Oh Boy o boy o boy o boy!! (graphic pics)

TJQ

Shortly..... wait for it ... wait for it...

Soon Ill be off to Fort Frances with some of my best buds in the world.. (a few any way) guys that understand tolerate me ... for some of the best deer hunting moose shooting monster pike pickeral fishing duck hunting sauna taking fire burning times Ill ever have.

but heres my dillemma.... lol...

I usually use a 180 grain bullet.. but was thinking about going down to a 150... however since we have a bull moose tag (shagariffic!!) I was thinking a 220 grain might be good to have around so then I'm thinking my 180 grain silvertip (in case of werewolves) would probably suffice since it is my standard ammo anyway and my gun is dead on with that size.... Now I used to use a 220 grain silvertip when they made them.... but it leaves a rather large hole on the other side of any deer I get... so my buddy made me stop using them.. but what if we see's our moose???

Heres some picks from past years.... just to get me going!!

The Camp...

2005hunt5.jpg

The morning..

2006hunt1v.jpg

The Prize!! (Hey Cliff... like my lucky tiara??)

2006hunt1b.jpg

The Boys!!

2006hunt1a.jpg

cooler.jpg

The Meal.

2006meat5.jpg

Time to do it all again!!!!

YEE HAA!!! Thank Jesus for rednecks!!

I think you should use the 180 grain silvertip. Personally, I use 1.5v coppertops. My only problem is that my ammo dies faster than my prey.

I'm really looking forward to the report. Just be safe out there Bud.

DANG! Duelling banjos is starting up in my head again....

Haven't hunted since I was a kid and never did hunt for moose so I won't comment on the bullets. although I think the silver tip is a good idea (werewolves and all). Have a great time, shoot lots and be safe! Look forward to the report :) Oh and the tiara is lovely lol

Accuracy counts more than grains, in my books. A 180 grain will still stop a moose in it's tracks. Better than a 220 grain planted in the wrong killing zone. (just my opinion).

Have a great trip TJ, looking forward to the trip yet???

150 is more than enough for any size moose. But get a decent bullet. Nosler partition bullet or the Barnes brass deals hold together great and will punch through both shoulders without a huge hole. Now the standard manufacturers are playing catchup on loading thess better bullets into their own cases. The manufacturers like Remington and Federal and Winchester have also improved their bullets so they hold together better. Ya get what you pay for and with the internet you can find out what hunters say and what the gun experts say about various commercial rounds.

Me, I've dropped a few moose with the Noslers in handloaded cases of different calibres and have done some tests shooting everything from gel blocks to .... nevermind and have never been disappointed in their performance. Never shot the Barnes but have heard nothing but good about them from gun gurus.

Have a safe hunt 'Killer'. LOL!!!

I think cicso is correct.A well place 150 grain bullet will take out whatever you want.What caliber are you using?I use a .270 150 grain federal and have had great results but I have not shot a moose with one.A few cows and 1 horse but no mooses.You would think the farmers around here would put bells or saddles on their farm animals so they wouldn't be mis identified by hunters.

Joe

I think if you use a gun you take all the sport out of it. Use a rope and a hockey stick on them moose. Toss a good lasso and whack him with the stick right across the shins. Pull his sweater over his head and beat him stupid. Dinner in no time! Now thats hunting!

Anything above 150 will be fine. I shoot 7mm mag and have both 150 and 170. If you're gun is sighted in and set up on the 180 then stick with it. A 220 grain will drop significantly out past 200 yrds over the 180.

Hey T.J. If you see a bear in the woods make sure it is not a mirror before you shoot. Have a safe and fun time in camp bud.

Art

Oh you are a funny dude... "careful" is my middle name LOL..

Good luck out there TJ... I know I'd shoot what I am most comfortable shooting and what the guns sighted in for... The placement is of course what counts the most and 150 grains is enough for the moose, Good luck with killing the trophy and I'll be waiting on a report

I was reading on another site and some how this thread got throwin into it about how would this thread be appropriate if it was asians showing pictures like this. Check out Ontario Out Of Doors under the thread of Its not asians its their practices, The guy who is trying to make a point keeps getting called a hick, so I guess thats what the referance to this thread must be,lol