What is it with young people today? NF

Big Cliff

^ mine too....and i did them all. Im very greatful for it too because it led me to a lot of opportunities and lots of experience in all sorts of projects.

S.

You got it.

I have done everything from house wiring and plumbing, framing, furniture design and build, to HVAC, auto mechanicing, audio/video, car and boat electronics.

I don't think there is anything technical I won't give a go. ;)

We had the best shop classes anywhere @ my high school.

There was an electrical/electronics shop, wood shop, drafting, metal/machine/welding shop and a 4 bay auto shop.

It was totally kick donkey!!!! :good: :good:

Man I wish!

I did basic electrical, then I got to make a short film, then learned how to use a camera and develope photos

Oh and made a birdhouse too lol

sorry i think people misunderstood my comment about starting in the trades. They are great jobs and it is never too late to start one. The problem is that I dont know if i could manage the pay cut required in order to start out. Thats what makes it tough. Owning a house requires me to have steady good income coming in. Itd be very very tight for the first couple of years.

Still a consideration though if I can get things rolling along nicely enough I might take the plunge. You also need to have someone willing to take you on!

sorry i think people misunderstood my comment about starting in the trades. They are great jobs and it is never too late to start one. The problem is that I dont know if i could manage the pay cut required in order to start out. Thats what makes it tough. Owning a house requires me to have steady good income coming in. Itd be very very tight for the first couple of years.

Still a consideration though if I can get things rolling along nicely enough I might take the plunge. You also need to have someone willing to take you on!

Your previous post says nothing about having to take a pay cut in order to get into the trades but rather a huge put down on those who ended up in the trades.......which I really don't think is correct......however, I really don't care. Just setting the record straight.... :)

Your previous post says nothing about having to take a pay cut in order to get into the trades but rather a huge put down on those who ended up in the trades.......which I really don't think is correct......however, I really don't care. Just setting the record straight.... :)

i might be taking your comment wrong now...but in no way am i bashing on the trades, as anyone with their ticket easily makes way more money than me. Hence why i wish I went into them myself!

I still might if the cards work out right, but the 1st and second year as an apprentice would be rough, after that totally smooth sailing.

i might be taking your comment wrong now...but in no way am i bashing on the trades, as anyone with their ticket easily makes way more money than me. Hence why i wish I went into them myself!

I still might if the cards work out right, but the 1st and second year as an apprentice would be rough, after that totally smooth sailing.

We're good.......just showing what you posted.......as I said.....I really didn't care either way...... :)

Lotsa trades are high paying off the start. Like an electrition for example. You start working and attend school for 2 months after working a set amount of hours.

I work with like 20 apprentice electritians at the mine, and they make BUCKS!

MB, I know the mines are better for employment, but you have huge populations centres without gainful employment.

My father, after of yesterday, has been laid off for 8 to 10 weeks.

He makes <$20 / hour.

Has been a licensed industrial electrician for 30 years.

Figure that one out.

Not all trades are created equal regarding demand and the strength of the trades has been diminished by the reduction of the demand. Less manufacturing province wide has had a definite effect on the number of skilled tradesman required. Simple supply and demand. This has had a ripple effect beginning at company levels and all the way down to residential. With so many available electricians and plumbers, there is an increase in cash deals for home services. With interest rates so low and more people buying homes than ever, why are so many of the 2-10 people service businesses going out of business?

I was asked to speak to the apprenticeship classes at Mohawk College a few years ago about the value of trades and trades as a career option. I asked, "Would you like me to tell the truth?" I got a puzzled look in return so I continued. "Would you like me to explain how in the machining and die making industry, the majority of the jobs have been relocated offshore? That in many cases only prototype work, work that is expensive to ship, time sensitive or higher complexity is the work North Americans can compete at?" This hurts job prospects for new machinists. I had just finished "right sizing" a business from 96 employees to 17. Tell me again why I should go into that trade?

MB, I know the mines are better for employment, but you have huge populations centres without gainful employment.

He makes <$20 / hour.

Figure that one out.

Yeah man I feel for your pops(and others as well).

Ive been down that road

To OIs point thats why I wont buy a house. Just in case the mine here dies or im layed off I can move or work elsewhere.

To grimsby, aint that the truth.

Thats why I like the idea of heavy duty equipment operator. You really can work almost anywhere

And like I said previously, I believe EI does cover the 6 week course

And in most cases, its the easiest of high paying jobs at mine sites, solar fields etc

Edited by manitoubass2

He makes <$20 / hour. Figure that one out.

Tell him to apply at US Steel.. we always seem to need electricians.. He may have to go to the Lake Erie plant though .. thats where all the action is...

Edited by pics

He makes <$20 / hour. US Steel lake Erie was looking for electricians.. maybe the Hamilton plant as well... All we seem to get are guys who can't speak English..

