A bit too close for comfort

lew

Hi guys, I'm up on the West Arm of Nippissing for a couple weeks on an annual trip. I don't fish any more but enjoy hiking around the area and walk 4 km every morning at sunrise.

Seeing lots of bear, deer and moose tracks but today I got a bit too up close and personal with some local critters. I was walking down a dirt road when something moved just to my right and a little bear cub popped out from behind a tree and then his little brother showed up too. I figured Momma must be close by and sure enough she came out in front of me too and gave me a nasty stare I won't soon forget.

We've got bears around my place in the Kawarthas and see them the odd time but I've never been face to face with a pi$$ed off Momma bear and her kids before.

Sure is nice seeing the critters up close in their natural setting but 100' might be just a tad closer than I want the next time LOL

Edited by lew

Summer of 1980 working at Kiosk Ranger camp in Algonquin Park. We had a spring a couple of miles down a dirt road from our camp so a bunch of us would jog down there regularly just to get a drink of that perfect water. One trip we come around a bend in the road just as a little cub is crossing maybe 60-70 feet in front of us. So we stopped jogging...and I'm glad we did because a few seconds later momma bear came out of the ditch and crossed the road as well. Half way across the gravel road she paused... just for a second...and gave us a good sideways glance that we all understood meant we where too close and there would be consequences if this happened again !!!

Thx for sharing Lew. It reminded me of that momma bear stare we got many moons ago.

Enjoy the rest of your vacation up there.

You are one member, I would never say too, no pic, no believe Lew, but a go pro attached to yer chest, and one on yer back side, running, or walking fast away from said mama bear, would of been classic.

Oh I believe ya pal.

Had this happen once In Algonquin park. Driving the stretch and seen a cub. It was wow. Get out and take some pic,s. Then here comes mama. Back in the car quick, and off I went. Never mess with mama,s.

Good thing momma could see her cub Lew! Glad your ok!

About 5-6 years ago I was shore fishing and to my east was very tall grass. I suspect her cubs we're in there.

When momma showed up on the north of me maybe 150 feet away, I thought nothing of it but to send my kids home through a trail around the rapids and tell Mom Im in trouble.

That bear charged me and stopped about 5-8 feet away, stood up and started smacking the ground.

This lasted maybe 30 seconds but it felt like hours.

Then she stood down and calmly walked into the long grass

My heart rate never calmed down for a good 5 hours and I'll never forget it!

I've had hundreds of encounters with black bears and they honestly never bothered me one bit

But that experience, im def alot more cautious now

Morning boys, I've posted this picture before but it's one I like and is a big ole bear that was sleeping in my back yard when I came out on the deck early one morning a couple years ago.

I always keep a camera by the back door just for chances like this.

318a5ba3-51a1-4a7e-a1e7-2d4a2d019f74.jpg

Anyhoo, I'm just heading out now for my morning jaunt and hopefully don't come face to face with Momma & the kids again

black bears get a bad rep, they want less to do with you than you with them.

Grizzlies though? to hell with that, my cousin's best friend got his leg eaten by one...they are terrifying.

glad everything went smoothly lew, enjoy

Edited by AKRISONER

Grizzlies though? to hell with that, my cousin's best friend got his leg eaten by one...they are terrifying.

Yep, unless it's injured or diseased they are little worry

And the whole in between momma and Cubs thing too

Grizzlies are just misunderstood!!!

There are some really fine bears on both sides!!! :tease: :tease: :tease: :tease:

I've had many run in's with grizzlies over the years and have yet to be eaten.

Not that the next one might eat me though.

in 2009 I came face to face with a 1,000# sow at a distance of 3 yards!!! She didn't eat me. :D

Now Polar Bears, you gotta watch out fer them buggers!!!!

They WANT to Eat YOU!!!! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Grizzlies are just misunderstood!!!

There are some really fine bears on both sides!!! :tease: :tease: :tease: :tease:

I've had many run in's with grizzlies over the years and have yet to be eaten.

Not that the next one might eat me though.

in 2009 I came face to face with a 1,000# sow at a distance of 3 yards!!! She didn't eat me. :D

Now Polar Bears, you gotta watch out fer them buggers!!!!

They WANT to Eat YOU!!!! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Polar bears have to eat you it is a short season and every calorie counts.

Art