of ramps, drive it right up and in.

Hello Big Cliff,

I'm not sure what you mean. Is there a ramp system I can go to Home Depot/Rona/CT and buy? I was assuming I would have to fabricate something and I'm about the least handy person in the world so I've held off. Powertools and me usually involve emergency room visits and lectures. The most dangerous tool I'm allowed to use is the Hercules hook. lol

Sorry to hijack the thread, would just like to help the parents out so if there is a ramp type system, I'm sure some others would be interested to know as well.

Charles

the ramps from ctc will run you $300 for a set of aluminium or around $ 200.00 for steel ramps...( very heavy)....two pieces of 2x6x10 works perfctly for loading and unloading my machine in the back of my fullsize Dodge...ive never had a problem ...

I have a Toro 24 inch 7 hp for the last 27 years now. Nicknamed "Big Red" goes through ANYTHING and we get more than most in the Buffalo area. But I did have to replace the spark plug once.

I really think a snowblower is a better investment than a lawn mower. You can go weeks if you have to without cutting your grass but try to get out of your driveway to go to work in the morning after a storm hit during the night. That's when you really appreciate that snowblower.

Get whatever kind you like but don't get a snow thrower and for God's sake not a electric one at that like the dumb neighbor across the street.

I agree with the statement that anything from a major manufacturer with proper maintenance should be fine. Too bad about Tecumseh they made a good motor. I heard it was coming, but I hoped someone would step in and buy them up or something.

Last fall I bought a 1990's MTD built CTC snowblower 26" 2-stage, 6 forward 2 reverse speeds. Its was originally an 8 hp, but someone swapped in a 10 hp Tecumseh Snow King. The motor was blown when I got it. I mean busted rod and a hole in the block so big I could just about pull the piston out of it. I don't know what the fella before me did to this thing to cause it to blow two power plants. Aside from not changing or checking the oil there is really no good reason for it. Everything is belt driven and easy to maintain. In fact, I just changed the auger belts on Sunday and it took about 10 minutes not counting the trip to Home Depot to get them.

The motor was easy to replace. Lots of brand new motors or short blocks around for a reasonable price. I picked up a brand new 10 hp Tecumseh Snow King motor for $270 and dropped it on. This is my second season with it and it works great. Throws snow heavy or wet as far as you could want. I'm sure there are better machines, but for the price I couldn't imagine getting anything else.

My 20inch Ariens was great last season and no hiccups yet this season.

I love the fact that I can prime the balls 2 or 3 times and pull it once and she fires right up.

I used the electric start only once this year (When my dumbass forgot to drain the tank at the end of last season)

Thanks again for all your thoughts - much appreciated.

A final post in defence of tiny snoblowers. We've had a lot of snow the last few days here and my little unit has been great with it. Granted I had more fun using my son's big 30" 10.5 hp after I fixed his ground drive but for the price and the space it takes up this 5.5 hp 22" cut is awesome. All the snow behind me (compliments of the city plow has been moved by the the little red blower in front of me. It takes a bit longer but it does the job, and as I said before, I can pick it up and put it in the back of the suv by myself to go to my Mom's place.

That being said, if I had lotsa room in the garage, I'd still have the big blower.

HPIM0205.jpg