Lower Niagara Report April 2008

Joey

Paul and I booked a week off to fish the Lower Niagara this year, instead of our Easter long weekend. We cut it a bit short as we are both sitting here with sunstroke and its all I can do to write this. A reminder to all that the sun is strong no matter how cold it may be in the morning and spending 3 days in it from dawn til dusk might not be a great idea :rolleyes:

We arrived Sunday late afternoon and settled into our usual motel room.

2422400538_8d5b70747b_b.jpg

We headed down to the launch in the morning and started our drifts. The clarity was better than we thought it might be after the rains last weekend, but still not the best. About a foot of visability. The drifts were fast and unpredictable. It was pretty nippy until about 12 noon or so and then the layers started to come off. It was a tough go the whole time and the shore fishermen were kicking our butts. Paul got one small one the first day and that was it.

2421575275_3a4e209fb4_b.jpg

The river was pretty clear of ice, except for a few bergs that drifted by, usually with gulls on them.

2421573341_38d8521d85_b.jpg

These ducks were everywhere, and loud.

2422387004_949b6f81c7_b.jpg

Day two was pretty nippy again in the morning and this time there was a bit more ice coming down, but not until later in the day. Someone said they had opened the boom.

2422389862_7e6b2cc77a_b.jpg

Paul ended up with three and myself with one fish that day. The shore fishermen kicked our butts again :wallbash:

2421577993_49ac334b24_b.jpg

We measured mine and it was a nice 29.5 inches. The biggest of the week.

2422391632_b328ac9f67_b.jpg

2422392478_fe85ba87e9_b.jpg

2422393412_da4f68ecf4_b.jpg

We went to our favorite restaurant that night for escargots, mussels and steak, yum yum.

Day three we got down to the launch and saw that they did indeed open the boom. There was alot of ice. Gotta love the sound of ice pinging off the boat all day :stretcher:

2422394484_13d6387608_b.jpg

There was also alot of other crap in the water and it was a bit of an obstacle course all day.

2421583017_ca44a8be69_b.jpg

This copter flew by pretty low so I grabbed a pic of it. Pretty cool.

2421583711_02b406a959_b.jpg

The fishing was hard again Wednesday and we only managed two all day, one apiece.

They were pretty spawned out and dark.

2421584389_90fa860b22_b.jpg

2421586801_15f2bdf3b7_b.jpg

Took some shots of birds while we booted it back to the start of the drift on my zoom lense. Some turned out okay.

2422397896_1f2faea794_b.jpg

2421585833_d1bf628a83_b.jpg

2422398912_583e07d30f_o.jpg

We planned on fishing today aswell, but the sunstroke took over and it was hard to just to get home. Slept most of the afternoon. Took my temp and it was 100.4 and my pulse 122, both signs of sunstroke, to go along with the overall aches, red skin from sunburn, headache, dizziness and dehydration feeling.

Gonna wear a floppy hat next time B)

Joey

Was wondering where you were hun and to think you'z was out fishing! Now who'd a thought!

Some great fish there Joey.. and glad to see you left a few for Paul.

Now go pull out an extra winter blanket... gotta feeling you'll be looking for one in a wee while...

Nice report Joey. Our core body temp is something that we should all be aware of. I spent a day in my floattube with just shorts in the heat of August with water temps in the low 80's. It still gave me a pretty serious case of hypothermia. If the shore guys were kicking butt I wish I would've went down.

Edited by Musky or Specks

I've been waiting to hear how you guys made out Joey and it's good to hear the trip went well again this year despite the sunstroke.

Some nice fish in the boat as usual for the pair of youz !! :Gonefishing:

Hope your feelin better soon.

Excellent report, pics, and fish!!! :thumbsup_anim:

I feel for ya on the sunstroke, I get heat exhaustion a couple times a year down here and it aint no fun! :angry:

Ya gotta acclimate yourself slowly after being cooped upand wrapped up all winter... yer not from Alabanana yanno! ;)

Take a little Codine if you can, it will help.

Great report Joey! If I remember correctly, last year was pretty cold as well!

Sorry to hear about the sunstroke, but I'm sure it was all worth it. Always great to see your reports...thanks for taking the time to post them for us to read!

Thanks everyone. It was a nice relaxing trip this time, not rushed into a weekend like usual. I'm still a bit woozy this morning, but feeling quite a bit better. Might even be able to keep a coffee down now :thumbsup_anim:

Probably gonna get some yard work done. Now where's my floppy hat :lol:

Joey

Great report and pics Joey! :thumbsup_anim: Good to here that you're on the mend as well. I got myself a Tilley a couple of years ago. I probably don't wear it as much as I should but I know that it's saved my butt a few times. Money well spent I'd say if I could just remember to bring it more often. I know that I don't think of it in the cooler temps but this has been a good reminder to do so. ;)

Nice shootin', Joanne. Nice to see some pics of you and Paul doing what you do best on the lower N.

I was sorry to hear about the heatstroke / sunstroke. I've had that too and you really feel like crap. Like my hat?