Country living. Time to Tap Out.

It's been 17 years since we moved out to the country, Lake Erie lakeshore full time. I had never spent more than a week in rural settings. My wife grew up on a small fruit farm in Niagara-on-the-Lake. To me a long commute to work was 15 minutes in traffic. Now it's more than 15 minutes to get the mail. Being closer to 65 than 60 I just can't keep up with all the odd jobs that come with country living, just a fact. At 5AM this morning I heard the shallow well pump banging around and got out of bed and my feet met an inch of freezing water. A compression fitting for the in line heat tracer popped off and the entire water system for this shack filled the bedroom. Hardwood is lifting, all the clothes and stuff in the walk in closet are soaking wet and I had to put the line back together where only 1 person fits and it's a 3 hand job. T.L. had to take the day off work, she was going to anyway as she has the flu to boot. I figure there may be thousands of $$'s worth of flooring, millwork, clothes and furniture be ruined. I hate compression fittings, it could happen again, tomorrow if it happened today. I think I am going to smear it in JB Weld, hydraulic cement and a pound of 2 part Epoxy, yes I'm embellishing but I can't leave it like that.

The insurance guy is on his way out.

We are Tapping Out. Time to get back to civilization. The lake and countryside will still be here, that's what Sunday drives are for. I know we will miss it but not enough not to move. Besides that downsizing in price not size will allow my wife to retire early. She isn't going to miss the 1 hour or more commute 1 way in the winter. Just too much at my age stressing over her drive, doesn't bother her though, country girls are a tough breed they are.]. I can't imagine going to the sink and open the tap and water comes out, each and every time. If we move at least a 2 hour drive from Toronto we can buy a home and put a huge amount of money (too us) in the bank. Hey, then we can buy a place in the country too!!! In Costa Rica maybe. I'm second guessing selling the places down south now.

Sorry for the rant, felt great.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Thanks for the votes of confidence guys. Now I have to go through the 7 pages of "to do's" that I should have been doing for the last 5 years. Sometimes you just have to call the "guy" to do it right and timely. That is if we want to get top price. We could have it all done by September, they do it every episode of those TV shows in less than an hour. I have to remind my loved one they don't show you the 15 workers off camera. Fall isn't the best time to sell lakefront property in my experience but real estate is changing so fast. A place that we actually walked through 3 winters ago in Cayuga but we passed on because it wasn't the right place, had a pool and a big hill to cut grass. It sold after being on the market for less than 2 days this past weekend. It listed for 150K more now than 3 years back, was $249,000 listed for $399,000.00 and they may have gotten more. That's a 60% increase in 3 years, actually less than 3 yrs, Wowza. I don't think our place has gone up as much in percentage, not sure. Lots to do including finding out what we can get now without all the little spruce ups that may be a waste of time. I have experience in buying and selling and have done well so far. I am afraid if I do everything on the list my wife will want to stay. She can if she so desires, we can visit on weekends so I can take her boat out.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

We wanted to move this year but it isn't looking good for that.. A place we could afford 2 years ago when it was for sale is back on the market for 400 grand more. I will always regret not buying that one.. 50 acres and a beautiful house.. Oh well, you should do well on the sale.. Simcoe has some nice places for a decent price...along with Waterford, Caledonia etc...

We wanted to move this year but it isn't looking good for that.. A place we could afford 2 years ago when it was for sale is back on the market for 400 grand more. I will always regret not buying that one.. 50 acres and a beautiful house.. Oh well, you should do well on the sale.. Simcoe has some nice places for a decent price...along with Waterford, Caledonia etc...

