A WELL KEPT SECRET

Jen

When you take the bull by the horns sometimes it works out rather well.

Discovering this wonderful world of fishing and hunting has been that kind of challenge for me.

Predominately a male world finding ones place is often difficult. There are a few people you encounter along the way that grin, nod and then silently chuckle as they walk away... women + fishing and hunting... just don't mesh... The reason for this thought is still escaping me...What has not escaped me is the sheer beauty in what I have been missing all these years.

The sounds I never heard ( birds everywhere - ducks, geese, black birds, crows...the hum of wings as they fly overhead. Fish breaking the surface of still water or waves crashing against shore)

The sunrises and sunsets I have never noticed ( dew rising off of the grass in the early morning hours or coating it as dark quickly approaches)

The smell of the trees, forests, lakes... not to mention the smell of a goose still warm after you have dropped it from the sky. ( I had never even considered that a bird would smell like something)

No wonder one yearns to fish or hunt. It isn't about the catch or the kill, it isn't about putting food on the table or in the freezer, it isn't about the competition...what I have discovered atleast for me is- it is about finding peace in yourself, understanding the world around you, and appreciating what is in your own backyard.

It takes a great deal of effort to slow down in life long enough to actually see the beauty that is all around us.

Pictures can not describe adequately what one has felt and learned from an experience however they allow you to share a little of what was. (some may find them too graphic and may not want to continue reading this post) I wish I could find the words to explain what I feel inside. The closest I can come to the perfect words would be AMAZEMENT, AWE and RESPECT for what I didn't used to see and now am trying to understand.

Yesterday began with the alarm going off at 5:00am. I had decided to go deer hunting ( in a tree stand with a cross bow). It wasn't long before I woke enough to realize it was pouring down rain which means I had an excuse to bail on myself. So back to sleep. When I woke hours later I kicked myself for not at least trying. My goal for the day would be to make an effort and hunt... looks like convincing someone to go duck / goose hunting would have to be my next endeavor.

I have chosen a mentor to learn from in regards to hunting. Reading all the books, learning all you can from talking to others is definitely not enough to teach you how to hunt. There are so many things books won't teach you. Steve aka Fishmaster was willing to teach me what I needed to know by tagging along while he hunts.

Farmer relations come first and it is one of the things you can not learn about in books. You need to find a place to hunt before you can actually hunt. Thats your first step. Pay attention to where the animals are and then get permission to hunt them there. All of this is extremely time consuming but well worth the effort.

A thanks to all the farmers out there that allow hunters access to their land... and this is where my story begins.

Steve and I drove over to talk to a farmer about hunting his property, this was around 3:45pm last evening. Once permission was granted we went to get our hunting gear ready.

Hunting jacket and pants, (thankfully for me they are of the waterproof variety as it was pouring rain, we won't even mention the mud) boots, steel shot, gun, licenses and decoys....packed and to the edge of the field by 5:10.

A slow walk in and we are set up by 5:35pm... This is when we are able to finally start to slow our breathing and heart rate. Our bodies acclimatize to our surroundings and we are able to hear things I didn't even know were there moments before.

We are sitting at a small pond in the middle of a freshly cut corn field, 500 yards from a hardwood bush and probably a mile in from the road. There is a light rain falling as Steve starts calling in the ducks flying overhead. "SHH don't move, keep your head down"... moments later we hear their chatter as they circle, the whoosh of their wings as they drop to come in, and then Steve whispers the word "NOW".

Pulling up my gun I fire! Steve is shooting to the left, I have right...(all of this decided before we even reach the pond on our walk out) backs to one another, 3 rounds each... I drop one bird on the first shot, missed on the second and took two on the third... The problem with doing that is watching where your birds fall. I suppose that is training and time as I could only keep my eyes on one. Steve took two over the water on his first shot then another on his second shot missed on his third, quickly loaded one more shell in his gun and dropped the fourth and last duck from the sky over the field beside the pond. There where geese coming in... we still have not collected the ducks that fell and we are reloading. Drop to one knee and again wait... they are close, I can hear them... wings cocked to land they change their minds... maybe the ducks floating in the pond have spooked them and they take off. Three shots and very slowly one of the very graceful geese drops gradually from the sky. The thing is, he has done this two fields and a very deep ditch away from where we are. Time for a hike... ( at this point in time I have only shot birds out of the sky...never had to go after one that was injured... a little instruction on what to do from Steve and I was off.)

When I got to the ditch I realized it was fenced and much deeper than I had originally anticipated... found an opening, managed to transverse it with my gun and came up on the other side. This field has winter wheat planted in it, about 4 inches high so I can easily see the goose looking at me 400yards away... It is injured and can not fly but it can run. I am sure what followed would have been extremely comical to anyone watching. Me chasing a goose around a field... I missed on the first and second shots and finished it on the third, I could hear Steve giggling, but head shots on a small moving (running) bird are not easy, this being the first time I have ever had to shoot something that was looking at me made it even more difficult. That was a thought filled experience all in itself.

Once I was back to the pond with the goose we had 4 Mallard Drakes, 1 Mallard Hen, 1 Black Duck, 1 Goose and one bird not accounted for.

DSC03375.jpg

As the sun began to set we saw several other flocks coming in to take a look but none landed. The remainder of the evening was spent in quiet thought waiting for what may or may not come next.

At sunset we collected our decoys, put our ducks on the carrier and headed back to the truck.

There was still lots to be done.

DSC03386.jpg

A quick dinner, cup of very strong coffee and it was time to clean our birds.