Figure that one out.

You don't say.................LOL..........:)

This is silly.

If you are a legal immigrant and work hard, why is that anything to hate on?

if another citzen of canada takes my job because he works harder,or is more experienced than I, thats on me, not him.

I could barely keep up with 3 guys I worked with last year, they were from africa. Awesome guys! Still in touch with them today! Basically we challenged each other and both sides learned alot! There wasnt one day in the first two weeks where some jack called them the n word, and theyd just smile and laugh it off.

After everyone got to know them totally different story.

I miss workin with those guys but they are comin back on this project and I cant wait! Oh and african food is the bomb??

We had the best shop classes anywhere @ my high school.

There was an electrical/electronics shop, wood shop, drafting, metal/machine/welding shop and a 4 bay auto shop.

It was totally kick donkey!!!! :good: :good:

Pretty sure they don't have any of that anymore. Kids now a days are such a bubble wrap generation I doubt they allow students around sharp objects like scissors let alone something like a soddering iron.

Everyone is worried they are going to get sued.

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

This famous quote was from Socrates, a while back.

I was reading through this thread yesterday wondering why the group of young people I know is so different than the kids being described here. I have 2 kids who are both in their very early 20's now and I have been very lucky to spend a lot of time with them and their large group of friends through their sports and other social activities (like fishing). With very few exceptions, these kids are smart, respectful, and most have at least one job while many are juggling 2 or more. They are also much more responsible than the group of people I grew up with, we were lucky to survive our teen age years with some of the stunts we used pull. If they go out, they have DD's and if they have a party at someone's house they stay over; they are welcome at any of the homes including mine any time. Some of their gang are in university, some at community college and some have pursued trades or other careers but they all work hard for the most part. I'm sure there are lots of kids at the other end of the scale too but let's not toss them all under the bus, they have a tough row to hoe growing up too just like we did.

When I was done with this train of thought yesterday, I decided to read the news. That's when I found this story about the kids you guys are talking about:

http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/2016/04/26/police-arrest-two-teens-in-separate-domestic-disputes

Edited by G.mech

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

Not just the children that chatter during company, ever been to the stelco fishing club meeting? I felt bad for Italo when he was speaking there two years back.

It's because everyone gets a ribbon now and everyone is special. People don't discipline their children anymore, they encourage them to embrace who they are, regardless if they are monsters and jerks.

I knew 10 years ago when they started this it would lead to a generation of entitled idiots.

George Carlin put it best - If everyone is special. The word loses all meaning.

Edited by jeremy84

It's not all about the young people being in the wrong -- Who gave birth to them, raised them, and taught them what was right? There are a lot of idiots with kids who became idiots because being an idiot is all they've ever known.

It's not all about the young people being in the wrong -- Who gave birth to them, raised them, and taught them what was right? There are a lot of idiots with kids who became idiots because being an idiot is all they've ever known.

A lot of it though was peer pressure. I'm not saying its right but all of the sudden, 20 years ago Opera and Doctor Phil and some other expert comes on your TV and says 'We've been doing it wrong all these years. Do this and this and this' and 90% of parents said 'That's ridiculous.' But the other 10% had their soapbox and finally had a voice to be able to helicopter over their children and justification for bubble wrapping the world.

The problem is then that 10% goes to the schools and says to the teachers 'I've been doing it right all along. You need to change this and this and this.' 10% of people may not seem like a lot but when all of them are putting pressure on the school board, they start looking to make a change.

Change happens at school and kids come home saying 'Teachers say this and this and this,' The 90% of parents maybe becomes 80% or 70%. Then the kids coaches and other supervisors get on board, and the percentage becomes smaller and smaller.

Now we are at the point where this percentage of parents making the kids the ones in control have the majority. Kudos for those who have and still do stick to their guns. There are a lot of idiots out there that will try to convince you that you are wrong at every turn.

Edited by jeremy84

The high schools in this area seem too be getting back into promoting the trades.

I have been approached by a couple different schools; that have ask, if I would be willing to bring coop students in.

So far I have had maybe 10 or 12 kids through here; ages ranging from 15 -18 years old. It's a bit of a coin toss whether the kid is worth our time to train or if they're here for what they think will be an easy credit. It only takes a couple of days to find out who the deadwood's are.

The older kids that have really put an effort into the coop; I've gone out of my way (Along with the school counselor) trying to get them into a shop and hopefully an apprenticeship.

A couple of them I wish that I had room for them here; but the size of my shop and the 2 techs that I have working for me are good guys; that have been with me for years. (one approx 23 years and the other for at least 15 years).

My point being is that there are still a lot of good young people out there; who are not afraid to work and make something out of themselves.

There's a couple of the kids that still stop in from time to time; just too say hello and let me know how their apprenticeship is going.

Those are the feel good times.

Dan