My Other Hobby

Greencoachdog

I consider myself somewhat of an amatuer landscaper, and enjoy digging in the dirt, planting and growing things. I like to do as much as I can in the yard to make my house on wheels look good! ;)

So I had this nasty bare spot in the front yard for all to see when they drove by.

DSC01545.jpg

DSC01546.jpg

I've seeded it a couple of times in the spring, but during the long, hot, dry summers it would die back to this spot. The ground was just too hard, rocky, and dry.

So I decided I would end this eyesore once and for all... I broke out the tiller!... the real tiller!!!

DSC01547.jpg

... and I tilled!... and tilled!

DSC01548.jpg

... and tilled some more!!! I tilled for days!

The ground was so hard in that area, I'd have had better luck tilling up the asphalt road!!!

Finally got it down to an acceptable depth and went to work on my design. Nothing out of a book and nothing drawn out... it was all in my little punkin head.

DSC01555.jpg

This the template for the serpentine edging I wanted.

Installing the serpentine edging.

Once all the edging was installed, it was time tp put down the weedblock fabric. I use a construction grade silt fence Geotextile fabric and double it (2 layers).

DSC01572.jpg

With all the fabric installed, it was time to start planting.

DSC01575.jpg

DSC01576.jpg

DSC01581.jpg

When all the planting was finished I put the finishing touches on the mulch.

DSC01589.jpg

All of these plants prefer an arid "desert like" enviorment... which they shall recieve in abundance!!!

DSC01592.jpg

Blue Pacific Juniper, grows 1' tall and 6' in diameter. (6)

DSC01593.jpg

Old Gold Juniper (gold tips in spring) grows 18" tall and 6' in diameter. (2)

DSC01594.jpg

Pfitzer Gold Juniper (gold tips in spring) grows 18" tall and 6' diameter (2)

DSC01595.jpg

Bright Edge Yucca, grows to 24" tall and will "clump" to about a 4' diameter with multiple plants, also has a 3' plume of bell shaped flowers in early summer. (4)

DSC01596.jpg

Blue Rug Juniper, grows 6" tall and 6' diameter (4)

DSC01597.jpg

Salmon Oleander, grows 6-7' tall and has pink blooms all summer (1)... he looks kinda rough right now but will come out in the spring.

Well that's it, it was a lot of hard work but I think it looks better than it did.

Thanks for lookin'! B)

Edited by GCD

Darn thats looks good......great job

Its left me feeling even more useless.....i spend too much time fishing....soooooooooo many jobs outstanding up here. HEY......great idea.....you should visit up here with us Glen :whistling:

I had to laugh......i could not help thinking that bare spot would not be a problem up here in November....hide it with 4 feet of snow :thumbsup_anim:

Great looking job GCD. Given 3-4 years to grow in sufficiently and it will look stunning.

Of course you do realize you broke the unwritten law of landscaping(who cares) :lol: Planting in 3's.

Rules were meant to be broken. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by bigugli

looks very nice , on a side note was the grass hard to grow in that spot or didnt grow at all? may be a reason for that and i have found

small gas leaks on the gas pipe IF you have natural gas in the front Blvd, small leaks that go undetected usually dry up the soil to the point

that nothing will go there, just thought i'd mention that, now if you dont have a gas pipe and the grass not growing in that spot wasnt the problem. please disregard...and very nice property!