Used car hunt. NF

captpierre

Time to get the wifey a new car.

Doesn't drive much. 5-10k km/yr.

Want a reliable AWD taller vehicle that's easier to get in and out of. Not too big.

Toyota dealer has a RAV4 2013, 63K km.

I'm a good negotiator. Best price is $22K. $30k new.

Only 1 used RAV4 on lot. They have a hard time keeping them in stock. Their best selling vehicle- New and used.

Found out lots of used cars shipped to US thanks to the dollar. They are scarce here.

That's crazy for a 4 yr old small SUV.

Test drove a new Subaru Crosstrek.

Seems good and well rated.

They say best AWD system.

Can get new base model with heated seats

(a must for Boss) for $26.5k. For $4.5k a new car over the Rav4.

Anybody have any knowledge on them?

Thanks

Peter

Edited by captpierre

Don't know about the Crosstrek (To new for me and my shop); but if Subaru hasn't dropped the ball on this model, its likely a good vehicle?

I work on a lot of the CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency) vehicles and they have a fleet of Outbacks. These things have been all but bullet proof; with the regular maintenance; clean oil and a timing belts at the proper intervals.

Other customers that have Subaru's are running an easy 500K Klms on these things and not a hint of engine issues.

Yes they like their brakes and some of the steering component; but what vehicle doesn't?

Dan.

What 4 cylinder, high compression, aluminum cylinder head engine doesn't have the potential of blowing a head gasket? Overwork it, get it hot a few times and you're asking for it. Subaru has a strong little motor that can take a bit of a beating; but you can beat anything to death if you wanted too.

Dan.

I live in sault. My wife has a little car and puts snow tires on in winter She says they work just fine. At your 5 to 10 k a year I would think about the extra maintenance cost gas all that versus real value

We have had about 350 cm this year. No issues.

All the honda toyota hyundai subbys are decent enough cars the rav4 really holds it value so expect to pay top dollar.

Mazda and ford small suv for lack of being.nice are junk.

Jeeps ok the newest little cherokee has several issues eith electronics and.transmissions.

The.jeep patriot ok have weak suspensions

Dodge journey decent some issues with rear suspension components

5k a year...get a FWD and a good set of snows....I have several pre owned 2016 Jeep Cherokee`s in stock FWD 4 cyl. and 6 cly.

real nice 2016 Cherokee 2.4 Limited...fully loaded...leather,navi, remote start, safety tech pkg, park sense rear park assist, blind spot and cross path detection,heated steering wheel,trailer tow package, 22,000 kms`s....24,856.00 PM me if your interested....

How would she like a nice White 2008 AWD / selectable 4 wheel drive x 4 door Chevy Trailblazer?? Zero rust, runs great, good tires, heated leather seats, left and right temp control, recent front hub bearing replacement and tie rod ends, etc.. $8500 cash as soon as Leah's Challenger AWD comes in... :dunno::whistling::canadian:

Edited by irishfield

Will be moving to Kawarthas in the future. Lots of snow. FWD would do but AWD preferred for safety me thinks.

Lived in the Kawarthas for 16 years now, I have a Nissan Rogue FWD, wife has a Toyota Matrix FWD, a good set of snow tires on both and we've never had any trouble. As for Subaru, had a 1998, sold it in 2013 that thing was incredible, like Dan said keep up with your regular maint.

Charger has toooo many doors to be a "charger"!

Gord... it hasn't been announced officially, but you do know that you can order Challenger GT AWD's finally... possibly due to my constant bugging. They have been on dealer lots in the USA for months now and able to build in the US market, but not us despite the fact they're built in Brampton! You still can't "build" a car on the Dodge.ca website.. but you can at your desk! Leah's was "built" and ordered on Wednesday.. waiting for a VIN and delivery date of her Slim Green machine !

Edited by irishfield

I haven't even used a broom here to sweep snow off the steps this winter. That's because both vehicles were outfitted with new snow tires this past fall.

I have never owned " all wheel drive". Is it that much better than front wheel drive? The Silverado is a 4X4 and without it 3 winters ago we would be house bound many times until we could get our private laneway plowed out. When snow is deep road clearance is a determining factor, I have had to pull out my neighbour that has all wheel drive more than a few times to the county road when the snow was above his front under carriage on our laneway. I have plowed through snow in 4 low that was well above the bottom of the doors, no way that is happening in all wheel drive. I guess what I'm saying is if you don't want to get stuck get a real deal 4X4.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Charger has toooo many doors to be a "charger"!

Gord... it hasn't been announced officially, but you do know that you can order Challenger GT AWD's finally... possibly due to my constant bugging. They have been on dealer lots in the USA for months now and able to build in the US market, but not us despite the fact they're built in Brampton! You still can't "build" a car on the Dodge.ca website.. but you can at your desk! Leah's was "built" and ordered on Wednesday.. waiting for a VIN and delivery date of her Slim Green machine !

You know what it totally slipped my mind that you were interested in the AWD Challenger....I have sold 3 Chargers and a Challenger in the last few days they are very popular....I hope you got employee pricing!

I can tell you this........ we have a 2004 FWD Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix) with snow tires and it has been stuck in the driveway twice this year. I also have a 2003 Toyota Rav4 also with snow tires and so far, it goes through anything. We live in a snow belt and any amount of wheels driving with good tires won't help you if the car is bottomed out on snow! What you need is ground clearance as well and the Rav4 certainly beats the FWD in that department.. My next vehicle will be AWD for sure.

re: fwd/awd. it really depends where you live and where you need to drive

we're just west of orangeville, and wife does homecare in the area -- many of her clients are rural, on often unplowed side roads/concessions not to mention their driveways -- if she can't get in, they don't get seen -- there's days when there's no way she's getting into see them in a fwd so she gets the jeep. if she could stick to hwy 9 and be in town, a fwd would likely be fine 99% of the time.