Started with plucking mine... hmmm it wasn't as easy as I had thought it would be... but I preservered... I wanted at least one duck that looked like the ones you see in the grocery store... (creature of habit and all ) The rest we skinned... gutted, washed and washed more... but I learned a lot... As this time I took the time to look at how a duck works inside... Lungs, heart, quacker...now that is one amazing little bone.

DSC03390.jpg

DSC03392.jpg

All said and done, I now have the confidence, knowledge, and experience to be able to go duck/goose hunting all on my own. A huge thanks to Steve aka Fishmaster for having the patience and taking the time to teach me all that could not be learned in books.

Just a note here... Steve took Zoe out to that field/pond this morning in search of the duck we could not find before dark last night - She quickly found and retrieved it... what an advantage it is having a dog that is trained to hunt.

Cheers

Jen

Wow Jen....what a fantastic report.

The whole introduction....when bly and I are out fishing, especially at night there are times when it's exactly how you described it....but I could have never come up with the words that you did.

Bly gets her share of "You fish?" looks as well, but get her talking about it and people soon realize that she is very knowledgeable about fishing. I applaud you in your adventures...both fishing and hunting. I think it's great when anyone...male or female can make that connection with their surroundings.

As far as an outdoorsperson is concerned, you have my respect....you found something you like to do and you've worked very hard for the results you've had. You've managed to involve your family in your quest and make a few new friends at the same time. What more can someone ever want in life?

Great report and pics...

Congrats!

What a great Report !!!

Not sure what you do for a living, but may I suggest contacting some outdoors magazines or other media to maybe offer hunting and fishing articles from the female perspective ? Your report would do well in any magazine I've ever read.

My girlfriend enjoys reading all my fishing magazines but always comments that there is very little to offer from a Womans point of view. I'll make sure she sees your post.

Well done, and congrats.

Hookset.

That is truly awesome what you have done and learned over this period of time. Many just don't understand why we all hunt and fish. I provide a lot of meat for my family because I hunt and fish. I was lucky enough to be brought up around it, and when I was 15 the first thing I did was get my hunting licence and joined my dad and brother in the field.

I wouldn't have it any other way, I love to hunt and fish and will NEVER stop.

Great report Jen and I look forward to seeing you with a deer soon, get out this weekend the chase is on this weekend.

Jay

Geez, thought I died and went to heaven. It's how I feel about hunting and fishing, but don't think I'd ever be able to put it to words like you did. And to think it was coming from a woman is just awesome. Most men don't even seem to get it. Great report and good for you. Welcome to the beautiful outdoors.

No wonder one yearns to fish or hunt. It isn't about the catch or the kill, it isn't about putting food on the table or in the freezer, it isn't about the competition...what I have discovered atleast for me is- it is about finding peace in yourself, understanding the world around you, and appreciating what is in your own backyard

Great report Jen, those words pretty much sum it up.

Congrats too on the successful hunt.

Wow Jen...that was an awesome report. You are living quite the life...looking forward to many more of your reports...I got a chuckle visioning you trying to catch that bird. :o)

I can relate entirely of your description regarding being in the great outdoors...I have to say that it really doesn't matter to me if I do get fish...I just feel wonderful by the water...everything else is forgotten. Congrats.

Jen . . . . . you're in the wrong business . . . . your calling is WRITING!! Not only can you hunt & fish with the best of them, (not to mention, OUTFISH & OUTHUNT 'EM TOO) but you can put those adventures into words, and TOTALLY captivate your audience, sitting on the edge of their chairs, but in their minds & imaginations, they're right there with you. Although I gave up hunting years ago because I don't have the heart to shoot a cute l'il duckie, or a deer any more . . . . but I sure am gonna be right at the front of the line at the table, dinner plate in hand, when that cute l'il duckie or deer is being served up! I've actually given some thought to getting a crossbow, but, I'm just not a hunter any more . . . . I'd be wasting my money! When you publish your first book, I'll be right there at the front of the line at Chapters to get a copy . . . just let me know when it hits the stores!

Bernducks.jpg

Let me tell you this women does not only hunt and fish ...She is the best help I have had out in the feild and at home preparing the game for the freezer ...She is always trying to help set up ; even carrying ducks decoys, guns, whatever she can fill her arms with...I have hunted with lots of people over the years and some just don't get that all this hunting gear doesn't walk it self out to the feild ...It has been my pleasure teaching Jen how to hunt. Showing her how to shoot, and now kill ...As for watching a lady chase a goose down around a field, yes I chuckled loud enough that she heard me 2 fields over lol....I look foward to hunting with Jen for many years to come! There is nothing better then having someone in your life that enjoys all the things that you have grown up with and enjoy... I am sure it won't be long until I get a cell phone call from Jen saying " I have a deer down, now what?" ...

PS: Jen - Zoe found the duck you lost beside the pond tucked tight in the grass ...

Zoe retrieves Jen's lost live duck from the night before

zoe1.jpg

zoe2.jpg

zoe3.jpg

zoe4.jpg

Now thats a good dog! In the truck before you even get back ..guess she thought she was going hunting to the next spot! Wrong! lol

zoe4-1.jpg

Edited by Fishmaster

Jen, please consider carefully getting published. Contact Justin Hoffman, I am sure he would be happy to help you make some connections in the publishing world.

Agreed. That was a report that I could of just as easy read in my latest issue of "Field & Stream".

What a great report....thanks so much!

dk

Thanks so much everyone for all your comments... I took them to heart and sent off a couple of letters... again thank you for the encouragement and advice... but mostly for all your acceptance and wonderful inspiration!