I have many regrets over properties I shoulda, woulda. Hind sight is 20/20 Pics. Keeping up with local real estate has always been a hobby and now it's my wifes hobby too for the last 3 years. It tells me the best values right now are around us are Simcoe, Waterford and even Dunnville. Dunnville was not so long ago the Crack capital of southern Ontario, it has really cleaned up. One of those shoulda's was a beautiful fully reno'd place right with an unobstructed view across from the river and the launch above the dam 2 years ago. It is 250K more now. People have caught onto Dunnville, a nice place doesn't last a week on the market. I know where you are now Pics and know all to well where you work. Dunnville isn't much further than you are now. Check it out. And you are near some great fishing on the river and very close to the lake. Some very good value there especially with acreage. Check out Dunnville. We are looking there at a Condo complex actually. Then I can keep the boat at Fishmasters for cheap. Far better real estate values than Caledonia. I have always loved Waterford. A few guys I know that worked at the lake live there. 1 of them took a job at Hilton Works and drove it every day. It wasn't that bad a drive if you know the short cuts.

The prices aren't going down.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Definitely sounds like a wise move!

And as stated Caledonia hasn't slowed down it's market... I've been keeping an eye on it and comparing apples to apples I'd say my house has appreciated at least 50k already based on improvements I've done here along with the market

glad I bought here in 83 @ 55 grand for a corner lot with a small bungalow, today it's a nice retirement home , 1 block walking distance to the lake and marinas. I don't know how you kids do it today in this crazy market, there was a downward correction in market value around '90, one neighbour handed their keys back to the bank for a loss after he was laid off , I see it happening again if interest rates rise any. Think it was around '79 they hit 18% for a five year fixed :o

Edit : amazingly , the neighbours either side and over the back fence are the same people that were here in 83, all good people :clapping:

Edited by dave524

My parents made the move from the city and moved north. Both retired early and are enjoying the northern life. Lakes all around them,gun club to keep my pop busy, wild life that visits them each morning. Mudder gives them all names. Down side with that is, there no hunting in the back yard. LOL

All the best on your next lifes adventures.

81' the real estate market bubble burst and guys I knew that had full time work were tossing the keys on the table and leaving when interest rates hit 18%. My 30 something year old niece just took possession of her very first place Monday with her fiance. Neither hasn't even had her own apartments before, right from Mom's to the first home. They paid close to 300K for a fixer upper, and I mean a fixer upper in a working class neighbourhood in St. Kitts. They saved like maniacs and with the help of both sets of Grand Parents, my brother and sis in law can't help, they came up with 30 grand down. That leaves a 260K mortgage they are looking forward to for the rest of their lives. I couldn't get to sleep with a 50 grand mortgage on a 100 grand house in 85' that was a brand new build. Between the 2 of them they pull in a bit above $100,000.00 a year. In 85' my former wife and I were making around 50. We were much better off than them if you do the math. These Gen Xers sure get a wake up call between the ages of 25 and 30. I hired her for a summer 12 years ago and couldn't get her to sweep a floor, she doesn't do floors she said, I'm a receptionist. My business partner wasn't such a pushover went I took a week off, she quit in defiance. She thought it was included in her employment that Uncle Johnny pick her up and drive her to work everyday, Uncle Dominic didn't think so. Then her mother begged us to take her back, floors and windows included. Do I digress much?

I always say I was born at the right time. You took a bus and got off the wrong stop, could walk into a plant or business and got a job for 35 years, a pension and benefits. She has already worked for 3 different companies since she got her degree and will work for 10 more at least before she is 55. I sure wish I was 30, or had the health and body when I was 30 but not 30 in 2017.

OFF TOPIC John,

but Where I've been for 18+years have turned to hiring kids and that is one thing I agreee with. BUT Today's kids want to sit and text. I see it all around me, and the clients pay the bills because they fill their time sheet full everyday! This is crazy way to learn!

I have four kids and all took my ethics when it came to work and are now feeling the payment deal that I had once. They make a great income it hopefully this doesn't burst.

Come to Woddy learn the lingo and drink espresso.

I had a home sell down the street from me 3bdrm bungalow one bedroom was smaller than my closet (1999) they paid 1.2 mil. Next thing you know the place was gutted where do they get the funds for this stuff?

81' the real estate market bubble burst and guys I knew that had full time work were tossing the keys on the table and leaving when interest rates hit 18%. My 30 something year old niece just took possession of her very first place Monday with her fiance. Neither hasn't even had her own apartments before, right from Mom's to the first home. They paid close to 300K for a fixer upper, and I mean a fixer upper in a working class neighbourhood in St. Kitts. They saved like maniacs and with the help of both sets of Grand Parents, my brother and sis in law can't help, they came up with 30 grand down. That leaves a 260K mortgage they are looking forward to for the rest of their lives. I couldn't get to sleep with a 50 grand mortgage on a 100 grand house in 85' that was a brand new build. Between the 2 of them they pull in a bit above $100,000.00 a year. In 85' my former wife and I were making around 50. We were much better off than them if you do the math. These Gen Xers sure get a wake up call between the ages of 25 and 30. I hired her for a summer 12 years ago and couldn't get her to sweep a floor, she doesn't do floors she said, I'm a receptionist. My business partner wasn't such a pushover went I took a week off, she quit in defiance. She thought it was included in her employment that Uncle Johnny pick her up and drive her to work everyday, Uncle Dominic didn't think so. Then her mother begged us to take her back, floors and windows included. Do I digress much?

I always say I was born at the right time. You took a bus and got off the wrong stop, could walk into a plant or business and got a job for 35 years, a pension and benefits. She has already worked for 3 different companies since she got her degree and will work for 10 more at least before she is 55. I sure wish I was 30, or had the health and body when I was 30 but not 30 in 2017.

my boss got caught in that interest rate spike, he was making $1000 a month, had just bought a farm in nestleton, rates went up, he now had a $1600/month mortgage payment.went and chopped trees after work and sold the wood to make up the difference

its a scarey market right now, real estate agents are saying how people are walking away losing a $12000 deposit because the selling price is much high than the banks say the house is worth

my boss got caught in that interest rate spike, he was making $1000 a month, had just bought a farm in nestleton, rates went up, he now had a $1600/month mortgage payment.went and chopped trees after work and sold the wood to make up the difference

its a scarey market right now, real estate agents are saying how people are walking away losing a $12000 deposit because the selling price is much high than the banks say the house is worth

Yeah it sure is scary here in Durham now, if you are not already in the market. A young newly married co-worker looking for his first home has had offers in on 16 properties and just keeps getting overbid. My son who is an FA..financial advisor...at the bank has a client who bought a house for $660,000 last November..2016...and just listed it for 1.1 million and has multiple offers on it.

Check out the Kawartha's OI. Small towns with everything you will need but the prices are much less then the GTA.

Check out the Kawartha's OI. Small towns with everything you will need but the prices are much less then the GTA.

The raised bungalow across the St from me is a corner lot and is about 1100 SQF or so with a garage and listed at $349,999 and sold in days probably for more than asking. The North end of town taxes are about $650 quarterly if looking out this way.

The market really isn't that scary, the idiots paying 150-200k over ask in the winter are now having to buck up and close on those houses. I know of 3 places that went for absurd amounts of $$$ and the buyers backed out. So it's either release them from their contract and keep the deposit, or sue them. It's a crappy situation for the sellers, but people must have known there was no way that was sustainable. Houses are still going for over ask, but there are a lot more prices corrections these last few weeks (gf is a realtor, I have heard some interesting phone calls, lol!) I doubt we'll see 18% interest rates like we did in the 80s anytime soon. I'm glad when we bought when we did, our house has almost doubled since Sept '15.

My son is going to start at Brock in St. Catharines this September. The rent prices for a one bedroom or bachelor apartment are about $700-$900 month. I'm now seriously considering buying another house and just renting out one bedroom to subsidize the costs. Any thoughts? You can still buy a small home for <$300K.

My son is going to start at Brock in St. Catharines this September. The rent prices for a one bedroom or bachelor apartment are about $700-$900 month. I'm now seriously considering buying another house and just renting out one bedroom to subsidize the costs. Any thoughts? You can still buy a small home for <$300K.

In Yellowknife a room in someone's home rents for $700-$1000 a month!!!!

Don't ask how much an apartment is.

when i moved out of my student housing ($600/month for a room in a house) my 1 bedroom apartment was $750/month plus parking, now i see 1 bedroom places going for up to $1400/month

student house rentals around durham college are something like $2000-$3000 for the whole house